Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 pm

My goodness ...

Half way around the world, checking in to see what's new on the scene, and all he** has broken loose!

I didn't read Ron's comments as "villifying" in any way.

I generally agree that blog posts certainly don't carry the weight of an editor-approved (and sometimes gutted) published article. However, I also find myself dismissing most of the afore-mentioned editor-approved media because it usually is only partly accurate, at best.

As to Mark's blog (WHAS), I think it is among the most accurate political blogs around, if not the fastest to post breaking political news (hmmm ... maybe that means he does check his facts first!).

My two cents from Sydney.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm

There are some people on here seriously showing their age with this blog discussion.

SERIOUSLY showing their age. :-)

Blogging is not the same as reporting, and most people under a certain age (or those of us in the tech industry) know the difference. Robin may claim to know the difference, but his age shows here. Robin, I'm a fan of yours, but you obviously do not GET blogging. Blogging is blogging regardless of who is doing it. Blogging should not be reporting, and it should not be held to the standards of reporting. Most bloggers and people who read them would be quite upset if there were to EVER be held to that kind of a standard. It would completely ruin the power and appeal of the medium.

To use Robin's example - it would be like eating out of Proof's dumpster, having a bad meal and saying "Well, it was just garbage out of the dumpster."

Yes, that would be a valid statement. Blogs are more like the dumpster, but you can often find some good stuff in other people's garbage.
Last edited by Chris M on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:11 pm

TP Lowe wrote:My goodness ...

I generally agree that blog posts certainly don't carry the weight of an editor-approved (and sometimes gutted) published article. However, I also find myself dismissing most of the afore-mentioned editor-approved media because it usually is only partly accurate, at best.

This was exactly my point, which I was surprised to find offended someone.

a. Blogs are not subject to same rigorous standard of journalism as traditional media, and

b. It doesn't really matter because most people don't believe that traditional media is accurate anyway.

I had no idea such a benign position would ruffle feathers like it did.

BTW, how's the chow down under?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 pm

So far my food exposure has been limited to Four Seasons room service (ugh - not great) and a lunch at a local fried fish joint (followed the locals and found a line cuing up for lunch - excellent! and, something I wouldn't have at home). Dinner tomorrow at a local high-end place that I'd put in the Proof (21C) category. I'll let you know!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Chris M wrote:To use Robin's example - it would be like eating out of Proof's dumpster, having a bad meal and saying "Well, it was just garbage out of the dumpster."

Yes, that would be a valid statement. Blogs are more like the dumpster, but you can often find some good stuff in other people's garbage.

I don't think I could add or subtract a word to that, Chris. ;)
Previous