Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

Old Louisville Tavern really impresses

by CrisBanaszynski » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:11 pm

The Old Louisville Tavern on 4th and Gaulbert has been pretty impressive as of late. I used to go there just to have a drink after work, but they have put some pretty impressive dishes in front of me over the past 6 months and they are making a statement about the quality and value of food in Old Louisville. Last week the offered a duck confit quesadilla with Tillamook cheddar cheese, fresh pico de gallo, and a citrusy ranch that reminded me of the ranch at Chuy's and I'm not a fan of ranch at all. The week before that, they offered a duck burger with a truffle aioli on brioche that was as decadent as it was delicious and the value was the best part. They have an extensive bourbon collection highlighted by Pappy 10, 15, 20 and 23, as well as Family Reserve. They also recently added the entire Whiskey Row collection from Old Forester, a personal favorite of mine. They have specials almost every day of the week, including a very affordable brunch and $.60 wings on Sunday, $.60 wings on Monday, $2 tequila and $3 house margarita on Tuesday, $2 off bourbon on Wednesday, $3 Stella drafts on Saturday, and over all a great value on lunch and dinner. My personal favorite is the Old Louisville Dip, a French dip made with roast beef cooked in house. Everything is so fresh and delicious and really is a great representation of bar food. The only drawback I see as an adult is that Thursday nights later on are inhabited by mostly college students. The main bar area is cleared of tables and chairs and the large upstairs dining area is closed off. Once 10:30 hits, Ubers full of drunk Louisville students start showing up and the party starts. I'm getting too old to join in. All in all, the Old Louisville Tavern has restored my faith in Old Louisville as a dining destination.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan