Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Burger Girl fills our diner needs whenever we’re up

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am

Burger Girl fills our diner needs whenever we’re up

The Bison Combo, featuring two quarter-pound patties at Burger Girl Diner.

I got the jingle “two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun” stuck in my head the other day, and there was no way to stave off the crave. So I blasted off to get one. No, not Mickey D’s. Better. The double bison burger at the new Burger Girl Diner takes two all-beef patties to a whole new level.

Actually, just about everything we’ve tried in two visits to Burger Girl was satisfying. It’s good to have a diner and burger joint in the stretch where Crescent Hill meets St. Matthews; and there’s more on the way: Owner Dan Borsch, who also operates Burger Boy, Old Louisville Tavern and Toonerville Deli, will soon open Hillcrest Tavern a few blocks west on Frankfort Avenue. If Burger Girl is Burger Boy’s East side twin, so Hillcrest Tavern will echo Old Louisville Tavern.

Borsch and crew have rebuilt the former quarters of Bluegrass Burgers, reopening last March in a bright, sunny venue that offers just about everything that a proper diner needs: A row of round, red-topped spinning chrome diner stools lined up along a counter so you can watch the cooks fashioning your meal on a classic flat-top grill while you eat. Not coincidentally, it looks a lot like Burger Boy.

Comfortable black leather-look booths line big plate-glass windows across the front of the small room so you can watch the Frankfort Avenue world go by while you dine. If you’d rather get away from it all, a calming sky-blue side room houses several more tables away from the rush.

Better yet, you can go any time you want to. The slogan, “If you’re up, we’re open,” greets you at the front door. That’s what proper diners do: When you want them, they’re there.

The tri-fold menu, a virtual clone of the Burger Boy bill of fare, features a full panel for breakfast items (available 24x7), and another panel for all manner of burgers. There’s also a choice of sandwiches, soups, salads, and desserts.

Only two of the 20 breakfast options will cost you more than $10: Rib eye steak and three eggs is $13.99; a three-egg Western omelet combo is $11.99. All the rest ranges in price from $4.99 (for buttermilk pancakes) to $9.49 (for a turkey bacon or turkey sausage or Philly cheesesteak omelet).

Ten takes on the burger – all cooked to at least medium, the menu warns – range from $7.99 (for a grilled turkey burger) to $13.99 (for the bison Burger Girl combo with fries and a soft drink). That combo, like the $9.99 Burger Girl combo with Angus beef, features, yes, two all-beef patties with lettuce, cheese, pickles … you get the idea.

We decided to compare three kinds of burger. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/burger-girl

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Burger Girl Diner
3334 Frankfort Ave.
709-5454
https://facebook.com/burgergirldiner

Robin Garr’s rating: 86 points.

Noise level: Conversation among our tablemates was easy during a moderately busy lunch hour. (Average sound was 73dB, the level of normal conversation,]

Accessibility: The entrance is level, so wheelchair users can roll in, and the restrooms are equipped for wheelchair users. There was no space reserved for disabled patrons in the small parking area.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Burger Girl fills our diner needs whenever we’re up

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am

I need to get over there soon. I love both Burger Boy and Old Louisville Tavern. BTW, next time you're there for breakfast, try the corned beef hash. If it's like Burger Boy's, you won't be disappointed. Easily my favorite in town.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 pm

We love Burger Girl. So glad they are in the neighborhood.

While my spouse was out of town for 10 days around the July 4 holiday I was a Burger Girl regular. My highlight was a just-after-midnight BLT and Coke after working a long day at the Crescent Hill July 4 celebration at the Peterson-Dumesnil House.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Ate there with a friend today-- and it was delish! Had the Burger Girl combo-- will have to get the corned beef hash next time! It was fairly busy-- not surprising after a nice review!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I LOVE them! I do wish they offered more sides. Baked beans, potato salad, etc.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Ate there with family last weekend. Had the Old Louisville Burger with their seasoned fries, which are always wonderful. We also ordered their onion rings (they were out of the spicy kind, so will have to try those on another trip). Service was very good, and the manager came by our table to make sure we were enjoying our food. I'm glad to have them in St. Matthews.

I'll also say this--they must have some heavy duty ventilation. The last time I went to Burger Boy, my clothes smelled like grease, as they do after visiting many authentic hole-in-the-wall establishments. There was no such side effect at Burger Girl.