Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

My pet peeve

User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

My pet peeve

by Jerry C » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:44 am

This is mine:

"Boneless Wings" - it doesn't look like a wing, it doesn't act like a wing, it doesn't taste like a wing! So why do we call this chicken nugget a wing? It seems to me to be no more than (possibly) white meat chicken, amalgamated, and formed into something from an oval to a rectangle. Just call it a "chicken nugget" (which on a real chicken is located...well, I am not sure where it is located).

I'm Jerry C., and that's my point of view.

What is your pet peeve (in the food industry)?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: My pet peeve

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 am

Jerry C wrote:I'm Jerry C., and that's my point of view.

What is your pet peeve (in the food industry)?

That's a good one, Jerry! I never could figure out the appeal of boneless "wings." Food professionals agree:
https://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/17 ... less-wings

My peeve? There are so many! A big one, though, is squirting "balsamic" (actually the low-price spread) all over, well, everything, which has the effect of hiding real flavors and making the dish sweeeet.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Vegetarian fare made to taste like or mimic the preparations and textures of meat. You would never imagine in your wildest dreams trying to make a ribeye taste like cauliflower. Stop it. It's a disservice to vegetables.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Following up with what Adriel said, I get really tired of vegans or vegetarians pushing their agenda on others. They like what they like, I like what I like. If they're not the same thing who cares, I don't try to force meat on them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 pm

No actual hatred to the individuals, but I hate the semi new restaurant practice of servers asking me if everything was either “wonderful” or “amazing”. Awful presumptuous, and I’m not susceptible to your Jedi mind trick. And how simple do you think I am? As a matter of fact, everything was delicious, but I’m 37 years old and I’ve seen plenty of short ribs in my day, so no, I’m not really amazed nor am I sitting in wonderment trying to determine what just happened and reconsidering my place in the world. Good meal, but I was able to make sense of it pretty easily, thanks.

Also, I don’t like olives. They nasty.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Dan E wrote:...Also, I don’t like olives. They nasty.

Except when accompanied by a martini- right?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:53 am

I want my hot food hot. Not warm, not tepid, hot. There doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue keeping cold food cold.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am

Same as Robin - enough with the balsamic on everything. As a pushy vegetarian (ha ha) it seems to be even more of a problem.

Somewhat related to Mark's post, who the heck are these people that you are hanging out with? Seriously.

My most recent pet peeve - restaurants who change their menus and don't update their websites/social media. As a pushy vegetarian, I might rely on menus more than most. I took my mom out for a belated birthday dinner last week. This was a relatively new place that I had been eyeing up for a while. Was so excited to take her there only to arrive and find out that the menu was different and most of things I had been hoping to try were no longer available.

Oh after that dinner, you can also add lavender in food to my list. lol....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am

Overly bubbly wait staff! Especially when it comes across as forced!

If you like what you are doing, it will show naturally. If management wants bubbly, they should purchase a carbonated machine!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Dan E wrote:No actual hatred to the individuals, but I hate the semi new restaurant practice of servers asking me if everything was either “wonderful” or “amazing”. Awful presumptuous, and I’m not susceptible to your Jedi mind trick. And how simple do you think I am? As a matter of fact, everything was delicious, but I’m 37 years old and I’ve seen plenty of short ribs in my day, so no, I’m not really amazed nor am I sitting in wonderment trying to determine what just happened and reconsidering my place in the world. Good meal, but I was able to make sense of it pretty easily, thanks.

Also, I don’t like olives. They nasty.

Exactly! I started a thread on this awhile ago and some of the response were to the effect that it was overkill to let this bother me and a “no wonder that restaurants are having trouble hiring”....something like that. This type of loaded question usually gets an unenthusiastic, “yeah, it’s ok”. Anyway, presumptuous indeed.

I honestly think that this is the brainchild of some academic marketing psychobabble and servers are actually being trained to use said Jedi mind trick.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31 am

Not really a peeve, but I find it hysterically funny when I go through the Blaze pizza line, piling my pie with fifteen different kinds of cheese, every cured meat known to man, and green and kalamata olives and they ask if I'd like sea salt sprinkled on my pizza. Dude! Do you really think I need salt on this sodium overloaded beast? :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Mary Anne wrote:Not really a peeve, but I find it hysterically funny when I go through the Blaze pizza line, piling my pie with fifteen different kinds of cheese, every cured meat known to man, and green and kalamata olives and they ask if I'd like sea salt sprinkled on my pizza. Dude! Do you really think I need salt on this sodium overloaded beast? :lol:

I certainly agree but on the other hand since you already had it so much stuff that wasn't good for you you might just as well add some more! I do the exact same thing whenever we go there, although I've never really thought about it when they ask if you want salt.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:16 am

Any menu option that says “crab” only to find out, after questioning the server under hot lights, that it’s really KRAB.
Servers that have no knowledge of the menu as if ( and they may have been) they’ve just been thrown on the floor with no training.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson