Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21269

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Hey, Ronnie, are you still using the email that this identity is connected to? If so, check yer mail ... I left you a question. :)
User avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

3997

Joined

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Location

Anchorage, KY

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Ronnie, Compared to many of the pizza places I've been to another city we don't have anything even close to what I would call swanky. Yes, we have some that are artisanal but that certainly doesn't make them swanky by any means. Same for how they cook the pizzas, just because they use a wood, coal or whatever oven doesn't make them high-end, it only makes pizzas a different style.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1874

Joined

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Location

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Mark R. wrote:Ronnie, Compared to many of the pizza places I've been to another city we don't have anything even close to what I would call swanky. Yes, we have some that are artisanal but that certainly doesn't make them swanky by any means. Same for how they cook the pizzas, just because they use a wood, coal or whatever oven doesn't make them high-end, it only makes pizzas a different style.



Exactly, which is why I am sure the problem is me. I probably can't fathom what a legit "swanky" pizza place is like.
Ronnie Dingman
Sous Chef
Louisville Boat Club
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21269

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm

RonnieD wrote:Exactly, which is why I am sure the problem is me. I probably can't fathom what a legit "swanky" pizza place is like.

I'm with you, Ronnie. We lived in NYC and ate a lot of pizza, but I don't recall any swanky pizzerias there. Ditto for my travels in Italy. This seems like the idea of a swanky dive bar: cognitive dissonance.
User avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

3997

Joined

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Location

Anchorage, KY

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:23 pm

I've been to what I would consider several "Swanky" pizza places, in Vegas, Seattle as well as a couple in Europe, I believe France and Italy. And believe me there prices reflected the fact that they were swanky.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

739

Joined

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Location

Deer Park

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Jay M. » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:50 pm

RonnieD wrote:Good call. I'm thinking Coals, etc. when I say "swanky." Places with "artisanal" (whatever that means) toppings or some fancy way of baking the pizza (we only bake ours on a sun-warmed turtle's back, etc.). I realize that this probably isn't very fair to a LOT of places that are probably just making really solid pie, it's much more about my screwy perceptions about places than maybe what they are actually doing. When I think "non-swanky" pizza, I think about Cliftons, Danny Mac's, Za's, Impellizzeri's, etc.


Has Impellizeri’s reopened? They had the dreaded “Closed for renovations. Reopening XX” sign with brown paper covering the windows, etc. recently.

Is Danny Mac’s (ROCKS!!) still at Mellwood Arts Center?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

789

Joined

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by James Natsis » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Sicilian Pizza and Pasta has an excellent crust that reminds me of the genre one finds at a Mellow Mushroom or Pies and Pints. Its also very reasonably priced for the sizes.

Another pizza I enjoy is Derby City Pizza. Its a thin crust, cut into squares style. It reminds me of the common pizza style found in my hometown of St Louis.

I enjoy others mentioned by others such as Coals and Butchertown Pizza. But these two above deserve a shoutout, especially Sicilian.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1460

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Location

Louisville

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:17 am

re New York Style Pizza . . .

For 2018's Pizza Week we tried Mimo's in New Albany. It's white tablecloth (!) up in the Knobs, but it's as close to "true" New York style as I've found in the general area! Our visit started with garlic knots (dripping in butter and garlic), and it has a menu well beyond pizzas, but it's listed as "Mimo's New York Style Pizzeria" and they aren't lying! Think thin crust, bubbly and crispy but flexible enough to fold and eat, with great ingredients in sufficient quantity to taste & enjoy without overpowering the crust and sauce.

https://www.mimospizzerianewalbany.com/
Andrew Mellman
User avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

155

Joined

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Location

J'town

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Michele Janosek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks for the Mimo's info Andrew!!! I had never heard of the place, but based on their menu, hubby, the mini-me & I are heading across the river this weekend to check it out. Mike has been in desperate search of shrimp parmigiana in this area for years and mentioned that to Chris, our awesome server at Ciao on Friday. Chris said we could ask for this next time we are at Ciao and they would happily make it, but hubby hates to be "that guy" asking for off-the-menu items. He was beyond thrilled to see shrimp parm on the Mimo's menu. Hoping to add another NY style place to our rotation.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1460

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Location

Louisville

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:Thanks for the Mimo's info Andrew!!! I had never heard of the place, but based on their menu, hubby, the mini-me & I are heading across the river this weekend to check it out. Mike has been in desperate search of shrimp parmigiana in this area for years and mentioned that to Chris, our awesome server at Ciao on Friday. Chris said we could ask for this next time we are at Ciao and they would happily make it, but hubby hates to be "that guy" asking for off-the-menu items. He was beyond thrilled to see shrimp parm on the Mimo's menu. Hoping to add another NY style place to our rotation.


I'm interested to hear what you think! Be sure you give a full report . . .
Andrew Mellman
User avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1874

Joined

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Location

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by RonnieD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Jay M. wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Good call. I'm thinking Coals, etc. when I say "swanky." Places with "artisanal" (whatever that means) toppings or some fancy way of baking the pizza (we only bake ours on a sun-warmed turtle's back, etc.). I realize that this probably isn't very fair to a LOT of places that are probably just making really solid pie, it's much more about my screwy perceptions about places than maybe what they are actually doing. When I think "non-swanky" pizza, I think about Cliftons, Danny Mac's, Za's, Impellizzeri's, etc.


Has Impellizeri’s reopened? They had the dreaded “Closed for renovations. Reopening XX” sign with brown paper covering the windows, etc. recently.

Is Danny Mac’s (ROCKS!!) still at Mellwood Arts Center?


Not sure on Impellizzeri's, I've not been on Bardstown Rd in a surprisingly long time. But yes, Danny Mac's is still in the Mellwood Arts Center!
Ronnie Dingman
Sous Chef
Louisville Boat Club
User avatar
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

94

Joined

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Beth Thorpe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm

I am doubtful that this exists in Louisville— but anyone making tavern style pizza in Louisville? It is what real Chicagoans eat, and I miss it a lot. Thin crust, but not super thin, often with Italian sausage, cut in squares.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21269

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55 pm

I don't know if it's exactly the same, Beth, but square-cut ("party cut") pizza comes as close as Southern Indiana, and it's my understanding that this style, with variations, extends from Chicago to St. Louis (where they add Provel cheese) and through smaller Illinois and Indiana towns.

I did a rumination on this a number of years ago, with reviews. No guarantees that anything is quite the same as it was in 2007:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/no-ho ... are-square
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

366

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am

Iroquois Pizza & Derby City Pizza both have a a thin crust/square cut style I would consider similar to Tavern style.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21269

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Iroquois Pizza & Derby City Pizza both have a a thin crust/square cut style I would consider similar to Tavern style.

Thanks for the info, Adrian. It's not really a style that I seek out for a special expedition, but I ought to check out at least one of them just to stay informed. Do you have a preference between Iroquois and Derby City?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign
cron