Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Good beer, good food boost Pints & Union’s cozy pub vibe

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 am

Good beer and food boost Pints & Union’s cozy pub vibe

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Onion smashed burger with Velveeta – yes, Velveeta – at Pints & Union.

Every now and then a new local place to eat and drink makes me exceptionally happy. Sure, I’m always glad to see any new eatery come to town. But now and then a fresh arrival delivers such pleasure in its food, drink, and mood that it makes me jump up and down in delight.

Consider, if you will, Pints & Union in downtown New Albany, the utterly lovable restaurant … er, no, beer bar? … um, no, not that, nor a brewpub either. It’s a public house, a European-style pub, then, built into the beautifully renovated shell of an 1880s-era general store that later served as a neighborhood saloon.

In an age when most restaurants seem rigged for noise, Pints & Union is … well, not quiet, but tuned for sociability, with soft folk music in the background that’s loud enough to hear but not enough to dampen conversation. What’s more, there’s nary a television in the place. Stop, take your eyes from the screen and turn them to the people at your table. Don’t feel chatty? Grab a book from the extensive collection, or settle down with a friend for checkers, chess, or a board game.

Pints & Union takes its beer seriously, without taking it snobbily. Yes, there are some 40 carefully chosen European and American beers in bottles or cans on the list, plus eight well-chosen draft beers; and yes, you can attend informative weekly classes up in the cozy loft with beer guru Roger Baylor, who favors the motto “Education is important, but beer is importanter”).

But it’s not the kind of place that crams beer down your throat with wordy tasting notes. They’ll trouble you with no data beyond the essentials of name, style, alcohol by volume and price, although the staff stands ready to go beer-geek with you if that’s your style. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/good- ... ints-union

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Pints & Union
114 E Market St.
New Albany, Ind.
(812) 913-4647
http://pintsandunion.net
https://facebook.com/Pintsandunion
https://instagram.com/pintsandunion

Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

Noise level: Intentionally a place for reflection and conversation, Pints & Union is quiet, not silent; soft folk music doesn’t deter chatting with friends. (Average sound level 64-74 dB)

Accessibility: Wheelchair users may wish to take a seat at one of the tables up front; the high bar seats and tight square booths would be difficult, and a long flight of stairs bars access to the loft.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Good beer, good food boost Pints & Union’s cozy pub vibe

by Ryan Rogers » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 am

Great place, worth a special trip to New Albany.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 am

Ryan Rogers wrote:Great place, worth a special trip to New Albany.

Of course, it's not the only great place in New Albany. ;) Seriously, every time I go over there I'm freshly amazed.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm

That review definitely makes me want to go! :)
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 pm

I went here Friday night with a friend and it was pretty well packed, also found it to be fairly noisy. I had a draft cider and my friend had a couple of cocktails. We split the aioli fries, which were great, but wanted to go somewhere quieter, so we went to Habana Blues for more appetizers (we planned to go to River City Winery, but managed to walk right past it, as all the lights were out and they had a sign in the window indicating they were closed that night). I'd love to try some of their other food and cocktails, so I'll probably be back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Yeah, we were there during the dinner hour on a weekday evening, but I don't doubt it can get more noisy when it's crowded. I still really like the place, though.