Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Who loves mustard????

no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 am

Does wasabi count? I love the green stuff. That intense , eye blistering hot and then ... poof! it's gone . I can't do peppers that linger with their heat and keep burning long after I tire of the heat.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Re: life expectancy

by Jeremy J » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:38 am

Deb Hall wrote:Folks,

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but one of the national food mags (either Cooks Illustrated or Fine Cooking: I get both) did a comparison of Dijon mustards and determined that age, not as much as brand, was the biggest determination of quality/flavor. I believe the mustards optimally would be kept for less than 6 months (and the production date matters too). I was shocked: I also have a refrigerator full of condiments and never expected that there would be serious quality degreadation on mustard.

ummm...let's just say the cast of mustards in MY reality show, are constantly being voted of. Via eating. You assume we just have them around to look good...biiiiig mistake.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm a fan of mustards although i have none at home currently since the girlfriend hates all things with flavor :)
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Who loves mustard????

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Dang, you asked this at just the wrong time for me ... we just recently had a refrigerator cleanout and I was forced to dispose of a few crusty bottle ends. Before that, I would have had a more imposing list.

Still ...

Inglehoffer Stone Ground
Gulden's Spicy Brown (a good, cheap go-to brown mustard for everyday use, btw)
Zatarain's Creole Mustard
Maille Dijon
Colman's English Mustard powder

I'm surprised more of you don't snob on Grey Poupon like I do, by the way. Mass-market, dumbed-down, made in New Jersey by Kraft General Foods and given a French look and an expensive advertising campaign, isn't it pretty much the mustard equivalent of Bud Lite? Gimme <i>real</i> Dijon, dammit! ;)
no avatar
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:12 pm

My all time favorite...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 pm

We've got a variety like everyone else but one of our favorite general use mustards is Nance's Sharp & Creamy mustard. It goes especially well with ham and summer sausage but also works with many other things. It's certainly the mustard we use the most for direct use (with the possible exception of yellow mustard).

Unfortunately we haven't been able to find it locally as much as we used to. The only place that stocks in to the best of my knowledge is Doll's. Does anyone know anyplace else locally that stocks it?

Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:11 pm

My fridge is full of the stuff! I'll have to check once I get home to give you the rundown.....
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm

I love condiments, especially mustards. My most recent discovery is Noyo Reserve's Cognac and Pepper Mustard, which I found at The Spice Merchant in Chenoweth Square (Shop there! I want it to stay open! Buy Local First!).
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Dang, you asked this at just the wrong time for me ... we just recently had a refrigerator cleanout and I was forced to dispose of a few crusty bottle ends. Before that, I would have had a more imposing list.

Still ...

Inglehoffer Stone Ground
Gulden's Spicy Brown (a good, cheap go-to brown mustard for everyday use, btw)
Zatarain's Creole Mustard
Maille Dijon
Colman's English Mustard powder

I'm surprised more of you don't snob on Grey Poupon like I do, by the way. Mass-market, dumbed-down, made in New Jersey by Kraft General Foods and given a French look and an expensive advertising campaign, isn't it pretty much the mustard equivalent of Bud Lite? Gimme <i>real</i> Dijon, dammit! ;)

I'm a hick I guess....I like Grey Poupon just fine for what it is. Good on the run of the mill burger, ham on rye,....

I'm not that big a fan of course ground mustards except on grilled meat or sausages. We got some in the fridge I'm sure....
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...I'm surprised more of you don't snob on Grey Poupon like I do, by the way. Mass-market, dumbed-down, made in New Jersey by Kraft General Foods and given a French look and an expensive advertising campaign, isn't it pretty much the mustard equivalent of Bud Lite? Gimme <i>real</i> Dijon, dammit! ;)

But, but !!:

Jay M. wrote:..."teaser" issue of Cook's Illustrated (likely what Deb's referring to) with a taste test on Dijon mustard:

Recommended: Roland Extra Strong, Grey Poupon, Delouis Fils, French's Napa Valley style, and Barhyte.
Not recommended: Maille ( :oops:), Plochman's, Roland Organic, and Inglehoffer Hot.

Cook's seemed to do a pretty rigorous tasting (blind, 20+ tasters with breaks to prevent "palate fatique", etc.). The Grey Poupon came in second behind Roland (an American company manufacturing in France).
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

we have a ton of mustards in the fridge. I just did my own blind tasting and Maille won. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:we have a ton of mustards in the fridge. I just did my own blind tasting and Maille won. :lol:

Yeah, but you prefer Hearty Burgundy, so your palate is questionable. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Mark Head wrote:I'm a hick I guess....I like Grey Poupon just fine for what it is.

Nah, Mark, don't go there. I've already admitted that I am the snob. This time. ;) It just occurred to me that Gray Poupon has a lot in common with some of the food products that many of us love to hate ... corporate, faux origin, mass-produced, you know the drill. But I'll admit it: If I find the stuff on my table, I'll slather it on and won't complain. I was just curious what everyone else thought.

Good on the run of the mill burger, ham on rye,....

I'm not that big a fan of course ground mustards except on grilled meat or sausages. We got some in the fridge I'm sure....

I'd pick Gulden's Spicy Brown as my basic everyday affordable mustard, with Zatarain's for special occasions. But then, I love coarse-ground and seeded mustards.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Jay M. wrote:Cook's seemed to do a pretty rigorous tasting (blind, 20+ tasters with breaks to prevent "palate fatique", etc.). The Grey Poupon came in second behind Roland (an American company manufacturing in France).

I loved Cook's when it first came out and declared it my favorite foodie mag (except for its wine reporting, which started insipid and moved to non-existent), but for some reason I later fell out of love, and when I did, I fell hard. Which is by way of saying that I believe they did such a test, but I would rather try it myself.

Guess I'll buy a jar of Grey Poupon. As I told Mark, I've already admitted that *I* am the snob here, it just seemed that as a grocery-store product of Kraft General Foods that tries to market at a much higher level, it seems like a natural target for the forum's foodies and locavores. (Which reminds me, does anybody make a local mustard?)
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:we have a ton of mustards in the fridge. I just did my own blind tasting and Maille won. :lol:

Yeah, but you prefer Hearty Burgundy, so your palate is questionable. :D

I thought Maille was made with hearty burgundy?
PreviousNext