Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: To Touch a Straw?

by meghan.levins » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Ever watched a bartender make your drink? A cook make your food? Eaten at a church potluck or touched the tongs at a buffet and then popped a biscuit in your mouth right after? You could go mad contemplating all the ways germs can get in your mouth.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:16 pm

meghan.levins wrote:Ever watched a bartender make your drink? A cook make your food? Eaten at a church potluck or touched the tongs at a buffet and then popped a biscuit in your mouth right after? You could go mad contemplating all the ways germs can get in your mouth.

Right ... that way lies insanity. :mrgreen: Just remember, that which does not kill us makes us strong. And the Board of Health's inspection system gives us an edge.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
meghan.levins wrote:Ever watched a bartender make your drink? A cook make your food? Eaten at a church potluck or touched the tongs at a buffet and then popped a biscuit in your mouth right after? You could go mad contemplating all the ways germs can get in your mouth.

Right ... that way lies insanity. :mrgreen: Just remember, that which does not kill us makes us strong. And the Board of Health's inspection system gives us an edge.

First of all... lol

Secondly... I agree with the whatever doesn’t kill you statement. I’m rarely sick and I have always attributed that to biting my nails and years of drinking out of gross dive bar glassware. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 am

Gary Z wrote:First of all... lol

Secondly... I agree with the whatever doesn’t kill you statement. I’m rarely sick and I have always attributed that to biting my nails and years of drinking out of gross dive bar glassware. :)

Yeah, after dipping my fries in an open vat of mayo in a rosticeria on the wrong side of Cuzco, Peru, and (barely) living to tell the tale, and another time ordering a glass of delicious fresh orange juice on the beach after hiking in Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica and then, after I finished, seeing the guy rinse the communal glass in a bucket of much-used cold dishwater under his table, I figure nothing that Louisville can offer is going to hurt me that much.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 07, 2019 11:56 am

Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word is derived from Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity.
(taken from wikipedia)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 pm

One of the most memorable stories I’ve ever read is about a guy in Wisconsin who practices mithridatism:

http://reprints.longform.org/oh-no-too- ... nt-russell
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 pm

All aboard on the Nope Train! :shock:
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 08, 2019 7:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:Yeah, after dipping my fries in an open vat of mayo in a rosticeria on the wrong side of Cuzco, Peru, and (barely) living to tell the tale, and another time ordering a glass of delicious fresh orange juice on the beach after hiking in Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica and then, after I finished, seeing the guy rinse the communal glass in a bucket of much-used cold dishwater under his table, I figure nothing that Louisville can offer is going to hurt me that much.

Hard boiled eggs on a salad in a bar in Paris prior to a concert by the Paris Symphony ... for some reason I get sick every time I'm in Paris, including prior to a visit to Le Jules Verne when I could barely hold my head up. Still I love French food!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2019 7:55 am

I've been very fortunate in Europe, TP. I did get deathly ill in Verona once, but I attributed that to the flu rather than any particular food. The symptoms didn't make sense for food poisoning, not to mention that in my experience sanitation standards in Europe don't take second place to the US and might in fact be better.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 am

Good for you, Robin. For some reason, it's just Paris for me. I'm headed to London this Saturday and expect a belly-happy experience!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2019 9:11 am

Bon voyage!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks, sir. My fourth continent this spring!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word is derived from Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity.
(taken from wikipedia)

Some doctors are now saying that the way to get rid of the epidemic of peanut poisoning is to introduce children to small amounts of peanut butter on a regular basis.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
Previous