Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Morels Cafe closing

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Morels Cafe closing

by Alanna H » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Was very sad to see this, as members of my Louisville family absolutely love Morels.I wish them lots of success in future endeavors.

From their Facebook page:

It’s with a heavy heart I have to tell you that Morels will be closing as of August 18th. I spoke about it with our amazing staff first, and we are trying to offer jobs in other places inside our company. With that said, if any restaurants are looking for help, there will be some awesome people looking for employment.

I am keeping the property at 619 Baxter as we reformulate a plan. We will continue to increase our catering services as well as offer private events and pop ups. We are also working to provide our deli offerings around the city in multiple locations, including customizable offerings. It would be a huge help if you could request our deli items at establishments you visit to help spread the vegan goods! This certainly is *not* the end of Morels, and I’m hopeful we will be back one day when the time is right.

We are excited to partner up with Logan Street Market, and will continue to keep the morels legacy going through our Louisville Vegan Foods booth there. We will have all of our products including the Vegan Jerky, Toppins, Whelpdale chocolates, Morels deli items (our classics and some cool new items!) and Ashley’s “Sugar High” baked goods at at the end of August. Ashley, our superstar baker has partnered with Louisville Vegan Foods recently, she will continue to sell her poptarts and other pastries all over town. She has a website opening soon where you will be able to place custom orders. We’re hoping to open her own bakery location in Old Louisville the summer of 2020.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Morels Cafe closing

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I hate to see Morels go. It was fun! I think I saw a longer version of that post in which Stanley explained in more detail that the move was necessary because his Vegan Jerky has really taken off, been picked up by Whole Foods, and now occupies all of his time.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 pm

I think this is the second thing he's had to close due to the vegan jerky company taking up all of his time. Anyone else remember the Morels food truck?
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Ron H wrote:I think this is the second thing he's had to close due to the vegan jerky company taking up all of his time. Anyone else remember the Morels food truck?

Yeah, but I think that was planned for the Morels food truck to evolve into Morels, right? With a gap in between?
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:Yeah, but I think that was planned for the Morels food truck to evolve into Morels, right? With a gap in between?

Not that I know of. At that time, Morels was still the crepe restaurant.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 am

Ron H wrote:Not that I know of. At that time, Morels was still the crepe restaurant.

True. I just meant when he parked the food truck it was with the idea of going bricks-and-mortar when he found a place that would work. Which turned out to be the no-longer crepe restaurant. I think the cereal restaurant was somewhere around there, too. :twisted:
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

It's across the street from Morels, basically, and two stores down from Spinellis.

I always thought Morels was supposed to be a vegan deli, which I don't think it ever really became. (Of course, I like what it was a lot more than a vegan deli.)