Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Havana Rumba, DelFrisco, Charim hit by building closure

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:44 pm

A friend who takes her dog to a groomer in the small strip on Oechsli (behind where the old Sears used to be) is reporting that the building was apparently condemned by inspectors today, forcing the businesses to vacate immediately. See below for follow-up.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Havana Rumba, DelFrisco, Charim hit by building closure?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Yes, bad news. I still have only the outlines, but people at Del Frisco's and the Middletown Havana Rumba confirm that the Oechsli Avenue shops were ordered closed today. Half Peach and Charim Korean, in the same building, are reporting on their FB pages that they were forced to close July 19 because of "a falling roof" in their part of the building.

No word on reopening, but the fragmentary information we have makes it sound very serious.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Havana Rumba, DelFrisco, Charim, hit by building closur

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:A friend who takes her dog to a groomer in the small strip on Oechsli (behind where the old Sears used to be) is reporting that the building was apparently condemned by inspectors today, forcing the businesses to vacate immediately. This includes Havana Rumba, Del Frisco, Charim Korean and Half Peach, as well as the dog groomer and possibly other businesses in the building. See below for follow-up.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Havana Rumba, DelFrisco, Charim hit by building closure

by Carol C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Oh my :shock: Mags has a grooming appointment in the morning!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Here's a link to the story on WDRB: https://www.wdrb.com/news/roof-collapse ... 0dbcf.html
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 pm

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 pm

A sad day. Charim and the stalls east of Havana Rumba were covered in red tape a few days ago, then fenced off shortly thereafter, but the rest of the building remained operational. It looked pretty dire. On my way home today, a voice in the back of my head told me to drive by to see whether anyone was making repairs to the roof, and I encountered the same scene as the reporters, with all of the businesses in that building shuttered.

Since it's my "go to" restaurant, I feel very lucky to have dined at "the original" Havana Rumba just last night, as it sounds as if that may be the last night it is ever operational in its original location. I hope the owner(s) and the employees of HR and the other businesses are not put in a bad place as a result of this incident.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 pm

User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 pm

We have been semi-regulars at Charims ever since that Hot Bytes meet up there years ago. Love everything about Charims.So sad for all the folks affected.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 pm

After seeing the story on WAVE3 news this evening I'm betting the entire plaza will end up being torn down. Their video now shows that entire sections of the roof have completely collapsed into Charim restaurant.

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:51 pm

I haven't seen the news tonight, but the word on the street (I literally work on the same street) is that the building is now totally condemned. It's a terrible day for Louisville's Independent Restaurant community.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Mark R. wrote:After seeing the story on WAVE3 news this evening I'm betting the entire plaza will end up being torn down. Their video now shows that entire sections of the roof have completely collapsed into Charim restaurant.

The video looks bad. Part of the building might be salvageable, it looks like it was built in three sections with brick firewalls in between. On the other hand, it may make more sense financially to just tear it down and sell the land.

Edited to add: Had family in town this afternoon and had a late lunch / early dinner at the Middletown Havana Rumba. We were delighted to have one of the regular waiters who had been displaced from the St. Matthews location as our waiter. Food, drinks, and service were excellent, as always. I hadn't been to that location in a while and forgot how large it was, but apparently not large enough--there was a sign in the adjacent stall in the shopping center that HR is expanding into that space! :o
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:58 pm

HR sues landlord - Needless to say, I'm definitely on the restaurant's side here! :wink:

I've been to both of the other HR locations and Mojito Tapas since the closure and have seen waitstaff from the St. Matthews location every time, so it looks like they are taking care of the displaced employees.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

Nathaniel C wrote:HR sues landlord - Needless to say, I'm definitely on the restaurant's side here! :wink:

I've been to both of the other HR locations and Mojito Tapas since the closure and have seen waitstaff from the St. Matthews location every time, so it looks like they are taking care of the displaced employees.

I think we are all on the side of HR in this case, hopefully all the other restaurants will do the same thing!

Glad to hear that the employees of HR are being taken care of, hopefully the employees of the other businesses affected are also being helped by other businesses.

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:19 pm

One month later, the front section of the roof over the Charim side of the building has almost completely caved in (this appears to have happened in approximately the past week). I seriously doubt the building will ever be repaired. In the meantime, it's an eyesore.