Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

KRA honors Napa River's JD Rothberg at Gala

by Tony P. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 am

I am proud to report that Louisville's own J.D. Rothberg of Napa River was named "Restauranteur of the Year" last night at the KRA Gala. It was a first class and fun filled event with terrific food and music.

It was great rubbing elbows with fellow restaurant owners, managers and suppliers who share the same vision of making Kentucky a culinary contender.

Tony Palombino
Boombozz
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Tony, thanks for posting! I've edited your headline slightly to draw more attention to it. Here's a more detailed wrapup that I put together this morning for Food & Dining, where it will appear in the News & Notes column of the edition coming out next week. In addition to JD, lots of other familiar local food-industry names won recognition from their peers:

Restaurant group honors Napa River's Rothberg, others

J.D. Rothberg, an owner of Louisville's Napa River Grill and Wild Eggs, was honored as Restaurateur of the Year at the Kentucky Restaurant Association's Restaurateurs' Gala, a celebration of industry professionals, in January.

"It's really nice to be recognized by your peers," Rothberg said after the award. "As we all know, there's all kinds of awards, but to be recognized by the people who know what you do and who understand the trials and tribulations that go along with it just makes it more exciting to get.

"It's not just a single award," he added. "It takes a team to be successful, and there's nobody more important to me than my team and my managers."

Finalists for the Restaurateur of the Year Award were Bruce Drake and Brian Mccarthy of Lexington's Bluegrass Hospitality Group; Rod Rupp at Ferd Grisanti's, Mike Wong at Oriental Wok, and Andrew Masterson of Masterson's and Captain's Quarters, all in Louisville; and Butch Wainscott at Greyhound Tavern in Fort Mitchell.

Mark Tandy, KRA's director of programs and events, listed the other state-wide award winners:

2007 Restaurant Neighbor Award: Steve O's Italian Kitchen, Buckner; Applesauce & Co., Crestview Hills, and Vincenzo's, Louisville.

Culinary Student of the Year: Alexis Bradford, Bowling Green Technical College.

Chapter Members of the Year: Mary Richie, Jefferson Club, Louisville.

Manager of the Year: Mary Ellen White, Kingfish Restaurants, Louisville.

Supplier Of The Year: Michelle Bollman, Republic Distributing Co.

Lifetime Achievement Award: Bruce Cotton, Retired Past President, KRA.
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

thanks Robin and Tony!

by Stacy Roof » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm

The Restaurateur's Gala was wonderful last night! All the candidates were worthy, and it was obvious by the support of their co-workers and peers.

A few of clarifications -
Mary Richie with the Jefferson Club is the Employee of the Year
We presented 4 Chapter Member of the Year awards:
Louisville Chapter - Rory Wilson, Derby Pressure Wash
Northern Kentucky Chapter - Jim MacFarlane, Courtyard Cafe
Bluegrass Chapter - Brian McCarty and Bruce Drake,
Malones/Sal's/Harry's/Regatta Seafood Grill/Aqua
South Central Chapter - Jamison Janda, Holiday Inn & Convention Center
Mike Wong of Oriental Wok in Ft. Mitchell

We're very proud of our nominees! Thank you Tony for helping recognize the great people that make Kentucky's restaurant scene so terrific!
Stacy Roof