Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jewish deli coming?

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Jewish deli coming?

by Deb Hall » Wed May 29, 2019 7:12 am

Can it be at long last?? This from Logan Street Market about their latest vendor: Who's ready for a menu full of creative and classic jewish foods? From packed bagel sandwiches to NYC style appetizing classics..... Cold Smoke Bagels has got you covered! Meet them at the Market when we open in July!

Oh, what I’d give for a real bagel with a schmear and great Jewish pastrami. :D
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Jewish deli coming?

by Mark R. » Wed May 29, 2019 7:43 pm

We can only hope! I better have a huge stock when they open because they are going to get swamped. Hopefully they bake the bagels on-site fresh every day and not important them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

Counting down the days! This Queens girl needs some good deli in her life!!!!
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Can it be at long last?? This from Logan Street Market about their latest vendor: Who's ready for a menu full of creative and classic jewish foods? From packed bagel sandwiches to NYC style appetizing classics..... Cold Smoke Bagels has got you covered! Meet them at the Market when we open in July!

Oh, what I’d give for a real bagel with a schmear and great Jewish pastrami. :D

I'm pretty excited, too! Full disclosure, I know the owner and think his work is really good. This will be an appetizing shop in the mold of Russ and Daughters in NYC. So, it will have bagels, smoked fish, and pickled herring and almost certainly no pastrami or other meats. Sasha has some very real chops in the kitchen and honed his skills in the motherland - Brooklyn. Hopefully, he'll post a message here.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Jon K wrote:This will be an appetizing shop in the mold of Russ and Daughters in NYC.

https://www.russanddaughters.com/
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Love Russ and Daughters!! Can't wait. :D
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Jon K wrote:
This will be an appetizing shop in the mold of Russ and Daughters in NYC. So, it will have bagels, smoked fish, and pickled herring and almost certainly no pastrami or other meats. .

Jon,
Interested in your comment on "no meat'- is the owner a vegetarian/pescatarian? Most Jewish delis I've been to serve both meat and non-meat dishes- in the Kosher ones they just prepare them and serve them separately. Don't try ordering a meat sandwich with cheese on top... :wink:
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Almost all appetizing stores serve only fish and dairy products and no meat. Back when delis and appetizing stores emerged in NYC they created a division of labor that was driven in part by kosher dietary laws that require meat and milk to be separated.
For more about the difference between appetizing stores and delis:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetizing_store
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Cool, thanks.
So my subject line is actually incorrect, but I'll leave it as is unless Sasha suggests otherwise- pretty sure most readers are going to know ( and like) a Deli more than an appetizing store. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Cool, thanks.
So my subject line is actually incorrect, but I'll leave it as is unless Sasha suggests otherwise- pretty sure most readers are going to know ( and like) a Deli more than an appetizing store. :wink:

Agree, more people are familiar with delis. Hopefully, they’re going to love appetizing when they get to know it.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu May 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Still looking forward to it but it being a true Jewish delicatessen and instead being a appetizing store. I still like them but truly adore the Jewish meats that they don't have. Of course if they really have good bagels that they make in-house it may offset everything else!

I'm sort of surprised that he's going this way. It certainly seems like a Jewish deli would have a lot more attraction to a wider range of people than this will. We'll have to wait and see how it works out.

no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Thu May 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Mark R. wrote:Still looking forward to it but it being a true Jewish delicatessen and instead being a appetizing store. I still like them but truly adore the Jewish meats that they don't have. Of course if they really have good bagels that they make in-house it may offset everything else!

I'm sort of surprised that he's going this way. It certainly seems like a Jewish deli would have a lot more attraction to a wider range of people than this will. We'll have to wait and see how it works out.

I’m not surprised. The number of failed Jewish-style delis in Louisville is pretty high.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Jon K wrote:I'm sort of surprised that he's going this way. It certainly seems like a Jewish deli would have a lot more attraction to a wider range of people than this will. We'll have to wait and see how it works out.

I’m not surprised. The number of failed Jewish-style delis in Louisville is pretty high.[/quote]
I love the idea that it's an appetizing store. Can't wait!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

I certainly realize we've had several Jewish Delis fail in Louisville but you have to admit that overall the food they have his appetite into much larger portion of the population. I corrupt in Rochester New York which have a fairly large Jewish community and we had about 6 or 7 Jewish delis but no appetizing store. Some of the delis had a section that carried appetizing store foods but we had no purely appetizing store.

no avatar
User

sasha.chack

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm

by sasha.chack » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi All!

Great to hear feedback and follow this thread! My name is Sasha and I'm the owner of Cold Smoke Bagels (http://www.coldsmokebagels.com) opening in July in the Logan St. Market. I agree that when most people think of Jewish cuisine, they think of Deli. But there's a new movement to revitalize some of the more obscure cuisines within the Jewish food traditions. "Appetizing" has made this comeback recently with Chef's and business owners bringing back Eastern European Jewish cuisine, perfecting pickling, breads, latkes, cured and pickled fish and more! While I know it's new to Louisville, our main menu will be bagel sandwiches with a focus on a variety of smoked and cured fish, homemade cream cheese schmears and lots of veggies. That bagel sandwich concept is something that Louisville can get behind! In addition we'll have a deli case of grab and go appetizing items: different flavors of marinated herrings, schmears, pickles, smoke whitefish salad, olives and more! Below is my working menu. Please give me some feedback!

-Sasha

Every day, All DAY

Egg & Cheese on a Challah Roll 4
- add Pastrami Salmon + 2

Bagel with a Plain Schmear 3

Bagel with a Flavored Schmear 5
Dill & Caper
Preserved Lemon
Horseradish
Kalamata Olive
Vegan Cream Cheese

Specialty Bagels

The Classic - Smoked Lox, Tomato, Red Onion, Caper, Plain Schmear 7

Fress - Pastrami Salmon, Pickled Red Onion, Horseradish Schmear 8

The Bubbe – Beet Cured Lox, Tomato, Red Onion, Dill-Caper Schmear 8

Veg – Tomato, Cucumber, Sprouts, Pickled Red Onion, Plain Schmear 6

Geshmak– Smoked Whitefish Salad, Dill-Dijon Schmear, Tomato, Pickled Red Onion, Greens 8

Weekend brunch
Three Potato Latkes 5
Grated Taters, Carrot, Onion, Sour Cream

The Shmulka Bernstein 8
Two Latkes topped with Ginger Pickled Salmon, Diced Radish, Carrot & Wasabi Cream

Avocado Mash 9
Open Bagel, Avocado, Lox, Pickled Tomato, Miso Dressing
Next