Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Real good Chinese?

by Carla G » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 am

My daughter is coming back into town from overseas after several years away. She would like to do our once upon a time tradition of eating in a Chinese restaurant Christmas Day. It’s been ages since I’ve done that, I don’t even know who might be open. Other than Oriental House in St. Matthews what good Chinese restaurants are there? Is Empress or Emperor of China still around? Last time I was in Empress of China it was dirty and neglected and looked to be on its last leg. Any suggestions?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Real good Chinese?

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:04 am

I think Empress and Emperor are gone, Carla. Other than Oriental House, I'd pick Jasmine as one of the best Chinese with an authentic option. Peking City in Middletown was great, but I've heard some poor reports lately.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 am

Totally agree with Robin's recommendation of Jasmine! The authentic menu is killer....plus there is a stellar Sushi side there as well!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am

Also, Joy Luck Club is good, if not full-bore authentic Chinese. I certainly wouldn't turn down dinner there.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 am

My 1st choice would certainly be Jasmine as Bill said their authentic menu is really good.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 am

Also bear in mind that Louisville also has a great tradition of going to Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas! :)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:07 am

Fourth for Jasmine, then Oriental House.

Jasmine takes reservations, but CALL rather than do it on-line; so few reserve there that they do not check the Net. Also, if you do not ask for the authentic menu you won't get it.

To second Robin, have had very bad experiences at Oriental House after they were sold two (?) years ago.

BTW, Sichuan Gardens in Plainview Village Center is a tad different. They are now owned by a Korean family, and in addition to standard Chinese they have some dishes best described as Chinese/Korean/American, but the food is great (even if not authentic) and they deserve more customers than they get! They have the best eggrolls around (HUGE and tasty!), and the people are very nice. While I believe they do have an "authentic" menu, it's not very accessible.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:Also bear in mind that Louisville also has a great tradition of going to Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas! :)

Not to change the subject, (Jasmine is my favorite Chinese in town as well), but a friend of a friend told me this weekend that he heard that the owners of Vietnam Kitchen are retiring and planning to permanently close. I was wondering if you’d heard that rumor and could dispel it, because it is such a beloved institution.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am

Iggy C wrote:Not to change the subject, (Jasmine is my favorite Chinese in town as well), but a friend of a friend told me this weekend that he heard that the owners of Vietnam Kitchen are retiring and planning to permanently close. I was wondering if you’d heard that rumor and could dispel it, because it is such a beloved institution.

Nooooo!! :( Iggy, I have not heard that, and I hope it's not true. But the VK folks historically aren't known for sharing their plans, as we've seen when they decide to take vacation and close for a week or two without prior notice.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Another note for Jasmine! I, too, recommences that you ask for the authentic Sechuan menu.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

To my knowledge, Oriental House has not changed ownership in at least the past 10 years. DD
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:To my knowledge, Oriental House has not changed ownership in at least the past 10 years. DD

I had meant to ask! I think it was around 2002 that a young couple from Hong Kong bought it, cleaned it up, wisely kept the old-school Chinese-American menu and 70-something clientele, but also added the authentic Chinese menu plus (no carts) dim sum. I hadn'theard anything about new owners either, and the last time we went it was still good.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:To my knowledge, Oriental House has not changed ownership in at least the past 10 years. DD

True ... I meant Pekin City in Middletown
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 pm

Carla, expect any decent Chinese restaurant to be packed Christmas Day...standing room only. If they take reservations, get them now and try to get a slightly 'off' time. By 6:00, you'll be waiting, squished together, even with a reservation.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:05 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:

True ... I meant Pekin City in Middletown

Yes, that happened a while ago and ever since it's gone downhill rapidly.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Next