Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ngon Appétit!

no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Ngon Appétit!

by meghan.levins » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 am

Not gonna lie, went here because of the drama over the reviews. I appreciate an owner that sticks up for their business. Some of her clap back is defensive but most is pretty spot on and what most of us wish we could say.

My first experience with pho was in the Chinatown in Boston, and the noodles were wide, white, usually homemade. I thought I was crazy when over the years of moving away, I would always get the clear rice vermicelli noodles. I hate them. Ngon Appétit has the noodles I remember, which is apparently Northern Vietnamese; I guess there was a migration cluster in Boston of Northern Vietnamese. The broth was laced with heavy black pepper, which was brilliant.

Banh mi was the BEST. Like, I can't say more. It just was.

Curry soup was a subtle balance to our pho and banh mi, but it wasn't that interesting.

Go.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ngon Appétit!

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 am

It's good, and its proximity to Dirty Kroger makes it convenient in the neighborhood. Thanks for the review with lots of specifics.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 pm

These are the folks that used to have 4 Sisters, right? Their Banh Mi is absolutely amazing. I'll have to get in there and try the pho after that review.
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:20 am

Same owner, or at least some kind of same ownership. The banh mi was actually better than we had at Four Sisters, and that was the best one.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 pm

meghan.levins wrote:Not gonna lie, went here because of the drama over the reviews.

I'm not sure which reviews you're talking about but after going twice I'm sure it has something to do with the rude man that works there. I haven't gotten that much of a "we really wish you hadn't bothered us by coming in" vibe since Royal's. The food is good but holy cow that guy should NOT be out of the kitchen.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:
meghan.levins wrote:Not gonna lie, went here because of the drama over the reviews.

I'm not sure which reviews you're talking about but after going twice I'm sure it has something to do with the rude man that works there. I haven't gotten that much of a "we really wish you hadn't bothered us by coming in" vibe since Royal's. The food is good but holy cow that guy should NOT be out of the kitchen.

Check out some of their one- and two-star reviews on Yelp. The management have responded to some of them somewhat...aggressively.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Mike Hardin wrote:

Check out some of their one- and two-star reviews on Yelp. The management have responded to some of them somewhat...aggressively.

Um...wow. I wish them the best of luck but they'll never see another penny from me. That's a shame, too, because 4 Sisters always had such a happy, welcoming vibe. I wonder what happened?