Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Let's all be kind, ladies and gents! Barbecue brings people together. :)
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 pm

BevP wrote:
CrisBanaszynski wrote:
Carla G wrote:Whoaaaa Chris, relax.
I did a simple search on LHB of you (not a google search) and all it showed was that your most active thread was this one in which you had only made, at that time, a couple of entries. I didn’t spend a great deal of time googling you. That’s why I said what I did. I thought I answered civilly. Sorry you didn’t see it that way. As I previously said I didn’t post to start a fight or be confrontational, I was merely defending someone else on the board who had expressed an opinion. (We’re allowed to do that right?)

But I will ask you this....so far, have you helped yourself or your business with your posts? Typically most people don’t respond well when referred to as pretentious dicks or bastards (even if it was in faux Latin.)

All I'm saying is, put any product up against mine. Put your money where your mouth is.

Cris with your attitude I don't want you to have one red cent of my money , trust me I can live without you and Martin's and word gets around...Louisville is too small of a town to be acting all too big for your britches

I don't think you're really in a place to pass a judgment like that considering you don't know me and you have never eaten my food. Once again, put your money where your mouth is.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
no avatar
User

Anthony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

by Anthony G » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:00 pm

All of this talk about barbecue is making me hungry. 8)
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm

.[/quote]
Cris with your attitude I don't want you to have one red cent of my money , trust me I can live without you and Martin's and word gets around...Louisville is too small of a town to be acting all too big for your britches[/quote]

I don't think you're really in a place to pass a judgment like that considering you don't know me and you have never eaten my food. Once again, put your money where your mouth is.[/quote]
I have eaten at Martin's a couple of times didn't think it was all that and no I don't know you personally but the language you have used on here I don't care to but I as a consumer I have the right to chose where to spend my money and I will no longer eat at Martin's.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 am

BevP wrote:Cris with your attitude I don't want you to have one red cent of my money , trust me I can live without you and Martin's and word gets around...Louisville is too small of a town to be acting all too big for your britches
I don't think you're really in a place to pass a judgment like that considering you don't know me and you have never eaten my food. Once again, put your money where your mouth is.

I have eaten at Martin's a couple of times didn't think it was all that and no I don't know you personally but the language you have used on here I don't care to but I as a consumer I have the right to chose where to spend my money and I will no longer eat at Martin's.

Well I guess we will close up shop and move out of town then. Hey, at least we tried.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

JustinHammond wrote:Just for fun.

Best bbq restaurant dishes I’ve had in Louisville. One offs, just great on a particular day, not necessarily all the time.

Atypical (chris’s place) - burnt ends and wings.
FABD - brisket sandwich and potato salad
Martins - Whole hog pulled pork sandwich
Momma’s - beef ribs and wings
Feast BBQ - baby backs and collards
ATG - beef jerky, burgoo and brisket

Someone has kick ass beans but I can’t remember right now.

These are all dishes at one time or another I thought couldn’t get any better. I think bbq in general has the largest swing in quality than any other food type.

Thanks! This is a helpful list (and tracks with my preferences). FWIW I had the whole hog pulled pork at Martin’s the other day and liked it a lot. I also really appreciated that the cornbread isn’t just corn-flavored sweet cake the way people usually do it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:50 am

Iggy C wrote:I also really appreciated that the cornbread isn’t just corn-flavored sweet cake the way people usually do it.

Yes! This! Corn-flavored sweet cake is the worst! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm

As someone who does comps and cooks bbq for the masses (including whole hog) I have to say comps require a higher level of skill in the actual cook. On the flip side, when you’re cooking for the masses the majority of the skill is in the holding for service. There are lots of great cooks out there but being able to hold and retain a high quality product is what separates average bbq from great bbq. It’s also the reason many places are hit or miss from one visit to the next.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:
BevP wrote:Cris with your attitude I don't want you to have one red cent of my money , trust me I can live without you and Martin's and word gets around...Louisville is too small of a town to be acting all too big for your britches

Well I guess we will close up shop and move out of town then. Hey, at least we tried.

We've come full circle, because now you're being the pretentious dick. I have eaten your food (from Atypical) and it was good. Best of luck with Martin's. DD
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm

The whole point of forums like this or any restaurant review for that matter, is for people to share their experiences both negative and positive. With any luck the negative is tempered with statements like, “...but that’s the way I like/don’t like —————“ or the occasional “maybe it’s just me” . With more luck a negative aspect might be offered with a suggestion as to what would make the bad situation/dish/ experience better. That would be great, something to take away to learn from. What’s the old adage I just saw, “I never lose. I either win or I learn.”
BUT....
It’s outright ridiculous to expect everyone that offers an opinion to have years and years of restaurant experience or be a professional cook/chef. If you eat it and you can taste it you can review it. They’ve already put their money where they put their mouth because they paid for their meal. You don’t have to be a chicken that’s laid an egg to know when it’s rotten. The dining arena is no place for the lazy or thin skinned.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Carla G wrote:The whole point of forums like this or any restaurant review for that matter, is for people to share their experiences both negative and positive. With any luck the negative is tempered with statements like, “...but that’s the way I like/don’t like —————“ or the occasional “maybe it’s just me” . With more luck a negative aspect might be offered with a suggestion as to what would make the bad situation/dish/ experience better. That would be great, something to take away to learn from. What’s the old adage I just saw, “I never lose. I either win or I learn.”
BUT....
It’s outright ridiculous to expect everyone that offers an opinion to have years and years of restaurant experience or be a professional cook/chef. If you eat it and you can taste it you can review it. They’ve already put their money where they put their mouth because they paid for their meal. You don’t have to be a chicken that’s laid an egg to know when it’s rotten. The dining arena is no place for the lazy or thin skinned.

So by that logic, is it entirely inconceivable that I would want to defend my life's work when someone, who knows the business, uses the phrase "flat out suck" so casually? I understand if someone knows the craft in and out, however, this is a forum for people to voice their opinions about food. Stop me if I'm wrong, but this is America and I have the right to defend my position. It seems to me that this forum has lost its spirit. Here I am trying to promote a business for some good guys who work hard to provide Old Louisville with great food and I stumble upon The Daddio of the Patio saying what I do sucks. You hide behind your keyboards passing judgement, never expecting people to defend themselves. Your opinion comes down to the people that toil behind the scenes to bring you delicious food and you think they will take your criticism lying down? I think not. We worked very hard to get this thing off the ground and two weeks later you think we are going to let people trash talk on a two bit forum? Not exactly my friends. Let me know when you're ready to try again and I'll make sure our best offerings are placed in front of you. That's our life's work.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm

The bottom line is we all know what we like and know what we don't like. Some people may like Martin's barbecue some people don't like it, that's why it's always good to be about every restaurant or anything else for that matter. You obviously are defending them because you worked there, we would be surprised at anything else. This bickering back and forth it's getting old and not accomplishing anything!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Mark R. wrote:This bickering back and forth it's getting old and not accomplishing anything!

It's definitely getting old, but it has accomplished one thing. I'm a neighbor who was planning to check out this place. That won't be happening now.

I love reading this "two-bit" forum and learn so much from it. The comments on this particular thread have been most edifying. I can't imagine that anyone reading it would ever want to visit any place that would be so hostile to potential customers.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 am

Jimmy R wrote:It's definitely getting old, but it has accomplished one thing. I'm a neighbor who was planning to check out this place. That won't be happening now.

I love reading this "two-bit" forum and learn so much from it. The comments on this particular thread have been most edifying. I can't imagine that anyone reading it would ever want to visit any place that would be so hostile to potential customers.

I am far from defending Chris (I think that’s his name), as I think his hostility is misplaced - and I agree with your defending Robin’s forum as being anything but “two-bit”, but let’s not punish Martin’s for the loud voice of one employee. I’m not likely to go because I generally think there are terrific locally-owned BBQ places I’d rather frequent, but I’m sure a lot of great folks work at Martin’s and I hope they thrive.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 am

Why did Atypical fold?
PreviousNext