Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

El Taco Luchador Coming To Colonial Gardens

by Tony G » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 pm

According to Metro Councils David Yates El Taco Luchador is the first announced restaurant to inhabit the redeveloped Colonial Gardens across the street from the Iroquois Amphitheater. The plans look incredible. A U shaped building with a joint area for outdoor dining. 2 other restaurants have yet to be named. If you have seen this classic building fall into disrepair the new planned development is SO welcome! I believe it’s scheduled for a Summer 2019 opening. Welcome addition for our area here in the South End.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Re: El Taco Luchador Coming To Colonial Gardens

by Joni L » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 pm

HiTony,

I'm stoked about it! It's about time for the South End. I'll be moving to the Beechmont area soon, and I think the whole Colonial Gardens thing is awesome. There was a great article on the Gardens in Insider Louisville:
https://insiderlouisville.com/economy/c ... a-70859405

Hope it's okay that I posted the link, Robin! :)

Joni
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Just saw on FB that Luchador is going to start serving breakfast on weekdays. Always glad to see more Mexican breakfast options, and Luchador has always been quality in my experience, so I’m excited.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Iggy C wrote:Just saw on FB that Luchador is going to start serving breakfast on weekdays. Always glad to see more Mexican breakfast options, and Luchador has always been quality in my experience, so I’m excited.

It's going to be interesting to see how they stand up against Con Huevos for Mexican breakfast, though. That's a mighty high bar.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:Just saw on FB that Luchador is going to start serving breakfast on weekdays. Always glad to see more Mexican breakfast options, and Luchador has always been quality in my experience, so I’m excited.

It's going to be interesting to see how they stand up against Con Huevos for Mexican breakfast, though. That's a mighty high bar.

I like Con Huevos, but the price point at the new location (assume it's the same as the original location), is too steep for me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 am

Jerry C wrote:I like Con Huevos, but the price point at the new location (assume it's the same as the original location), is too steep for me.

:shock: Whatever floats your boat, Jerry, but I'm having a hard time getting that. No, it's not McDonald's or Waffle House, but you're getting Kentucky Proud products and a James Beard-nominated chef serving you high quality food in large portions ... and, according to my most recent reviews at both locations, "Seven huevos (eggs) dishes are all $10.99 to $11.99, as are three-taco plates and most burritos. Sandwiches range from $10.99 to $13.49." That's not exactly Vincenzo's prices. It's a small premium for quality. Sure, your mileage may vary, but you're missing something good. :)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 am

The prices at Con Huevos seem pretty comparable to other popular brunch places like Wild Eggs, Toast on Market, etc. Anyway, I’m curious about Luchador’s breakfast; I just don’t know when I’d be able to eat there on a weekday morning. Between this and the move to Colonial Gardens, Luchador is doing some interesting stuff though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Iggy C wrote:... Anyway, I’m curious about Luchador’s breakfast; I just don’t know when I’d be able to eat there on a weekday morning. Between this and the move to Colonial Gardens, Luchador is doing some interesting stuff though.

Yeah, I wasn't questioning Luchador's breakfast, just surprised at Jerry's take on it being "expensive." I'm sure Luchador's option will be interesting, and I'll definitely try it.

As for the chaining of Luchador, I wonder if Olé group is moving more in that direction and less in the direction of creating new sit-down eateries.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Was hoping to try Luchador’s huevos motulenos today, but unfortunately they have ended their experiment serving breakfast at the downtown location.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Awww! I meant to try it and never got to. Might be just as well ... I would have reviewed it, and now I'd be mad at them for making the review obsolete so fast.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 am

Taco Luchador has turned into something that resembles a cheesy night club. Go to Mexa for real tacos that aren't drenched in crema.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 pm

I like MexA. But I think if we want to go all taco snob - and there's nothing the matter with that - we need to head for someplace like El Molcajete or La Lupita or ... well, there are dozens of 'em around town.