Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Blog mention of L'ville in Gourmet

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Definately with Doogy on this. This is a positive piece about us and we must keep in perspective what the outside world sees when they visit. I've been much more dissappointed with other articles I've read, reducing our culinary worth to hotbrowns, derby pie, and bourbon. And yes, I wish they'd employed Doogy for a better pic.

Thanks for the kind words, Jackie. Be aware that most of the pix I post haven't been taken by me. Some I find by doing a Google search and others come from the specific website. But surely, that cat coulda procured a better overhead view of the Ville.

I hope everyone who reads this understands just what a blog is. It's basically an online diary of sorts, and just like a pen and paper one, can be as detailed or not as the writer chooses. In this case, as he indicated, the author decided to write a few quick and QUITE complimentary paragraphs about Louisville's culinary scene.

Perhaps he shall return to write up a full fledged story on the Ville's dining environment. If not, let's all be glad we for what he did decide to write. Except for that damned POS overhead view. I can't get over that.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:I have a hell of a lot more respect for John T than I do for Mariani.

I don't know John T at all, but you're not responding to my point: He gave us good publicity, but it looks like a lazy reporting job. Do you disagree?

I disagree that it is lazy journalism of the type Mariani practices. John T. might've done more, but what Mariani does is a joke. Remember that last piece he had on Louisville on his website? It could've been from 1992. John T.'s piece wasn't like that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I disagree that it is lazy journalism of the type Mariani practices. John T. might've done more, but what Mariani does is a joke. Remember that last piece he had on Louisville on his website? It could've been from 1992. John T.'s piece wasn't like that.

Okay, I'll buy that. Using Mariani's standard practice as our guide, John T looks good. And maybe I'm being hyper-critical just because this looks to me like a small piece of the greater decline and fall of American journalism. And as I've said all along, it's definitely a case of glass-half-empty, glass-half-full. But all that being said, I think a lot of people on this forum could have sketched a more accurate picture with only 250 words to do it in.

Hell, not to butter you up or anything ;) but <i>you</i> do a far superior job with a few more words but not much more time when you do your Food & Dining Road Trip reports.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hell, not to butter you up or anything ;) but <i>you</i> do a far superior job with a few more words but not much more time when you do your Food & Dining Road Trip reports.

But, you are buttering him up. :D

It was a blog, just a blog.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Blog mention of L'ville in Gourmet

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Doogy R wrote:It was a blog, just a blog.

The logical extension of this opinion would take us to posting comments we find scribbled on bathroom walls.

Sorry, but if a critical (positive or negative) opinion appears on the Website of a national fine-food publication, excusing careless reporting with "it's just a blog" doesn't work for me.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Robin said, “I hear what you guys are saying, but I still get the wobblies over the idea that just because you're "blogging" means that slipshod journalism is okay.”

William Safire recently wrote, “Oral usage is all over the Web, but that’s not what we think of as “print” because it is essentially transcribed speech, paying little attention to the rules that mark the precision, clarity and originality of carefully written and edited language. What may belong on the tongue doesn’t necessarily belong on the page"

I think this standard should include print journalism, especially in regards to research. Blogs are another story.

John T listed Nashville, Charleston and New Orleans as culinary cities of comparison with Louisville. Would you agree? What comes to mind, food-wise, when you think of those cities? (New Orleans is too easy; try the others.)

What would come to mind for a non-Louisvillian about Louisville? Do we have a food identity?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Tina M wrote:Just out of curiousity, which 3 would you have chosen, Robin?

Not quite the right question, Tina. I might very well have gone to those three, for the reasons others have mentioned here. They're good picks. But I'd like to think I would have used the <i>rest</i> of my 250 words to paint a broader picture, and at least to <i>mention</i> places like Proof, 610, Le Relais and Mojito to give a better sense of the breadth of dining options here. I guess my concern is that he gives the impression that we've got a great hotel dining room, place for breakfast and blue-collar beer bar without going much beyond that.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:It was a blog, just a blog.

The logical extension of this opinion would take us to posting comments we find scribbled on bathroom walls.

Sorry, but if a critical (positive or negative) opinion appears on the Website of a national fine-food publication, excusing careless reporting with "it's just a blog" doesn't work for me.

Wow, Mister Spock just slammed me down onto the floor of a White Castle restroom. Ouch. At least I can get dusseldorf mustard there. :lol:

Robin, you looked different on the Hot Brown throw down.

no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tina M wrote:Just out of curiousity, which 3 would you have chosen, Robin?

Not quite the right question, Tina. I might very well have gone to those three, for the reasons others have mentioned here. They're good picks. But I'd like to think I would have used the <i>rest</i> of my 250 words to paint a broader picture, and at least to <i>mention</i> places like Proof, 610, Le Relais and Mojito to give a better sense of the breadth of dining options here. I guess my concern is that he gives the impression that we've got a great hotel dining room, place for breakfast and blue-collar beer bar without going much beyond that.

Ah. Thanks, that clarifies your position quite a bit. I obviously wasn't quite understanding the issue.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...I hear what you guys are saying, but I still get the wobblies over the idea that just because you're "blogging" means that slipshod journalism is okay.

Should I start a Louisville Media forum? :D

If you decide to start it, please move this there. What defines a journalist? We all provide written reports of experiences and observations, but that does not make all of us journalists. I have had a piece I wrote published in a major daily newspaper, but I am not a journalist. Where does blogging stop and journalism start? In my mind questions such as these have led professions to establish licensing guidelines. For example is there a professional journalist designation with various education and experience requirements? In these days of so many media outlets I would pay more attention to a piece written by a Certified Professional Journalist (if there were such a designation) than Joe Blogger.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm

It's a shame some dude writes a little COMPLIMENTARY blurb about the Ville and has to get picked apart. I feel sorry for the next dude or dudette who happens into town to write us up. <--------Tongue in cheek, for those who didn't get it the first time.
Last edited by Doogy R on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:...I hear what you guys are saying, but I still get the wobblies over the idea that just because you're "blogging" means that slipshod journalism is okay.

Should I start a Louisville Media forum? :D

If you decide to start it, please move this there. What defines a journalist? We all provide written reports of experiences and observations, but that does not make all of us journalists. I have had a piece I wrote published in a major daily newspaper, but I am not a journalist. Where does blogging stop and journalism start? In my mind questions such as these have led professions to establish licensing guidelines. For example is there a professional journalist designation with various education and experience requirements? In these days of so many media outlets I would pay more attention to a piece written by a Certified Professional Journalist (if there were such a designation) than Joe Blogger.

The 'Ville Voice blog covers local media and political issues. It's a good one.

On edit: I forgot to mention that Louisville History & Issues has a "Media and News" forum.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:I disagree that it is lazy journalism of the type Mariani practices. John T. might've done more, but what Mariani does is a joke. Remember that last piece he had on Louisville on his website? It could've been from 1992. John T.'s piece wasn't like that.

Okay, I'll buy that. Using Mariani's standard practice as our guide, John T looks good. And maybe I'm being hyper-critical just because this looks to me like a small piece of the greater decline and fall of American journalism. And as I've said all along, it's definitely a case of glass-half-empty, glass-half-full. But all that being said, I think a lot of people on this forum could have sketched a more accurate picture with only 250 words to do it in.

Hell, not to butter you up or anything ;) but <i>you</i> do a far superior job with a few more words but not much more time when you do your Food & Dining Road Trip reports.

If you have HBO, you should be watching The Wire. It is one of the best television shows that I have ever seen. It has focused on the problems of urban decay in Baltimore, Maryland, but each season it singles out a particular issue: the war on drugs, the failing public eductions system, corruption in local government . . . this season is about the downfall of journalism due to mega media corps buying local news outlets and downsizing them for profit. They are doing a great job showing what has happened to the Baltimore Sun since it was bought. Right up your alley.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:39 am

Doogy R wrote:It's a shame some dude writes a little COMPLIMENTARY blurb about the Ville and has to get picked apart. I feel sorry for the next dude or dudette who happens into town to write us up.

I have a feeling that John T. can take it. Plus, a lot of the comments on this thread have been very complimentary of the piece. I don't think we need to feel sorry for John T or other journalists.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:57 am

Ron Johnson wrote:If you have HBO, you should be watching The Wire. It is one of the best television shows that I have ever seen. It has focused on the problems of urban decay in Baltimore, Maryland, but each season it singles out a particular issue: the war on drugs, the failing public eductions system, corruption in local government . . . this season is about the downfall of journalism due to mega media corps buying local news outlets and downsizing them for profit. They are doing a great job showing what has happened to the Baltimore Sun since it was bought. Right up your alley.

I would LOVE to see it. Unfortunately, I don't get HBO. I really wish Insight had a way you could order just one premium channel for a reasonable price, but the last time I looked, you had to take a package. Since we mostly watch DVDs from Netflix, I have little or no interest in wasting the price of a couple good meals at La Rosita every month for a bunch of movie channels that I'll never watch. :P
PreviousNext