Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Diamond Street Grub & Hops open in St. Matthews

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am

Filling in the Mellow Mushroom space with "chef-driven street food" and a gazillion beer taps. Opened this past weekend. Anyone been?

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/foxleerestaurants/
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: Diamond Street Grub & Hops open in St. Matthews

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Had lunch there today with family. We had a Cuban sandwich with street fries, a Chicago style footlong hot dog with broccoli salad, and sweet potato fries.

I never ate at this location when it was Mellow Mushroom, so unfortunately, I can't comment on what changes were made from the old restaurant. Looking at it with a fresh set of eyes, it's a very large, neat space. They weren't busy at all at lunch time on a Sunday.

Unfortunately, we weren't terribly impressed with the food. The Cuban sandwich was pretty good, although one member of our group thought the pork was too watery and caused the bread to get soggy. The street fries had good seasoning. The sweet potato fries were decent, but needed some honey or other dipping sauce. I was very disappointed with the Chicago dog. In a departure from a traditional Chicago hot dog, it was delivered in a plain bun (with poppy seeds scattered on top of the hot dog), mustard, and very finely diced tomatoes, pickles, and onion on top. (Chicago hot dogs generally have a poppy seed bun, a whole pickle spear on top, tomato slices or wedges, relish, and sport peppers.) It didn't have a whole lot of flavor, and the broccoli salad was even blander--it was screaming out for some celery seed, pepper, dried cranberries, or anything else to provide something distinctive to my tastebuds.

It took a fairly long time to receive our order, and the wait staff was slightly inattentive about drink refills.

Silver lining: It appeared one of the nearby buildings had a notice on the door that an alcoholic beverage license had recently been applied for.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Gee whiz, you sure had bad luck. Considering 66 people recommended it on their facebook, 5 of 5 rating, and every single comment had a great, amazing, hit it out of the park descriptive with each raving review. And we all know that these are real people that had real experiences there.
I just don't know what to think (scratching my bald head with a confused look in my face).
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 pm

James Natsis wrote:Gee whiz, you sure had bad luck. Considering 66 people recommended it on their facebook, 5 of 5 rating, and every single comment had a great, amazing, hit it out of the park descriptive with each raving review. And we all know that these are real people that had real experiences there.
I just don't know what to think (scratching my bald head with a confused look in my face).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 am

With Lonnie's right around the corner serving up a legitimate, authentic Chicago dog, I don't understand why anyone would offer something like that. I checked out the menu to this place right after opening and it seems to be just a jumbled cluster of offerings of which nothing really stood out.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

James Natsis wrote:Considering 66 people recommended it on their facebook, 5 of 5 rating, and every single comment had a great, amazing, hit it out of the park descriptive with each raving review. And we all know that these are real people that had real experiences there.

I didn't really read their Facebook reviews until just now. :lol:
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Tried it again tonight. Sat at the bar and the service was much better than my first visit. Beer selection was decent, but didn’t see anything as adventurous as some of the things Lou Lou Food & Drink (same owner, I think) sometimes puts on tap.

Pork banh mi was good on its own as a sandwich, but the name implies it would have some sort of Asian seasoning which just wasn’t there. I kicked it up a bit with some Sriracha sauce. I had the southwest mac and cheese as a side and it was a really neat take on mac and cheese. I was more impressed this visit and may go back.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I think its fine. Ive been a few times and will go back, but concede that a lot of the appeal is it being conveniently located to my home.

In my opinion, most of the dishes are good, but are riffs on the dishes their names invoke, rather than representative of them.

I like the drunken noodles, as they are spicy asian style noodles, which is right in my wheelhouse. I dont think theyre particularly authentic though.

My wife likes the chicken bulgogi, but its nothing like chicken bulgogi. Its chicken in sauce over rice. I like the flavor, but its not what it says it is. The burgers look good, but i haven't tried them. The poutine and short rib philly were both good in an indulgent sort of way

I had a similar experience as nathaniel with the cuban.

Like i said, i find it pretty solid, but if someone else didnt, i wouldnt defend it too much, if that makes sense.

Edit: called nathaniel “nathan”. Didnt want to start any forum beef