Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gogi Korean BBQ

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

286

Joined

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Gogi Korean BBQ

by Rich S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm

The owners of this restaurant are applying for a liquor license to operate at 1055 Bardstown Road, where Buffalo Wild Wings used to be. ("Gogi" means "meat" in Korean.) They had the front door open while working on the place today, and it looked like they've gutted the interior. My guess is they've got several months of work left before it can open.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21824

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Gogi as in bulgogi, I guess. I'm always happy to welcome another Asian eatery in the popular food zones. Thanks for the report, Rich.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

423

Joined

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Location

St Matthews

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Madeline Peters » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 am

I could not be happier! Korean is my favorite cuisine and it seems this chain has great reviews.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

286

Joined

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Rich S » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:I could not be happier! Korean is my favorite cuisine and it seems this chain has great reviews.


Is it really part of a chain? I know there are places with similar names in other cities, including Columbus, Ohio, but I thought that was just a coincidence. The full name of the Louisville restaurant will be "Gogi 1055 Korean BBQ," according to the legal notice for the liquor license.
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

82

Joined

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by MichaelBolen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Relax guys, this is a well respected local operator doing a new to market concept. Prepare to grill your own bulgogi tableside which you see in most other large cities. I cannot believe no one in Louisville has done this yet anyways...
This place will be hot
Louisville is finally growing up and becoming a true "big city." It's nice to see with lots of development everywhere.
User avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

250

Joined

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm

MichaelBolen wrote:Relax guys, this is a well respected local operator doing a new to market concept. Prepare to grill your own bulgogi tableside which you see in most other large cities. I cannot believe no one in Louisville has done this yet anyways...
This place will be hot
Louisville is finally growing up and becoming a true "big city." It's nice to see with lots of development everywhere.


For years, Lee's had grill tables. Then, a few years ago, they disabled them. I was told it was a code issue.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21824

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:For years, Lee's had grill tables. Then, a few years ago, they disabled them. I was told it was a code issue.

Didn't Koreana II have them also?
User avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

250

Joined

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Eslinger wrote:For years, Lee's had grill tables. Then, a few years ago, they disabled them. I was told it was a code issue.

Didn't Koreana II have them also?

That was the place on Preston, correct? I believe they did, but I wasn't 100% sure (I also couldn't remember the name).
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21824

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Didn't Koreana II have them also?

That was the place on Preston, correct? I believe they did, but I wasn't 100% sure (I also couldn't remember the name).

Yes, that was the place - corner Preston and Gilmore Lane, I believe, with an excellent Asian grocery next door. I know they had the grill apparatus, but it wasn't being used when we were there for lunch. I assumed they were there for dinner, but maybe there's a problem with Korean barbecues? It's not the indoor flame, because Japanese teppanyaki eateries are all over. But maybe the Korean process requires a bigger flame that either the fire department or air pollution control can't go along with?
User avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

250

Joined

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Like you, I'm not sure I ever saw the ones at Koreana II being used.
As to Lee's, my guess has always been that neither the restaurant owner nor the landlord wanted to spring for a sprinkler upgrade. Fingers crossed that Gogi will have them.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21824

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:Like you, I'm not sure I ever saw the ones at Koreana II being used.
As to Lee's, my guess has always been that neither the restaurant owner nor the landlord wanted to spring for a sprinkler upgrade. Fingers crossed that Gogi will have them.

We shall see! I'm dubious, though. The more I think about it, now that the issue of gogi vs teppanyaki came to mind, the Japanese slice-and-dice requires a flat grill top that can easily be fired by gas or even electricity, which is pretty routine in a restaurant setting as long as there's an overhead exhaust fan. But charcoal indoors? I expect that's going to take some serious sprinkler and ventilation work.
User avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

250

Joined

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Eslinger wrote:Like you, I'm not sure I ever saw the ones at Koreana II being used.
As to Lee's, my guess has always been that neither the restaurant owner nor the landlord wanted to spring for a sprinkler upgrade. Fingers crossed that Gogi will have them.

We shall see! I'm dubious, though. The more I think about it, now that the issue of gogi vs teppanyaki came to mind, the Japanese slice-and-dice requires a flat grill top that can easily be fired by gas or even electricity, which is pretty routine in a restaurant setting as long as there's an overhead exhaust fan. But charcoal indoors? I expect that's going to take some serious sprinkler and ventilation work.

I think you are on to something with your observation about gas/electric grills vs.charcoal. I lived in Lexington in the early 90's and Ararang Gardens had legit charcoal grills. They were presented somewhat like the parillada at Palermo Viejo. On the other hand, I seem to recall the grills at Lee's being gas.
no avatar
User

Michele Brinke

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

112

Joined

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:34 am

Location

Louisville

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Michele Brinke » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 pm

We have used the grills at Koreana 2 many times Just seat yourself at one of those tables and the very sweet owner/server will hook you up with everything.
They are closed for remodeling so hopefully they keep them.
Michele Brinke
The Children's Pantry
502-290-4584
http://www.thechildrenspantry.com
User avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

250

Joined

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks for that update Michele. I'm almost embarrassed to say I thought they had closed. I guess it speaks to how often I get over to that part of town these days. Since I'm a huge fan of Korean food, I'll make a mental note to check them out online periodically to see when they reopen. If memory serves, my last impression was that I loved the food but thought the ambiance failed to match. I guess the remodel was due because that visit was probably fifteen years ago.
User avatar
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

25

Joined

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by michael.powell » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:57 am

Yes, Koreana II has table side BBQ. It is great, and for $34, two people can eat two meals. We recently had some Korean BBQ in Portland and while it was good, I remember longing for Koreana.

Really looking forward to Gogi, as it's closer to where I live.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign
cron