Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Buffets: Love 'em or hate 'em?

Hate 'em! Gross!
23%
Love 'em! All I can eat!
15%
Other (explain)
62%

Total votes : 13
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

All you can eat buffets: Gross or great?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 am

All you can eat restaurant buffets! Love 'em or hate 'em? Either way, tell us why.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: All you can eat buffets: Gross or great?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am

I don't love them and don't hate them. It's nice to try lots of options sometimes, but buffet food is rarely as fresh or high-quality as what you get ordering off a menu.

The type of buffet makes a difference, too. An Indian buffet is often good, as they usually have lots of curries and stews that don't go downhill if they sit in a warming tray for a while. Breakfast buffets, on the other hand, often have a lot of options that suffer quite a bit after just a few minutes of sitting.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am

Good points, Jeff. I hate most buffets but love Indian buffets, and love the new Jordanian buffet in Mid City Mall, which is actually why I'm asking this question. :)
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Me too. I can only handle Indian buffets (Tikka House particularly) and now El Hamra.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Two excellent picks!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Me too. I can only handle Indian buffets (Tikka House particularly) and now El Hamra.

Ha, Al Hamra and Bombay Grill would be the only two on my list. I like going to a Brazilian steakhouse about once every five years, so might as well put Brazeiros on there too.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Like Indian buffets for variety and still like Jade Palace once in awhile. Ryan's etc. Feh!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Agree with others . . .

Most Chinese buffets, no, because the food doesn't hold well (especially fried dishes) . . . Indian yes, because as stated stews can be held.

Also like Golden Corral . . . all veges are fresh and made in - house, the salads are being made continuously right in front of you they are breaking down lettuce et al!), the pans are designed to serve six-eight, so they are replenished continually, and (other than salt) the food really isn't seasoned so you don't have to worry about spicing levels changing over time. You can eat very very bad at Golden Corral, or - if you choose a salad, grilled entree, vege side dishes, baked potato, and skip the dessert you can eat a very nutritious and decent dinner! (plus, Golden Corral has given a lot to veterans charities, starting back before it was popular to do so)
Andrew Mellman
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm

We usually only choose to eat at a buffet when it is Indian (Bombay Grill is our favorite) occasionally we let our 6 year old Granddaughter pick her favorite place to eat then we know it is " Golden Cow" she has been calling Golden Corral that since she could talk and I find it fitting since we all eat too much when we go there :roll:
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:46 am

I'm fine with Indian buffets and ate at Dak Shin yesterday. I'm in a meetup group that meets at Golden Corral periodically, and it's surprisingly ok/good.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm

In the realm of Chinese buffets, Jumbo Buffet next the the Showcase on Hurstbourne is by far our favorite. They seem to be busy enough that the food doesn't sit for a long time. We tried Yoki Buffet off Blankenbaker when it first opened; it was ok but not great enough to keep us coming back. Most others seem to be in the old, dried food category.

For Indian buffets, Shalimar is consistently good. Dakshin has been great at times, but terrible at times as well. It's pretty hit-or-miss. Anyway, my wife hates the place so if I go I'd have to go alone. Himalaya had a buffet on Saturdays when it first opened, but the last time we went they didn't have it set up, so we quit going.

The fried chicken at Golden Corral is some of the best I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:In the realm of Chinese buffets, Jumbo Buffet next the the Showcase on Hurstbourne is by far our favorite. They seem to be busy enough that the food doesn't sit for a long time. .

One thing I liked about JB, besides the food being good, is that they offer buffet-to-go. Fill up a styrofoam container, pay according to weight, and be on your way! As someone who's had weight loss surgery, I can't eat very much in one sitting, but instead I eat small portions several times a day. Having that container to pick on whenever I was hungry was really nice. I was able to justify the cost, which is something I can't do at sit-down buffets.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 pm

The Ethiopian buffet at Abyssinia on 5th St downtown is really good. I have been a regular there since its inception. I think it is among the better food options for lunch. It is also rather unique as a buffet. As mentioned above regarding Indian food, Ethiopian food holds up relatively well on a buffet line.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 pm

If I must go to a Chinese buffet, the one on Dixie Hwy at Hunters Trace (not sure if it's Upper or Lower) - something like Hibachi Sushi Buffet - is the best ... lots of stuff not fried, refreshed frequently! I don't ear their sushi...seems fresh, but so sloppily made I worry about it
Andrew Mellman
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:18 am

I will say, the lunch buffet at Pizza Hut was my Shangri-La when I was young. Sadly, the disappearance of sit-down Pizza Hut restaurants and the implosion of PH's food quality has made that nothing more than a fond memory.
Next