Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Las Margaritas Mexican Cuisine

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Another big thumbs up! Just had lunch there and it was indeed very good. While I didn't sample the chihuahua cheese, I did try a dish I'd not had before: Tlayollos con Pollo and I was very happy with the selection. While different from anything I've had from La Lupita, there were some similarities, particularly with how the masa is steamed in banana leaves. All in all, a wonderful blend of flavors in the dish and a welcome change from more Americanized Mexican dishes. Next up will be the Tlayollos con Puerco which has a different sauce. Yep, I'll go back.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Had lunch there today. The prickly pear margarita was interesting, but not super strong. I had the pipian con pollo and thought it was bland. My friend had the salmon and shrimp dish and she seemed to like it.

I think I'd like to go back and try the tlayollos.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

We also went yesterday for a late lunch/early dinner. We were the only customers there until right before we left, and they were setting up for a big party. It was all delicious and great service. I had the Talyollos con Puerco (pork) and it was yummy. Very fresh and the pork was super tender. I do think it could have used a little hit of salt. Hub had the Conchita Pibil, also very tender pork. Our server was genuinely excited when Hub ordered the pibil. It’s his favorite dish. Hub thought it was very good, but he would have liked a little more spice. The chips were good and crunchy (and warm). The salsa was very good. Thick, spicy but not too spicy, clearly house made.

I also had the prickly pear margarita and was definitely fuzzy-headed when we left. Maybe I had a bigger pour, or different metabolism. It was yummy. The owner (or manager) came over to ask about the food and he said they use fresh fruit for the margaritas.

So, everything was great, but honestly the star was the plantains. The best ones we’ve ever had.

Everyone was so nice. We will definitely go back. The owner said they’ve been busy on Friday and Saturday nights, but not much else.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 pm

I forgot to mention the salsa - it definitely had a kick to it, but wasn't too spicy. I really enjoyed it, it was the perfect blend of spiciness vs. being so hot that people complain. It also had cilantro, which I love.
Previous