Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Noche Mexican BBQ to open Aug 3

by Kim H » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:52 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Noche Mexican BBQ to open Aug 3

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:26 am

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. They've had significant delays, which isn't surprising when you consider they're converting an old church building into a restaurant. :shock: But I'm hoping it's going to be well worth the wait!
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Been waiting so long, I have lost my desire for BBQ!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one...
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:They've had significant delays, which isn't surprising when you consider they're converting an old church building into a restaurant.

I loved Joe Bologna's (also a converted church) when I lived in Lex.
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Checked it out last night. My advice is wait for awhile. Service was horrible. We waited an hour for a table. A full third of the tables never seated with people. The prices are fairly high, al a carte brisket burrito $14. It’s smallish. $12 house margaritas in a rocks glass. Brisket was tasty. Looks like a few things have been dropped from the menu already.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks for the report, Bill. That's not surprising in the opening weeks of a popular new place, although I've often thought it would be a great gesture for a new spot to offer discounted pricing until they get it together. (Note: Not going to happen.)

This is why I generally don't hit a place for review in the first few weeks. September is looking good.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Really?!
A $12 house margarita? What would a top shelf be I wonder.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 am

Bill R wrote:Checked it out last night. My advice is wait for awhile. Service was horrible. We waited an hour for a table. A full third of the tables never seated with people. The prices are fairly high, al a carte brisket burrito $14. It’s smallish. $12 house margaritas in a rocks glass. Brisket was tasty. Looks like a few things have been dropped from the menu already.

I read your review on Yelp. Noche is getting reamed for all of the above by many. Understaffed, meh food, over-price cocktails, etc.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 am

I’m shaking my head. I certainly don’t profess to be an authority on restaurant retailing ( I have a little experience but heck that’s been years ago. ) but I found some glaring inconsistencies with their menu pricing that had me puzzled. For instance -
- a side of guacamole is $9 (a bit steep I think but, OK, maybe the presentation is amazing.)
But then a half rack of ribs is only $13? Isn’t that about what you’d pay at any run of the mill bbq place? A chicken fajita is $12? I know the cost of avocados has gone up, but did chicken prices escalate and beef rib prices fall as well?
What am I missing here?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Gonna cut them some slack for awhile and let them work through opening issues. It’s within walking distance, so we want them to prosper. Stopped for a drink only tonight, which wasn’t going to happen based on the bar crowd and reported 2 hour wait for a table, so continued down the street for sushi.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm

This place may not be for me...

I don't drink alcoholic beverages...strike one.

I'm on a retiree's budget...at the prices in the posts...strike two.

BBQ used to be in my top 3 meal choices, but my old taste buds are a changing...BBQ is probably down around 10 now...strike three?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm

I don't really post anymore, but I after reading some of this along with the more ridiculous reviews on Yelp (one star, posted on opening night, because she couldn't get one of the dozen seats at the bar -- what is wrong with people?!?), I had to chime in.

The Rollout -- I don't care how well prepared a staff is. Hit them with these levels of volume and there will be problems. Two hour wait last night, 2.5 tonight. Why they opened last week on a Saturday, I don't get, but they have been slammed. Tonight, and opening night when I ate there, every table was taken. Tables did not sit un-bused.

The Servers -- I ate at the bar, was there for 45 minutes. During that time, all three bartenders checked on me. My order was taken quickly, food did not take long at all though it was crazy and they were 86'ing things (rice, margaritas) left and right. And, as a past server, I know that things WILL get better. Why? There is a lot of money to be made at this place. Many places up and down B'Road sit half empty on weekend nights, but servers at Noche have a clear financial incentive to work there and do well.

The Food -- Good, not great, but like New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, I'm not expecting them to be at the top of their game on Day One. I had the Flautas and the portion was good enough, but I needed some rice which, as noted, they were out of. Looking around, most things seem to be of the shareable variety, mine no exception.

The Prices. Look, this place spent a year-plus extensive renovations, so I don't know if people are expecting Q'Doba prices, but I don't get the issue. Only a few things on the menu are above $15, see for yourself: https://www.nochemexicanbbq.com/. I can't speak about cocktails, but the craft beer that I had was $6, on par with other places. They put a lot of money in this place, so of course they have to earn it back.

So, I'm not in line with the critics of this place, but it certainly makes sense to wait. It is slammed, the bar is mostly used for eaters so not a place to wait for your table, and there aren't other close hangout options, leaving one to sit on the steps. But hey, I'm eight houses down, you are welcome to wait on my porch swing and have a beer. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:03 pm

SilvioM wrote:I don't really post anymore,

Welcome back, Silvio! You're welcome to post any time.

Actually, we were about 20 houses down Roanoke today, but I'd still rather wait a few weeks - or maybe a couple of months - before I go. Since I'll be reviewing at some point, I want to give them a chance to work out these kinks.