Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Logan Street market

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Just got a notification on business 1st that a new tenant opened in the Logan Street Market I believe this is the 1st). What's strange is its a workout facility, nothing to do with food. As a comment in the article that the owner says is a good fit because it deals with wellness but it's certainly not something I ever considered would become part of the market. We'll see how it works out but from the pictures it's taking up a lot of space in the bldg., space that I feel could be better used for food centered businesses.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Logan Street market

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 am

I was concerned about this as well so I dug into it a bit. According to a Wave3 vignette from about a month ago, Barefit has been operating there for the past 3 months. They must be located elsewhere in the building that is not part of what will be the market area. In this case, it would add to the ambiance without taking up valuable space. They also reported that there were only 4 stalls left at that time. Also from the piece--“We will have cheese, sausage, four restaurants, a brewery, and Wiltshire, as well as coffee shops,” Safai said.........sounding pretty good thus far!

http://www.wave3.com/2018/12/07/year-ro ... XDHBDVFg-w
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

by MichaelBolen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 am

Never fear. Barefit is located in the north side of the bldg, completely away from the market.
Construction on the actual market is not visible outside but I assume they will do the outside in the spring. Apparently they are working on the interior. At 25k sq feet, it will be nearly the size of the Goss Ave kroger before it was redone. It's not small.

Here are the tenants:
http://ediblelouisville.ediblecommuniti ... mprovement

Unless people from this board ditch Whole Foods and what not, this market won't survive....so please drive down there from St Matthews or wherever and support it!
A few well known local players like Chef Madeline from Fond and Susan from Wiltshire will operate there....but it will also bring several small restaurants that will almost be like mini food trucks, including some very new to market food such as from Burkina Faso and Venezuelan food. It really looks to me the final concept will be one part Flea off Market, one part Vgrits, a small portion like what the old Roots was, and a few food truck type vendors indoors. This isn't your classic indoor food market like Westside in Cleveland but is more like a modern food hall meets a flea market meets a farmer's market and brewery. A mall for city folk if you will? Either way, I hope people keep positive about it.

I have no affiliation but am very involved with property in Shelby Park and the neighborhood needs this! I explained to the owners a major challenge is the bldg itself....a very nondescript corrugated warehouse that could just as easily been in Jtown industrial park as Shelby Park. So the bldg itself will need to be dressed up quite a bit to look more urban, unique, and also historic meets modern. I think they plan to do that with wood, greens, and blue paint colors.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Nice response, Michael. That piece in Edible says it all. They had me at Burkina Faso...........

This place has "winner" written all over it. That location is up and coming, especially with Tim Faulkner just across the corner. It is well placed between the Highlands, NuLu and Germantown.

My only question is what the heck took us so long to get such a place?
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

by MichaelBolen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:52 pm

James....why did Louisville take so long to get such a place? My thought is inherent small town thinking which has plagued Louisville for over 100 years. I really hope people support this market. I still may be a few weeks before fully opened. They report opening in a week but I am not sure how they will accomplish that....I'd say give them a few weeks to get all the stalls open. I'd hate for someone to go and see a partially opened place and never return. I mean no disrespect to the owners, but they seem disorganized.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:40 pm

MichaelBolen wrote:James....why did Louisville take so long to get such a place? My thought is inherent small town thinking which has plagued Louisville for over 100 years. I really hope people support this market. I still may be a few weeks before fully opened. They report opening in a week but I am not sure how they will accomplish that....I'd say give them a few weeks to get all the stalls open. I'd hate for someone to go and see a partially opened place and never return. I mean no disrespect to the owners, but they seem disorganized.

Michael,
I'm sure there are different theories as to what took so long. One reason may be the success of small markets such as Pauls and others that are scattered around town. I would also add the success of the 20+ sanctioned Farmers Markets. Many people frequent such places which may have delayed the urgency.

As for small town mentality. Sure. Much of this is subjective and I confess that there are instances where that may be the case. However, I've spent beaucoup time over the years in the province of Quebec. The Quebecois have defied most conventional wisdom followed by much of North America regarding the models of defining and attaining economic success. Quebec City is the exemplary crown jewel. It has about 700-800,000 people, no major league sports, they barely speak English with everything posted in French, there is no downtown, virtually no skycrapers, and its the northern-most city of its size in Canada (besides Edmonton) and bitterly cold in the winter. Small town mentality? You bet. Written off years ago as a joke that could never survive economically as businesses poured out of Montreal and the rest of the province because of the stubbornness of protecting a language and culture, and the "backwardness" of the province. Now its one of the most unique, interesting cities in North America attracting ample investments--yep! Go figure.

Louisville has its quirkiness and seems to be plotting along an interesting path. Downtown hotel rooms doubled in less than 5 years, and bourbonism is at the forefront of a certain renaissance. Its slow in the making, but the amount of out-of-towners hanging around downtown, NuLu, Highlands and elsewhere is unprecedented. I don't know. Call me naive or optimistic. In the meantime, let's enjoy viewing the 15,000 street rods gracing our city this weekend celebrating their 50th year here.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:55 pm

I went by there yesterday. I think it is everything I expected and more. It will serve as a nice gathering place on a cold Sat-Sun. It will also be a big boost in the impending renaissance of the immediate area.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Im excited to check out LSM, but im also already aggravated by it as well. Bramble, Foko, Alchemy, Zibas..all seem very interesting, but i cant find a menu or any real information online after two years of delays...it just seems like somebody could have tried harder.

I totally realize im being a douche, and its not a big deal, and i plan on checking out wild hops(also no info) this weekend and probably grabbing food from somewhere too and using too many ands in one sentence.

But i think more info online would be helpful for the business in the long run.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Dan E wrote:Im excited to check out LSM, but im also already aggravated by it as well. Bramble, Foko, Alchemy, Zibas..all seem very interesting, but i cant find a menu or any real information online after two years of delays...it just seems like somebody could have tried harder.

I totally realize im being a douche, and its not a big deal, and i plan on checking out wild hops(also no info) this weekend and probably grabbing food from somewhere too and using too many ands in one sentence.

But i think more info online would be helpful for the business in the long run.

I agree about the lack of info for individual vendors. I found that to be disappointing as well. And yeah, you probably did use to many "ands". But what the heck, you're excited! And rightly so--the place kicks derriere and has been long overdue.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Brooke B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:49 am

by Brooke B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Completely agree with Dan E on the need for more info, and can assure you, as part-owner of Bramble food stall, that as we get the lay of the land, our prospective guests (most importantly!) will be the first to know!
The doors at the Market open at 8 with Barefit (for our gym needs), the coffee shop, Cold Smoke Bagels, and Foko; followed by Bramble, Alchemy, Ziba’s Bistro, and Harvey’s Cheese at 10am. I’m pretty certain that Wild Hops and the wine bar will open at 10, too....

The amazing and varied shops all open at 10!!!

We’re a work in progress, and hope that folks’ input will help shape our hours with their interest and needs.

I assure you that each vendor looks forward to meeting every guest, and apologize that more concrete details aren’t available! Please be patient! We couldn’t be more excited to welcome you!!
no avatar
User

Brooke B

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Brooke B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:39 pm

If you’re on Instagram, I’ve got the handles of some restaurant spots that have menus/specials posted:

@bramblelouisville
@fokolou
@coldsmokebagels
@harveyscheese
@alchemyrestaurantlouisville
@zibasbistro
@loganstreetmarket
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:14 am

Brooke B wrote:If you’re on Instagram, I’ve got the handles of some restaurant spots that have menus/specials posted:

@bramblelouisville
@fokolou
@coldsmokebagels
@harveyscheese
@zibasbistro
@loganstreetmarket

Thanks for that! One minor correction: Ziba’s Bistro is @zibasbistrousa — that other handle is for some place in Atlanta.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm

I went on Saturday and it's a very cool spot. Not all of the businesses were ready yet, but most were and I they had some good offerings and a nice crowd. For me, it's the type of place where I like to wander, look, and be surprised, so the lack of online menus wasn't an issue for me. Still, several were still getting things up and going, so perhaps they will do that soon. The place is a bit tucked away, I hope that does not deter it's success as it's a fun, unique place.
no avatar
User

Brooke B

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Brooke B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Iggy C wrote:
Brooke B wrote:If you’re on Instagram, I’ve got the handles of some restaurant spots that have menus/specials posted:

@bramblelouisville
@fokolou
@coldsmokebagels
@harveyscheese
@zibasbistrousa
@loganstreetmarket

Thanks for that! One minor correction: Ziba’s Bistro is @zibasbistrousa — that other handle is for some place in Atlanta.

Thanks!!!!
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 am

Thank you for the info, Brooke, and again, I look forward to checking out LSM Friday. For the record, I found a link to a website on yelp, and found a sample menu for...Bramble!

You should have posted a link and told me to shut up :)

bramblerestaurantky.com

Can anyone confirm that Wild Hops is open and serving booze? This is the only piece I MUST know before heading out.

Edit: here is a picture from yelp for the Foko menu

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/foko-lo ... dSTfT9bIjg

and a pic of the soft opening menu board at Alchemy

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/alchemy ... LsVC5QMyUg

Edit again: Ziba's Bistro

https://www.zibasbistrousa.com/menus
Next