Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bar dining

no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Bar dining

by Robin F. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

I’m looking for recommendations for places to eat at the bar. We often prefer sitting at the bar when we go out, especially on Friday nights. Our usuals are Volare, Mesh, Jack’s and Silver Dollar. We’ve given up on Z’s.

Where do you go? TIA!
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Bar dining

by Bill Veneman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 pm

LaChasse has a lovely bar...and you don't feel disconnected from the restaurant because it runs alongside!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 pm

It seems that if one does not want to wait for a table (or does not have a reservation), the bar normally offers a good alternative.

We do NOT like the bar at Volare, as it's incredibly crowded, people are reaching through your meal to get a drink, and it's actually louder than the restaurant itself!

Concur with Bill re LaChasse.

Please don't stone me, but we sometimes hit the bar at Cheesecake Factory! The bar and high-tops are first come first served, and on Friday or Saturday one can normally walk in and sit down with no wait, and be done in time for the movie at the Mall.

If there are no tables (always our first choice) we'll take a bar seat pretty much anywhere, EXCEPT that I'm beginning to have back issues, and if the bar only has stools I can't sit there during a decent dinner without pain.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Robin F. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Please don't stone me, but we sometimes hit the bar at Cheesecake Factory! The bar and high-tops are first come first served, and on Friday or Saturday one can normally walk in and sit down with no wait, and be done in time for the movie at the Mall.

Bill - that’s funny, after I hit submit, I realized I left Cheesecake off of my list. We are frequent barflys and are known by sight (is that a good or bad thing :shock: ).
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:49 pm

I ate at the bar at Bar Vetti not long ago and enjoyed it. It’s kinda fun to watch them make pizzas. Lupo, Eiderdown, and Holy Grale are some others I like.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I love Ciao's bar. Full disclosure, I haven't sat at the bar for dinner, but I love their Italian beverage program and I love the look and feel of the bar, too.

The bar at Lupo is fun, too ... I'm sensing an Italian theme here ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 am

August Moon
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:01 pm

I just thought of another loverly bar - there are so many! - that doesn't get that much attention: Red Hog!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Robin F. » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions!