Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Cafe

User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

The Cafe

by Jimmy R » Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 pm

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: The Cafe

by Richard S. » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

I guess I'm out of touch, but this story is the first reference I've ever seen to a "Paristown" neighborhood.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Richard S. wrote:I guess I'm out of touch, but this story is the first reference I've ever seen to a "Paristown" neighborhood.

It's near Frogtown. :D
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 am

Richard S. wrote:I guess I'm out of touch, but this story is the first reference I've ever seen to a "Paristown" neighborhood.

https://www.paristown.com/

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/525ede_f ... 56f501.pdf
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 am

I just tried it last week for the first time since they left the Antique Mall-- so good! I truly hope the location is the only thing that changes-- famous last words, right? I wonder if the move is for parking reasons-- I went on a "light" day, and we still had to park a half-block away. A friend recommended the benedictine bacon sandwich (Queen Anne)-- it was delish!!!
Attachments
E5FFC3E6-09FB-4D6A-BEEE-30141E4FCE41.jpeg
E5FFC3E6-09FB-4D6A-BEEE-30141E4FCE41.jpeg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Back to the original post, I think Sal and Cindy Rubino ran The Cafe with a lot of personal attention and care. They're going to be hard to replace, although I'm reassured at least a little by the new owners' commitment to change nothing.

That whole little Paristown triangle is about to burst out with a lot of memorable new things. It's going to be fun to watch.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Wed May 15, 2019 12:43 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Robin. Hence my concern. They are such nice people. So kind and responsive to their customers. And the food! I just hope it stays as wonderful as it's always been.

And Marie, I'm with you on the Benedictine bacon sandwich. So tasty.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:07 pm

The wife and I went to The Cafe this morning for breakfast. We had Huevos Rancheros and Southern Grits Scramble. Both were very good.

The place is really cool. There is a traditional closed in area with a French bistro motif (with huge posters from the era)) and a piano next to the bar. The atrium is huge and offers a lot of space between tables and a glass roof that gives it an open air type of feel. There was a 2-piece jazz band (stand up bass and saxophone) playing when we were there. It reminded us of a bit of brunch in the French Quarters of New Orleans some years back. We also liked the fact that one can walk straight into the Stoneware visitor's center from the inside.

It was busy, but not packed--we did not have to wait for a table (11:00 arrival w/o reservations). Many of the en vogue breakfast places in town are packed on the weekends with long waits and cramped quarters. The Cafe roomy, jazzy, non-waiting ambiance was a cut above.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:10 pm

A friend and I have eaten lunch at The Cafe on a monthly basis for more years than I can remember.

We've been back twice since things reopened - in mid-June and a couple weeks ago.

The menu is virtually unchanged and the dishes that we have ordered have been same as before as regards quality, presentation, etc. The prices seem to be a dollar or two higher than in the old location. Based on the small sample size of two visits, they are busier than they used to be - we have always met at 11:30 and pre-pandemic never had a problem getting a table. We had a 15-20 minute wait both visits.

As we were leaving earlier this month it was disconcerting to see the big red "C" sanitation rating on the hostess podium. Had i noticed that I would not have eaten there - that's a long-standing rule of mine.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:03 pm

Mike D wrote:As we were leaving earlier this month it was disconcerting to see the big red "C" sanitation rating on the hostess podium. Had i noticed that I would not have eaten there - that's a long-standing rule of mine.

Mike, there is NO safer time to eat at a restaurant than when the C is up. It almost invariably was the result of a critical violation that may be as simple as a dishwasher bringing his own drink into the kitchen or some dingbat stashing a bottle of window cleaner or Clorox on a table. They are given a week or 10 days to clear up the issue before the inspector comes back for an unannounced recheck, and you can beat that they are ready.

I'm sure you feel justified in avoiding the C sign, but by the time the C is up, the place is safe. You can count on that. If a place is unsafe to eat, it won't be a matter of a letter on the door. The inspector will shut 'em down until it's safe, period.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:44 am

Robin, I understand that it should be safe to eat at a place right after a "C" rating for the reasons you mentioned. You've made that point previously in this forum, and I agree.

When a restaurant gets a "C" they get removed from my rotation for a long time, maybe permanently. If something that serious happened at least once, they've lost my confidence in their ability or willingness to keep it from happening again.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:47 pm

That "C" stands for Go Cards! .. noted!