Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Barry's Cheesesteaks and More

User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Barry's Cheesesteaks and More

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 am

Good Morning forumites, I come with a question: Anyone know what's up with Barry's Cheesesteaks and More? My wife and I were jonesing for cheesesteaks the other day, and having read good things about the place, we headed down Preston to check it out. Alas, the place was shuddered and apparently defunct. I hit the googler and saw a couple of articles talking about a new location going in at the old GeeChee Bayou spot in Old Louisville. The specific Courier article I read was dated late June. Anyone know if they are up and running? Thanks in advance!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Barry's Cheesesteaks and More

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

Very puzzling, Steve. Their Facebook page and website both still list the old address, 7502 Preston Highway, and they're both active ... there was a long FB post just two hours ago, and a similar post yesterday. Kind of an unexpected post for a cheesesteak house, too. Have they always been ... evangelical? :shock:

I'd suggest calling them at 883-2874 and see if you can find out what's up.

Barry's Cheesesteaks and More wrote:Hello Facebook family, I love you, yes, I love you. 1Corinthians,10:23-24, "Everything is permissible, but not beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others ". Today I pray that you would meditate on these verses. And ask the LORD to open up your heart and you minds to the things that are beneficial in God's Kingdom, and also to do good to others. Sometimes we have brothers and sisters in Christ who are struggling and sometimes we actually passed them by. But let's take some time to help build them up today, you never know what a person's going through until you reach out to them. I know you have needs also, but one of the ways the Lord has blessed me came through looking out for others, as I looked out for others, God poured His goodness on me. Prayed to do the things that are beneficial for the Kingdom of God and to help your brothers and sisters up who are struggling today. We love you so much at Barry's Cheesesteaks and More, but God's love is greater, as God pours His love on you, you pour your love on others. Talk to you soon, God bless you. I'm Pastor Barry K Washington an Evangelist for the Glory of God. WE WALK BY FAITH AND NOT BY SIGHT! I LOVE YOU .
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 am

Yes, from what I've read, he's quite evangelical. And yes, I too was puzzled by the recency of the Facebook activity. When we walked up to the door and looked inside, it certainly looked like it hadn't been open for a while. The taco food truck in the front also lent credence to our conclusion it was no longer a going venture. I'll probably just swing by the Old Louisville spot some day on my ride home from work.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:03 pm

We just ate at Barry's one day last week and no signs of his closing down the Preston location.They were busy as always, now Barry himself was not there as he had been injured but his more than capable staff had it covered. Also if you are just peeking in at the place when they are closed they are more church basement in decor not fancy in any means if you want fancy go east not in our neighborhood but your loss.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks for that update Bev. Sounds like I was mistaken, but this was around noon on Tuesday, and it just looked like a place that was no longer open. Not exactly sure what gave me that impression other than furniture askew, etc and the fact the door was locked and the place dark. Also, the taco truck in front was odd. Was that there last week? Anyway, I’m guessing I just caught them on the wrong day.
As to ‘fancy,’ and whether that matters to me—nah, I love places like Roof Top Grill and your typical neighborhood taqueria. My comments were simply about how it appeared closed.
Finally, I’m glad you posted because I’ve been meaning to compliment your avatar. We have a twin, goes by Eno. He don’t need no tail...
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 am

When they are out of food, or have food supply issues, they shutter the doors. It is all or nothing. I spoke to Barry several weeks ago when I was there and he explained that if the bread supplier doesn't deliver, or they run out of food, which they do often, they close up. Always best to call before you go. Today, Friday, they've posted on their Facebook page that they bread supplier didn't deliver, so they are closed. It's kind of Brigadoonish. :D
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am

Barry's is absolutely awesome, and run by great folks. Don't allow myself to enjoy too often, but probably my favorite "guilty pleasure" meal in town.

Large Cheesesteak & Chili Cheese Fries :o
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Barry's is absolutely awesome, and run by great folks. Don't allow myself to enjoy too often, but probably my favorite "guilty pleasure" meal in town.

Large Cheesesteak & Chili Cheese Fries :o

I couldn't believe our son ordered the large cheesesteak, which is actually 2 smalls but then he wrapped half and took the second half home for later. I have trouble eating the small but it is so good I give it my best effort.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Barry’s is planning a third location, at 2500 Bardstown Road — that’s at Trevilian Way, next to Jet’s Pizza. The space is still an empty shell, so I doubt it will be opening soon.

On Facebook, Barry also mentioned that he’s been busy lately with his new restaurant, Papa B’s. He didn’t explain what that is, and I couldn’t find anything online.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Barry offered an update on Facebook last week: The restaurant at 2500 Bardstown Road should open by mid-January or early February. However, the Preston Highway location will close at the end of December.

Also, he’ll be opening another restaurant, Papa B’s Chicken and Fish, next to the Old Louisville Barry’s Cheesesteaks, which is at Second and Oak. (Incidentally, that’s just down the block from where Seafood Lady is now.)