Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Crab cakes

no avatar
User

Ann D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:58 pm

Crab cakes

by Ann D » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 pm

I’m on a search for genuine crab cakes. Not a ton of filler or imitation crab. Any suggestions? Thank you.
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Re: Crab cakes

by Robert Carnighan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Take a direct flight to BWI. Either take the metro (station within the airport) directly to the inner harbor or Uber to Fells Point. Try Coopers crab cake special on Wednesday. Crab pieces the size of your little finger. We have done it as a day trip with no luggage.
You will never eat crab cakes in Louisville again.

User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 am

If you can’t swing a trip to Baltimore, I’ve found that some of best crab cakes in town are in the seafood case at Whole Foods. Get the jumbo lump ones, not the cheapies (relatively) made from the backfin. I’m from Maryland and broil my crab cakes. It’s easy. Put a dab of butter on top, stick them on a cookie sheet under a low broil. Watch carefully, turn when golden, butter again. Broil some more. Serve with saltines and a beer.

Last time I checked, WF crabmeat was on sale for $30/pound which isn’t terrible price wise . If you’d like my crab cake recipe (from either grandma) you can just pm me. They’re easy to make.
no avatar
User

Ann D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:58 pm

by Ann D » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 am

Unfortunately, swinging a day trip isn’t feasible. Although I love the Inner Harbor. I will check out Whole Foods for sure. Thx.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 am

Rusty Scupper in Baltimore for the win.

CRAB CAKE (1).jpg
CRAB CAKE (1).jpg (79.81 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:30 pm

This is one area when the chains (specifically Morton's and Ruth's Criss's) outperform any local . . . both have about 90+% lumps, little to no filler, and appropriately high prices (tho cheaper than an airplane to Baltimore!)
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:I’m from Maryland and broil my crab cakes. It’s easy. Put a dab of butter on top, stick them on a cookie sheet under a low broil. Watch carefully, turn when golden, butter again. Broil some more. Serve with saltines and a beer.

I’ve got a good recipe but I hate frying them. I don’t know why it never occurred to me to broil them. I will now. Thanks Alexis.

When I want to save time I’ve found some pretty good crab cakes at St Matthews Seafood. (Admittedly it’s been a year or so since I’ve bought them there.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Second vote on Ruth's Chris! One of the best restaurant crab cakes I've had with very little filler. Also, Costco sells a good sized canned jumbo lump for about $25 that I've made great crab cakes with. Great quality.

Have a great day!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:35 pm

It's been a long time since I've eaten there, but Bonefish used to serve awesome crab cakes. Mostly lump crab meat, hardly any filler, and quite flavorful. They're offered on the appetizer menu.

I also like to make my own, and I get jumbo lump crab from Costco and mix with Old Bay Crab Cake Mix, but that mix has gotten really hard to find. I wonder if they still make it because it's even hard to find online, unless you want mass quantities. I found a recipe on Old Bay's website I thought I might use:
https://www.mccormick.com/old-bay/recip ... lAQAvD_BwE
Or I might hit Alexis up for one of her grandmother's recipes!
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Kim, Highlands Seafood in Chenoweth Square carries the "Old Bay Crab Cake Classic Mix" in individual packets. Bought some yesterday in addition to their lump crab--hope to make crab cakes this weekend!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 am

I didn't know that, thank you Carol! I know one thing that will be on my menu next week! :)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Carol C wrote:Kim, Highlands Seafood in Chenoweth Square carries the "Old Bay Crab Cake Classic Mix" in individual packets. Bought some yesterday in addition to their lump crab--hope to make crab cakes this weekend!

I've never heard of that mix before, is it good? Where do you get your crab?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 am

Mark - I really like it, but I love Old Bay seasoning. Have you had it? It's a staple in a Maryland pantry, mostly for seafood. The crab cake mix just simplifies making good crab cakes with almost no filler.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Kim H wrote:Mark - I really like it, but I love Old Bay seasoning. Have you had it? It's a staple in a Maryland pantry, mostly for seafood. The crab cake mix just simplifies making good crab cakes with almost no filler.

Yes, we use Old Bay seasoning all the time. We also really like a seasoning from Savannah Seafood Company but unfortunately we haven't been able to find it recently and we think the company went out of business. We'll have to try the crabcake seasoning.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Mark, I got my crab at Highlands Seafood in Chenoweth Square (not Middletown!). They have 1 lb containers of Claw?, Lump and Jumbo Lump. We got the Lump and plan to make them this weekend with the Old Bay packet that Kim recommended. Will report :D !
Next