Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Valentine's Day

no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Valentine's Day

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 am

Valentine's Day . . . a.k.a Amateur Night in the restaurant biz. Anyone aware of restaurants that do a great job on this evening?

I just received an email announcement about a very nice Valentine's Day dinner at Proof on Main. Four courses of Chef Paley's terrific food in a special V-Day Menu.

sadly, I will be starting a trial on Thursday so no fancy dinner for me that night. :cry:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Valentine's Day

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Valentine's Day . . . a.k.a Amateur Night in the restaurant biz. Anyone aware of restaurants that do a great job on this evening?

Not much specific help here, but in general I recommend against serious dining out on Valentine's, Derby Day or Mother's Day, the "Amateur Night" trio in Louisville, as far as I can tell.

That being said, generally speaking the best places do the best job under tough circumstances, so Le Relais certainly ought to do better than most on Amateur Night. Where things really fall apart is when eateries get greedy and try to cram in more tables and more customers than they can handle in order to maximize returns on a special evening.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 am

My last time dining out on V-Day was a debacle. I ordered a bottle of wine, and the server came back to tell me they were out of it. Ok. So I ordered another. Same thing. I ordered another. Same thing. After about 5-6 bottles, I finally asked him to find out what they did have. It was hilarious.
no avatar
User

Kimberly W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 pm

by Kimberly W » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:01 pm

I have never been, but I seem to recall several people raving about Melillo's Valentine's special dinner....
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Valentine's Day

by Jackie R. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Valentine's Day . . . a.k.a Amateur Night in the restaurant biz. Anyone aware of restaurants that do a great job on this evening?

Ya know, it is my experience that Valentine's Day is the easiest busy day of the year for anyone working it. All of the parties are little deuces and not rushing a thing. The hardest part for the guest is getting the reservation. Once there, they are given the best of everything in an atmosphere of whispers and roses.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:11 pm

I've started a running list of Valentine's Day events/specials. If you know of any I should add to the list please let me know.

And to get to the original question of this post, I've heard White Castle does a nice job with their Valentine's Day special. ;)
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:13 pm

Last year we went to the Intermezzo Cafe at Actor's Theatre for dinner and a cabaret show featuring Sarah Stivers. It looks like they're doing it again this year: Intermezzo Cafe - An Evening in Paris

We actually went several days before Valentines Day, so it wasn't berserk. We enjoyed it.

Hey Ron, by the way, we went Napa River Grill last weekend, and I ordered the "Bistro Steak". It turns out bistro steak is another name for hanger steak, which is something I think you look for in restaurants. NRG's version wasn't as good as L&N's version when I had it there. NRG still hasn't moved to the new place (it is a move - not a second location - right??)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 pm

Jay M. wrote:NRG still hasn't moved to the new place (it is a move - not a second location - right??)

Correct. It will move <i>from</i> Dupont Square <i>to</i> a new building in Westport Village. Firm word now is that the move will not take place until after Derby, though, according to the owner, J.D. Rothberg, who told me that when I was phone-interviewing him yesterday about the KRA Restaurateur of the Year award. He said they'd rather go through Derby on the old, familiar ground than try to handle Derby craziness and new-location craziness all at the same time.
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 pm

Check the CJ friday 2/1/08 for a list of restaurants and V-day specials. They called us today about what we are doing.
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Oops. Must be next Friday.
no avatar
User

MollyCooley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm

East End

Valentine's Day One-Stop-Shopping

by MollyCooley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:00 am

great article from CBS News detailing tips for Valentine's Day....everything from finding a date, to making dinner reservations, to finding the perfect gift....to choosing the right wine. Some of the website names are just plain hilarious (and hopefully not offensive to some). Hope this helps!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/ ... 8709.shtml