Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Where can I get a good pupusa?

User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Where can I get a good pupusa?

by Alexis Rich » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am

We were in Northern California this week and I ate pupusas for the first time. It’s like a South American hot pocket - cornmeal pocket with tasty filling. It’s not an empanada. If a quesadilla and a tamale had a baby, it would be a pupusa.

Now I need more! The Google tells me I need to go to La Guanaquita on Taylor Blvd. Has anyone been there? Can anyone tell me about it?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Where can I get a good pupusa?

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

We're going to Chapinlandia tonight for dinner - it's Guatemalan - while we haven't been there yet, we're going because of reviews by Robin et al describing their pupusas. (check out http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/tag/chapinlandia)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 am

Good luck, Andrew! It's been a while since my review, but we liked Chapinlandia a lot.

It's sad that Nahyla's in Middletown closed ... run by a Venezuelan family, it had great pupusas and other dishes too.

La Guanaquita on Taylor Boulevard is another good place for pupusas ... they offer a mix of fare from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

Here you go, Alexis: My La Guanaquita review from September 2016. No apologies for the politics in the intro. (Happily, the Trumpenwaffen haven't come yet, but my Spanish studies continue. :twisted: )

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/habla ... estaurante
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:01 pm

My dear friend is from El Salvador and swears by La Guanaquita on Taylor Boulevard. When she is homesick for pupusas, it is her go-to place. Good luck!!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good luck, Andrew! It's been a while since my review, but we liked Chapinlandia a lot.

It's sad that Nahyla's in Middletown closed ... run by a Venezuelan family, it had great pupusas and other dishes too.

La Guanaquita on Taylor Boulevard is another good place for pupusas ... they offer a mix of fare from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

I'm pretty sure I saw where the former owners of Nahyla's will have a spot in the Logan Street Market.
no avatar
User

Jay L

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am

by Jay L » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

"Venezula by Nelson and Nahlya" will be in the Logan Street Market. They are the same people that had Nahlya in Middletown. Wonderful people. Great food.

Im not sure if they will be offering pupusa but can find out and report back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

jay.lesnak wrote:"Venezula by Nelson and Nahlya" will be in the Logan Street Market. They are the same people that had Nahlya in Middletown. Wonderful people. Great food.

Im not sure if they will be offering pupusa but can find out and report back.

Excellent news, Jay, and thanks! I was hoping Nelson and Nahlya would be back at some point.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good luck, Andrew! It's been a while since my review, but we liked Chapinlandia a lot.

Maybe because I haven't tried them before, but I was not impressed!

They were doughy, the cheese had blended in with the wrapping (eg: cheese flavored dough), and were very HEAVY. The other things on the menu (there were four of us, and two ordered other items than pupusas) were decent, but certainly not equal to the tops in the city. Maybe I'm not understanding Guatemalan food, very possible, but El Mariachi (albeit Mexican) is fun, tons of food but not HEAVY, and about the same price.

The couple we went with hail from Cuba, and the woman said the pupusa's were not up to normal Cuban standards. She had never been before, but had a jones for pupusas and this did not satisfy her needs.

Oh, well.

Dessert at least was great - we went down the block a half mile to Panchitos, ended up with ice cream and sorbets rather than the natural juice popsicles (which look gorgeous!) and were very very happy campers!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:24 am

Sorry your experience wasn't good, Andrew. I wouldn't ding El Mariachi too badly on the authenticity thing ... as I recall, they're from Oaxaca, which is getting down close to the El Salvador border, so I'm sure they're no stranger to pupusas.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 am

I wouldn't ding El Mariachi too badly

I did not read it as "dinging" El Mariachi...in fact Andrew indicated that El Mariachi was fun, the food not heavy, etc.

I do believe he was dinging Chapinlandia.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am

Jerry C wrote:
I wouldn't ding El Mariachi too badly

I did not read it as "dinging" El Mariachi...in fact Andrew indicated that El Mariachi was fun, the food not heavy, etc.

I do believe he was dinging Chapinlandia.

+1
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:+1

That's what I get for posting too early and before coffee. Oops! :oops: