Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pomegranate

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Pomegranate

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Not a topic about restaurants, so Robin, I was hesitant to post it, but it does have a connection I think to cocktails at bars, so maybe I can appropriately discuss it, here.

Back in a far away time, there was a column in the CJ, and it actually may have originated in the long lost Louisville Times' Saturday Scene, called "The Best of Everything", and it showcased everything from nifty gadgets like a gizmo to help you get bottle caps off, to something like I just tried this morning - Pomegranate juice.

Well, I'm not an instant fan. It tastes a little like cranberry juice, but it's not something I think I'll crave. It has a lingering mouth feel, and isn't light and refreshing to me. I'm curious about other people's experiences with this juice, or if you've actually had the fruit, itself. I think I've heard of pomegranate cocktails. ~It might be better as a mixer, rather than a pure shot the way I did it.

It is photogenic, though, in one of my mother's delicate cordial glasses -

Here's two pictures I took on the kitchen counter -

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Pomegranate

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm also not a big fan of the juice, as it's a tad bitter for my taste, although mixed in various proportions with assorted adult beverages it can take on a whole new personality! You can even get a pre-mixed version made by Heaven Hill that is quite popular.

Where I do like it is in cooking. Mixed with tamirind (and a ton of other things, including fruit) it makes a fabulous "sauce" to cook chicken in a slow cooker or braised; you can find hundreds of recipes on-line.

It also (if I remember) has a lot of assorted vitamins and other "good things" without as many calories as other options.
Andrew Mellman
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Where I do like it is in cooking. Mixed with tamirind (and a ton of other things, including fruit) it makes a fabulous "sauce" to cook chicken in a slow cooker or braised; you can find hundreds of recipes on-line.

Yeah, it seems more like a cooking ingredient than a morning beverage like orange juice. I saw a video of how the fruit is dissected for eating or juicing, and it looks like a very complicated deal. Not something for using my old-fashioned glass-made juicer.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:Where I do like it is in cooking. Mixed with tamirind (and a ton of other things, including fruit) it makes a fabulous "sauce" to cook chicken in a slow cooker or braised; you can find hundreds of recipes on-line.

Yeah, it seems more like a cooking ingredient than a morning beverage like orange juice. I saw a video of how the fruit is dissected for eating or juicing, and it looks like a very complicated deal. Not something for using my old-fashioned glass-made juicer.

Keep the pomegranate underwater in a half-filled sink or pot while you separate out all the seeds, and you won’t stain your clothes or your kitchen. And pomegranate syrup is great for making Persian stews like fesenjoon. You can often find it in middle eastern stores like Al Watan. I’m not a huge fan of pomegranate juice, either, but the seeds are good in salads and on top of pilau and whatnot.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:33 am

Iggy C wrote:
Gordon M Lowe wrote:

Keep the pomegranate underwater in a half-filled sink or pot while you separate out all the seeds, and you won’t stain your clothes or your kitchen. And pomegranate syrup is great for making Persian stews like fesenjoon. You can often find it in middle eastern stores like Al Watan. I’m not a huge fan of pomegranate juice, either, but the seeds are good in salads and on top of pilau and whatnot.

Agreed.

I can't just sit down and enjoy a glass of it. It is handy in Tiki- style punches, too.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:35 pm

I noticed today there's a lot of blends, too, like blueberry, peach, and cherry, and a couple others. I might try those.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Pom juice is fantastic with champagne. The little seeds keep the bubbles going too.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 am

Alexis Rich wrote:Pom juice is fantastic with champagne. The little seeds keep the bubbles going too.

Love your avatar!!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Alexis Rich wrote:Pom juice is fantastic with champagne. The little seeds keep the bubbles going too.

Love your avatar!!

Burger Queen. So Louisvillian...

:D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Yeah, it seems more like a cooking ingredient than a morning beverage like orange juice.

I find it makes a much more palatable drink if I dilute it about half and half with sparkling water. I guess you could sweeten it a little, too, but not for me, thanks. :)