Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Go take a gander at Gander!

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Go take a gander at Gander!

by MarieP » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 pm

My parents and I lunched today at Gander, which is Goose Creek Diner's brother at 111 S. English Station Rd. Though the Courier Journal gave it bad ratings when it first opened (another reason to distrust the paper's palette), we would have to wholeheartedly disagree! We took advantage of the weather and sat on the (quite small) patio. My dad enjoyed a breakfast Hot Brown, which featured egg and a nice cut of ham rather than turkey. They also offer the traditional, which I would imagine is equally as delicious. My mom and I savored the Louisiana shrimp and cheese grits, which not only boasted a generous serving of shrimp but andouille sausage, green pepper, and onion as well. The fried green tomato BLT may be what I'll get the next time...it should be great if the tomatoes are as good as Goose Creek Diner's. We definitely will return!

What's good for the Goose really is good for the Gander!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Go take a gander at Gander!

by Carla G » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Happy to hear of another option outside the 265 loop.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Yes, their fried green tomatoes are as good as as those at Goose Creek diner! I am in love with the Fried Green Tomato BLT! This place is two blocks from my house so it has become my go to restaurant. Also, not to be missed are their Shrimp and Grits!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:26 pm

We tried going there several weeks ago and were severely disappointed. I'm on their mailing list and every Monday they have a special which includes the entrée with one side and a beer or glass of wine for $10. We normally receive an email on Friday or Saturday saying what the following weeks item is going to be. We had been there yet so we decided to try it.

When we got there we were seated promptly and the place looked nice. However, when we asked about the Monday special had no idea what we were talking about. She quickly returned telling us they were out of it. Since we were there it a little after 6 PM this doesn't seem likely. Despite this we went ahead and ordered dinners anyway. I don't remember what either 1 of us had thought I was he wasn't very memorable. The real frustrating part was as we were sitting there eating our dinners we actually saw several tables around us being served the special. Okay, maybe the problem was our waitress but you would think for something they advertise extensively the entire waitstaff should be knowledgeable about it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm

1. My wife has been to Gander a couple of times for lunch with friends, and all have been uniformly underwhelmed. They felt the food was a dollar or two more than Goose Creek Diner, and no better.

2. Regarding running out of the special: we do go to Goose Creek on occasion, and typically they get totally slammed around 4:30-5:00 (we love going then, as we are 'senior citizens' but at the Diner before 7:00 we're the youngest people in the place by many years!). They do periodically run out of stuff for the "normal" dinner-time crowd, but sometimes make additional batches that become available around 7-ish.
Andrew Mellman