Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Redundant Food Redundancies

by Adriel Gray » Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Pleonasms are my absolute favorite word conundrum. The "bilingual tautology" is probably the most prevalent in food, like with naan bread or queso cheese. I would just remind everyone to not be so harsh when you hear these things, it is just culture at large growing more comfortable with unfamiliar influences. I find it kind of endearing. #my2cents
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Pleonasms are my absolute favorite word conundrum. The "bilingual tautology" is probably the most prevalent in food, like with naan bread or queso cheese. I would just remind everyone to not be so harsh when you hear these things, it is just culture at large growing more comfortable with unfamiliar influences. I find it kind of endearing. #my2cents

Right, Adriel. I'd submit that "pizza pie" was the same kind of thing, back in the day when it was still a novelty in flyover country.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 07, 2019 11:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:Pleonasms are my absolute favorite word conundrum. The "bilingual tautology" is probably the most prevalent in food, like with naan bread or queso cheese. I would just remind everyone to not be so harsh when you hear these things, it is just culture at large growing more comfortable with unfamiliar influences. I find it kind of endearing. #my2cents

Right, Adriel. I'd submit that "pizza pie" was the same kind of thing, back in the day when it was still a novelty in flyover country.

That's a good one! Like "ramen noodle".
Previous