Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

Re: Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by CrisBanaszynski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 am

charles.minter wrote:Cris...you are coming off like a complete prick. I’d advise you to reread all your comments and think how an executive from your company would feel about your comments. If an employee of mine responded to the public like you have, he would loose his job. Not wishing that on you by any means. I can appreciate your passion, but you are coming across as a Grade A Asshole. You may not be attempting to be, but you are. I’ve been guilty of over reacting in the past myself when something I was passionate about was attacked.

I ate at the former Lynn’s location this week prior to seeing this thread. Everything my party had was terrific. One of the best BBQ meals I have ever had. The service was outstanding. I have a new go-to for BBQ.

I am an asshole. So thanks for the love dude
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 am

I 100% agree with Charles Minter, and I really liked Chris's food at Atypical. Robin, I don't see any flaming in his post. He complimented Chris / Martin's on the BBQ, but had less than glowing things to say about Chris's attitude and delivery. IMO, Chris had this coming.

I also fully support the passion that he has towards his craft. However, passion and rudeness are not the same thing...Chris has certainly exhibited both throughout this thread. ...as did Steve, IMO.

If potential customers decide to avoid Martin's b/c of his tone, words and attitude that is their perogotive. That is not a slight on Chris's ability to make good 'Q, moreso an indictment of his behavior on this forum. These folks may miss out on some excellent BBQ, but that is a choice they can make and should not be berated for.

Robin, you're really not showing yourself in the best perspective when you discourage fair and constructive dialog (Charles's post) and seem to take the side of someone who called the Hot Bytes site a "two-bit forum."

Thanks. DD
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am

Derrick, my heartburn with Charles wasn't his content. It's that he came in, found a dead horse that was just beginning to stop stinking, and then kicked it around a few more times just for fun. Then I looked at Charles' past posts and discerned a fairly consistent record of a rare visitor who usually drops in when there's a fight. At that point I thought, "$%&@ him."

I'm not really taking sides here, because I think this topic is complicated. In my opinion, Cris is a good guy with a good record of making barbecue, but maybe a little short-tempered about criticism. That might not be the best style for a guy with a business to run.

But I also thought the attacks on him in this thread have been a little out of line, too. I don't like to lock threads, but I really don't think it's been a very good discussion on either side.

My $0.02 worth.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Derrick, my heartburn with Charles wasn't his content. It's that he came in, found a dead horse that was just beginning to stop stinking, and then kicked it around a few more times just for fun. Then I looked at Charles' past posts and discerned a fairly consistent record of a rare visitor who usually drops in when there's a fight. At that point I thought, "$%&@ him."

I'm not really taking sides here, because I think this topic is complicated. In my opinion, Cris is a good guy with a good record of making barbecue, but maybe a little short-tempered about criticism. That might not be the best style for a guy with a business to run.

But I also thought the attacks on him in this thread have been a little out of line, too. I don't like to lock threads, but I really don't think it's been a very good discussion on either side.

My $0.02 worth.

Thank you again Robin
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 pm

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 am

Cris,

No sleep lost here, but a sincere apology would go much farther than one liners giving thanks for posts you seem to perceive as sympathetic and approving pats on your back.

Yes, actions speak louder than words, but words still matter. Your snide and snarky words summarily directed at forum members has overcome my curiosity to try your believably well reputed BBQ. Yeah yeah, I know.....no sleep lost for you either for just another loss of what would’ve probably been a regular customer.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:32 am

Ray Griffith wrote:Cris,

No sleep lost here, but a sincere apology would go much farther than one liners giving thanks for posts you seem to perceive as sympathetic and approving pats on your back.

Yes, actions speak louder than words, but words still matter. Your snide and snarky words summarily directed at forum members has overcome my curiosity to try your believably well reputed BBQ. Yeah yeah, I know.....no sleep lost for you either for just another loss of what would’ve probably been a regular customer.

I would suggest the whole hog with slaw and Jacks Creek on top the way Pat Martin intended his bbq to be served. It's amazing. Also please don't confuse my posts with snide and snark. The members of this forum are overly judgy and unapologetic to the people that bring them their food. I don't think it's fair to attack the way Steve did 4 pages back.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am

CrisBanaszynski wrote:The members of this forum are overly judgy and unapologetic to the people that bring them their food.

Uhh, perhaps a bit of an over-generalization?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 am

CrisBanaszynski wrote:I would suggest the whole hog with slaw and Jacks Creek on top the way Pat Martin intended his bbq to be served. It's amazing.

Noted.
Also please don't confuse my posts with snide and snark.

Noted also, Cris, but if there is one valid point that has come out of this, it's that a person who provides a service to the public faces a tough dilemma in the face of criticism. It's really, really tempting to bark back, I know. But it's better business not to. Just a thought for your consideration going forward, not only in this forum.
The members of this forum are overly judgy and unapologetic to the people that bring them their food.

A few are. Most aren't.
I don't think it's fair to attack the way Steve did 4 pages back.

I'm with you on this one. Steve doesn't come around much any more. When he does, sadly, it's most often to be an @$$#0|e.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:
I would suggest the whole hog with slaw and Jacks Creek on top the way Pat Martin intended his bbq to be served. It's amazing.
I am sure it is. However, why are you making suggestions when I was clear that I will not be patronizing your business?

CrisBanaszynski wrote:Also please don't confuse my posts with snide and snark.
I am not confused and I call ‘em as I see ‘em.

CrisBanaszynski wrote:The members of this forum are overly judgy and unapologetic to the people that bring them their food.
Who is the one being “judgy”? Pot, meet kettle. Again, you’re not winning any points by not owning up to your words. Thus, you will not be bringing me my food.

CrisBanaszynski wrote:I don't think it's fair to attack the way Steve did 4 pages back.
Agreed, but that doesn’t justify you impugning every or even most members of this forum.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:36 pm

How 'bout y'all make like a Disney princess and LET IT GO?
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am

Went to the new place for lunch yesterday. I tried Chris' recommendation. It was quite good. Nice smoke flavor and the blend of the whole hog was certainly a welcomed change from the ubiquitous shoulder. I cut my teeth on Eastern NC barbecue, so count me a big fan of whole hog pig-pickin'. I was also impressed with the baked beans. Baked beans tend to be my benchmark side at bbq joints, and Martin's does a good job. Another minor, but appreciated, touch was the presentation/construction of the sandwich. The bun was perfectly buttered/grilled, there was a very generous portion of pork, and the slaw was nicely proportioned--as in not too much (one my few pet peeves with NC bbq is that many places put on waaaaay too much). Finally, I enjoyed the Jack's Creek sauce but it left me tad confused. Given it's thin viscosity and color, I was expecting a NC style vinegar sauce. It was less tart than expected, and I got more sweet than heat, so I'm going to try it again to see if my taste buds were just a bit off yesterday or if I just need to shake the bottle more aggressively.
All in all, I'll be back. It's closer than any other place (I don't really count Mark's), so I'm glad they are in the neighborhood. Plus, it was MILES better than the last meal I had at that location...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks for the review, Steve. It sounds promising!
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I was also impressed with the baked beans. Baked beans tend to be my benchmark side at bbq joints, and Martin's does a good job.

This is what I love about this forum and eating food in general...everyone has a different opinion of the exact same item(s)...I tried the Martin's on Westport Rd. about 9 months ago, and the reason I marked them off my list were the baked beans! Like Steve, I always order baked beans at a BBQ place.

My one big dislike is chili powder and lo and behold those beans had enough chili powder to make the rest of the meal not enjoyable. (I have never had baked beans with chili powder...at least that I could discern). Chris, do the baked beans actually have chili powder in the recipe or did some numbskull at Westport drop the whole can in by mistake?

I ordered a whole hog sammich, but at lunch time they said the whole hog was not available...so I had to settle for pulled shoulder...it was average.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 pm

No, I didn’t get any hint of chili powder. And like you, I’m not a big fan of it in baked beans. Ranch style pintos, sure. But no, these struck me as straightforward southern style sweet with onion and bacon—lots of thick sliced bacon or pork belly. Beans had enough tooth for me to think they were not starting out in a can.
PreviousNext