Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Louisville Cafe India brings Indian delights

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:05 am

Louisville Cafe India brings Indian delights

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Louisville Cafe India’s goat dum biryani, an iconic northern Indian rice and meat dish.

Once upon a time, not all that many years ago, the closest Indian restaurant to Louisville was in Cincinnati. I know, because I used to make that trip as often as I could. Indeed, as recently as the turn of the millennium there were still only about three Indian eateries in town.

But those days of deprivation are past! The recent arrival of Louisville Cafe India, popped up in the Middletown quarters abruptly vacated by Peking City Bistro last winter, pushes the metro’s count of Indian restaurants past a dozen, all of them on the Kentucky side of the river. Get with it, Hoosiers!

I was already feeling pumped by the arrival of Shreeji Indian Vegetarian Street Food on Hurstbourne last winter, so when I learned that Louisville Cafe India also features a substantial selection of Indian street fare – and more substantial entrees from many Indian regions as well – it didn’t take me long to race over there.

The decor seemed familiar if a bit dissonant, until I realized that the Indian restaurant’s thrifty owners apparently moved right in to the Chinese restaurant’s space without changing a thing. Chinese chariots sketched on pale gold walls, bright red-and-gold abstract patterns, and white tile floors remain. Window walls around two sides of the shopping center space afford plenty of light even through darkened glass. Sweet pungent incense wafted through the room from a burner under the counter, and two big-screen televisions were tuned to an Indian cricket game.

The colorful four-page laminated menu contains more than 100 Indian delights, about half priced under $5 and nothing over $8.99. Yes, that’s right: The menu tops out at $8.99 for a half-dozen entrees, including a few lamb and mutton dishes and entree-size rice-and-meat biryani. There’s a broad selection of both vegetarian and carnivore-friendly dishes.

We filled the table with large and small plates, and only belatedly realized that everything had been made quite spicy-hot, without discussion. We didn’t mind, but you might, so don’t hesitate to ask in advance. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/louis ... a-delights

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Louisville Cafe India
12412 Shelbyville Road
253-6777
http://louisvillecafeindia.com
https://facebook.com/cafeindialouisville

Robin Garr's rating: 84 points

Noise level: Conversation was easy with the restaurant less than half full. (Average sound was 70dB, the level of normal conversation, with peaks at 79dB, the sound inside a moving car.)

Accessibility: The entrance and restrooms appear to be accessible to unassisted wheelchair users.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Louisville Cafe India brings Indian delights

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:20 am

Hey Robin, FYI the HotBytes URL link above goes to your El Mariachi review.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am

Oops! Thanks. I’ll fix.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 am

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Looks interesting — we’ll have to check it out!
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm dubious of any other Indian restaurant in Louisville that isn't named Tikka House.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm

I like Tikka House. They are particularly good with Indian breads. But you gotta spread your wings and fly, man ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I'm not sure the reason for it but neither my wife nor I like Indian cuisine. We've tried multiple times at restaurants people who like Indian food have told us were very good. We went to a buffet one time so we could try multiple items to see if there was one we really liked and unfortunately again we didn't find anything that really hit the spot. We like just about every other kind of food (some of it too much) but have never gotten any fuzzy feelings about Indian food.

We really miss Peking City Bistro, the 1st and 3rd editions of it, the 2nd wasn't very good at all. I know there are many other Chinese restaurants but Peking City was certainly our favorite with our 2nd favorite being Jasmine. Of course Peking City Express on DuPont Circle is also very good and run by the same family that ran the bistro. Unfortunately however it's not very close to home and many times during the day traffic in that area it's ridiculous. You however and up there many times if we have a doctors appointment in that area.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am

Mark R. wrote:I'm not sure the reason for it but neither my wife nor I like Indian cuisine. We've tried multiple times at restaurants people who like Indian food have told us were very good. We went to a buffet one time so we could try multiple items to see if there was one we really liked and unfortunately again we didn't find anything that really hit the spot. We like just about every other kind of food (some of it too much) but have never gotten any fuzzy feelings about Indian food.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, Mark. Indian flavors are very bold and aromatic, and I guess that's not for everyone. I love it, though.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 am

I think Indian food is the only cuisine I could eat everyday and not get bored with it. It's probably my favorite. I was about to count Kashmir out for good because its getting funky in there (sticky floors, gag) but the lamb saag pulled me back in.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

neal.johnson wrote:I think Indian food is the only cuisine I could eat everyday and not get bored with it. It's probably my favorite. I was about to count Kashmir out for good because its getting funky in there (sticky floors, gag) but the lamb saag pulled me back in.

Yep, I'm with you on that, Neil. I've been a little shaky on Kashmir and also Shalimar over the years because of sullen servers (and rumors that Kashmir's servers, at least, are sullen because of tip pooling issues), but I wouldn't turn down a lunch invitation at either.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I cannot tolerate curry. I know, I know, blasphemy here on a foodie site, but what can I say...God made me that way.

Now that you know that, I have always avoided Indian food and restaurants...what do they serve that doesn't have curry (oh yea, if the restaurant smells like curry I will not be dining in.)

On a side note, my college age son once got a free couch from an Indian guy, and he had to get rid of it because they couldn't get the smell of curry out of it! (true story).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Sad but true, Jerry! No hate from here ... everyone's got a right to like what they like and don't like what they don't. ;)
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

Jerry C wrote:I cannot tolerate curry. I know, I know, blasphemy here on a foodie site, but what can I say...God made me that way.

Now that you know that, I have always avoided Indian food and restaurants...what do they serve that doesn't have curry (oh yea, if the restaurant smells like curry I will not be dining in.)

On a side note, my college age son once got a free couch from an Indian guy, and he had to get rid of it because they couldn't get the smell of curry out of it! (true story).

This. Back in my college days, I had a friend who lived in a dorm/apartment complex at UK with Indian students on the same floor. When he later moved in with us, we wouldn’t let him bring any of his furniture because the curry smell was so pervasive. You could honestly smell the curry before you walked in the door of that building. I’ve never recovered. Shame, too, because I’m sure I would enjoy much of what Indian cuisine has to offer. I’ve grown to like Thai curry though, so perhaps there’s hope for me yet.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 am

Jerry C wrote:I cannot tolerate curry. I know, I know, blasphemy here on a foodie site, but what can I say...God made me that way.

Curry dishes aren't Indian. Also, Indian restaurants serve a ton more than just curry. Also, you probably should have kept that couch story to yourself.
Next