Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chilakiles Oaxacan Breakfast

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Chilakiles Oaxacan Breakfast

by Iggy C » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Has anyone tried the new Mexican breakfast place, Chilakiles? It’s on National Turnpike in the same strip mall as Cafe Thuy Van. The menu looks promising, and the fact that they say they’re Oaxacan is intriguing. This would make the second Oaxacan place in the area besides La Lupita in Clarksville, unless there’s another one I don’t know about.

http://chilakilesmexicanrestaurant.com/menu/

Even though it’s focused on breakfast, the hours are 7 am to 10 pm, and the website stresses that the bar is open all day... Well, there definitely aren’t yet too many Mexican breakfast places, so hopefully this one is good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chilakiles Oaxacan Breakfast

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Iggy, I saw the ad, and drew the same conclusion ... I wanna go! I agree, La Lupita is the only other Oaxacan place I know of.
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:39 am

Went on Sunday!! Y'all NEED TO GO. Large, ecclectic menu, several things I want to come back and try.

1. Just insanely friendly and attentive staff; maybe a little too much, but I am not gonna be mad about overly attentive service in Louisville ever.
2. They have Rusa!!! (Fresh squeezed citrus, citrus soda, club soda and fruit salt; it is amazing and La Loma is the only other place I have seen it on menu)
3. Tried their basic chilaquiles and added habenero sauce, pico and carnitas; carnitas were bland but everything else was so so good. Chips were fresh cut and cooked, rojo sauce was just soaked in so the chips still had texture. Will order extra pickled onions in the future, habenero sauce was delicious but really mild, I expect to respect Louisville palettes but I go out to National Turnpike for the real deal, don't spare me!!

Husband ordered Cubana torta, it was huge, the bread was on point, and just blew away any torta he's ordered (usually his go to at Mexican restaurants) taste wise. It came with generic but really tasty fries.
4. They have clever, approachable cocktails and true standard Mexican cervesas
5. They aren't absurdly cheap, which makes me think/hope they are paying staff well and maybe breaking the mold that ethnic food *should* be cheap or some bullshit like that. Even still, we thought it was awesome value at like $22 for two dishes and a beer

Go.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:22 am

Outstanding review, Meghan. I'm going soon. You actually had me at "Oaxaca," since La Lupita in Clarksville already has me smitten.