Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Al Hamra’s lavish buffet takes us to Jordan and more

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:40 am

Al Hamra’s lavish buffet takes us to Jordan and more

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Red snapper and sumac-rubbed chicken with sauteed onions flank a porton of kushari, a spicy rice, pasta, and lentil dish.

Here’s something you won’t often hear me say: I love an all-you-can-eat buffet. Specifically, I love the buffet at Al Hamra Halal Mediterranean Buffet at Mid City Mall. Buffet, schmuffet: This is the only place I know of where you can fill up on Jordanian specialties and pull forkfuls of tender, juicy meat off a whole roast lamb.

I accept that it’s unusual to praise a buffet, though, because – with a few worthy exceptions that I’ll get around to shortly – foodies generally loathe buffets, with good reason. Why the hate? Buffetphobia seems to stem from several concerns, most of which I share: Too much food, a monument to gluttony. Overpriced, unless you eat more than you should. Boring selection. And do those sneeze shields work? You get the idea. It feels prudent to be wary.

But there are exceptions. I’m willing to suspend disbelief for an Indian buffet or a lavish weekend brunch. To that list I now eagerly add the Al Hamra buffet. It’s bountiful, it’s carefully curated, and it’s good.

Al Hamra fills the space once occupied by Mid City Super Buffet, an otherwise forgettable Chinese buffet that, as the name implies, held an exceptional number of buffet tables.

The new tenants haven’t changed the decor much. The room still features red pagoda-look roofs over the buffet tables and Asian-style art etched into the glass booth dividers.

But we came for the food, and Al Hamra delivers. I counted seven buffet tables housing at least 70 buffet pans. That’s a lot of choice ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/al-hamra

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Al Hamra Halal Mediterranean Buffet
Mid City Mall
1250 Bardstown Road, Suite 19
394-4801
facebook.com/alhamrabuffet

Robin Garr’s rating: 86 points

Noise level: The busy lunchtime crowd generated a happy buzz, but tall glass panels surrounding three sides of our booth created a relatively quiet space. (The average sound level within this sanctuary was 73dB, the sound level of normal conversation.)

Accessibility: Buffet table service may be difficult for unassisted wheelchair users with limited hand and arm mobility. Otherwise, the restaurant space and restrooms are accessible to wheelchair users..
no avatar
User

Anthony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Al Hamra’s lavish buffet takes us to Jordan and more

by Anthony G » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm

I keep seeing some reviews saying that there is an automatic 20% tip on the bill. One lady reviewing it showed a picture of it with her review. I ate there 2 weeks ago and I did not get that charge. I wonder what the policy on that is. Did you get the auto 20% tip charge?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 pm

No, I did not. I've heard those reports too, but I'm inclined to attribute them to problems setting up point of sale rather than any serious attempt to defraud.

If anyone has problems like that going forward, though, I'd like to hear about it.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 am

We went last week and really enjoyed the buffet...and had heard about the service charge also. Two adults were $15.99 each. One child (6-12) was about $7.99 I believe. Under 6 was free. The waitress did ask the kids their ages directly, which was slightly irritating, but otherwise we rec'd stellar service.

When the bill arrived, it did show an additional 20% service charge. However, once my card was charged, the final bill requiring my signature did not contain the charge...so I tipped up to slightly north of $50.

Thanks.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:When the bill arrived, it did show an additional 20% service charge. However, once my card was charged, the final bill requiring my signature did not contain the charge...so I tipped up to slightly north of $50.

Thanks.

I think I'd be having a conversation with my credit card provider about that ... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:32 pm

I tried it today. I'll agree with Robin's review. The price will probably keep me from coming more than once a month or so, but it'll be a nice treat.

One minor beef, though. Occasionally I'll see a restaurant do something that makes absolutely no sense. When Roux was in business, for example, I could never understand why they didn't serve Saltines with oysters. At Al-Hamra, it's no artificial sweetener. I only drink ice tea with Equal or Sweet-N-Low. I ordered an unsweet tea and asked for sweetener to go with it. No dice. Since the tea was already on the table I felt obliged to drink it, even though I detest tea with no sweetener. I'm sure someone will think I should have just asked for something else, but thanks to years working on the other side of the table I hate to be a pain.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks for the review, Richard! Oddly, I had a friend who went by today and didn't have a very good experience. Would you mind telling what time you were there? I wonder if the mood varies depending on the shift or something.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:26 am

Some components of some artificial sweeteners are produced using alcohol and, as such, are not Halal. They may be playing it safe and just not providing any artificial sweeteners?
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:57 am

We went about 12:30 on Saturday. There were only a few other tables, and the servers were hanging out at a table in the back, but they checked on us regularly. The buffet was in good shape, although with such a large selection I can see how some of the food could get old later in the day.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Enjoy it while you can folks. It won't be around long.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Enjoy it while you can folks. It won't be around long.

Why do you say that? I’ve only been twice, but both times it seemed like there was a decent crowd.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Iggy C wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Enjoy it while you can folks. It won't be around long.

Why do you say that? I’ve only been twice, but both times it seemed like there was a decent crowd.

They have at least 4 things going for them:

1) they've run a successful business for many years at the Falafel House.

2) they have space for receptions and parties in the back.

3) they have halal meats that appeal directly to a growing Muslim community.

4) they offer a unique overall buffet option in town.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 am

A friend and I ate dinner at Alhamra at about 5:30 tonight-- it was still somewhat empty when we left at 6:30. But it was very good! I tried a sample of almost everything. The roast lamb was excellent, as was the moussaka and musakhan! I actually didn't spot any kushari or kubba, which was a disappointment since they were highlighted in the review. They not only had grape leaves but meat-stuffed zucchini in a yogurt sauce. There were several kinds of hummus, and of course baba ganoush. The lentil soup was delicious, but unfortunately the cup slipped from my hand, fell on my plate, and I got it all over my shirt and the floor! It was amazingly easy to wash off, and I've got to say, the staff was very quick to clean it all up! Not anyone's fault but my own, lol. As for payment, I actually paid with cash, so I avoided the whole question of the 20% tip altogether. A very good visit!
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Ate here Friday. It was decent, but not my favorite. The rice cooked in coconut milk is outstanding. They had some sort of naan with onions and beef on top, which wasn't very good. The baklava was dry and not gooey, but tasted excellent. The other things I tried, such as chicken, beef, squash, etc., were okay, but nothing stood out.
no avatar
User

Anthony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

by Anthony G » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:43 pm

They just reopened. today. I guess they survived.
Next