Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Finally, wine shipments to Kentucky?

by Eric Hall » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:47 am

Distilleries are required to share all releases with retailers in KY. They can also sell them at their gift shops. In the past couple of years, they have kept the vast majority to be sold at the gift shops. Retailers have seen limited edition allocations slashed during that time.

The new bill, written by the KDA, eliminates the requirement that they share all releases with retailers. Want a limited release? Prepare to join a club and get on a waiting list or camp out overnight.

Some info, 80-85% of spirits are sold by “off-premise” retailers. I’m simply pointing out that the distilleries are claiming it is only fair that they can ship direct to consumer along with wineries in one bill. But in another, they don’t want to share limited editions or keep it fair for retailers that sell a huge percentage of their overall volume.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Eric Hall wrote:Distilleries are required to share all releases with retailers in KY. They can also sell them at their gift shops. In the past couple of years, they have kept the vast majority to be sold at the gift shops. Retailers have seen limited edition allocations slashed during that time.

The new bill, written by the KDA, eliminates the requirement that they share all releases with retailers. Want a limited release? Prepare to join a club and get on a waiting list or camp out overnight.

Some info, 80-85% of spirits are sold by “off-premise” retailers. I’m simply pointing out that the distilleries are claiming it is only fair that they can ship direct to consumer along with wineries in one bill. But in another, they don’t want to share limited editions or keep it fair for retailers that sell a huge percentage of their overall volume.

That's silliness. Retailers are distillers' lifeblood - without them, there's no business. The vast majority of hard-to-find, in-demand spirits are that way because demand is way, way up. That's why allocations have been slashed. Some distilleries do want to have one or two distillery-only offerings they don't have to share, but they'd be foolish to treat every limited edition or premium product that way, and they know it. They already do things to protect their retail partners - for example, selling the bottles they do offer in the gift shop at a significant premium so they don't undercut local retailers.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm

An update:

The wine shipping bill (SB 99) is essentially dead.

Distilleries have backed off the "exclusive offering" provisions in the house bill i referenced. It should pass but its only purpose is to add some language requested by common carriers (UPS/Fed Ex) to hold them harmless when shipping to dry territories or places where delivery is not permitted.

I'll reserve judgment on the distilleries intentions with the exclusive offering provision for now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks for the update, Eric. Kentucky is now, I think, one of only five states where consumers can't buy wine online. Pretty disappointing, and it's hard to believe that we're smarter than 45 other states and the District of Columbia.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 pm

The Associated Press has a story on this:

https://apnews.com/2a4e1f1dc5f04aed899d914b2a731315

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky’s bourbon industry has a bracing message for its home state lawmakers as they consider whether to relax restrictions on wine sales: What’s good for California vineyards should also apply to the bluegrass state’s signature spirit.

The Kentucky Distillers’ Association is pushing to have the spirits industry included in a bill that, in its current form, would allow direct out-of-state shipments of wine to Kentucky consumers.

The group, also known as KDA, is asking lawmakers to add language to the bill so bourbon drinkers in some other states can place online or phone orders with their favorite Kentucky distillers. Such long-distance transactions could only occur if other states allow spirits to be shipped directly to consumers. For now, that list of states is limited, but the spirits industry expects it to grow.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the update, Eric. Kentucky is now, I think, one of only five states where consumers can't buy wine online. Pretty disappointing, and it's hard to believe that we're smarter than 45 other states and the District of Columbia.

Yeah, I don't think anyone believes that. :lol: Except that it's really not funny. I swear this state can't get out of it's own way - ever. What a couple of weeks for our commonwealth. :oops:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
Previous