Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:10 pm

It has taken a mighty long time, but Martin's announced today that they're opening in the old Lynn's on August 21.

News Releaste wrote:MARTIN’S BAR-B-QUE JOINT WILL GET COOKING ON AUGUST 21 IN LOUISVILLE

Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint expands to its new location in Louisville, Kentucky, with plans to open its doors on Tuesday, August 21. The store, located at 984 Barret Ave., is the much anticipated second location of the nationally recognized barbecue restaurant, founded by acclaimed pitmaster and restaurateur Pat Martin.

“We feel blessed to have this opportunity to grow and are looking forward to getting to know our new friends and neighbors,” says Martin. “I’m excited to partner with several buddies who were born and bred in Louisville to spread the tradition of whole hog barbeque.”

The 6,000-square-foot restaurant will provide seating for more than 160 guests, with ample street parking, spots in the main lot and in an additional lot on Brent Street.

EMBRACING THE COMMUNITY

In addition to its barbecue, Martin’s is serious about supporting local community. The restaurant is committed to building ties with neighbors and plans to be heavily involved in the Germantown area, working with local schools, youth sports and various community projects. Martin’s is honored to be the new tenant of Lynn’s Paradise Café and will pay homage to the Louisville icon by keeping part of the original signage and showcasing photos and memorabilia, allowing guests to reminisce about the location’s past.

“I’ve been in love with the Highlands and Germantown neighborhoods for years, so we understand that Lynn’s was a big part of the community,” says Martin. “It left big shoes to fill but Lynn has been helpful with the transition. While I’m not sure if we’ll ever be able to fill them completely, we’re sure going to try! We plan to start with using our advertising budget to instead support local youth, schools, churches, cops and fire departments.”

MADE FROM SCRATCH, EVERY DAY

Martin’s is proud to be a scratch-made business with no freezers or microwaves in the building. Everything on the menu is made fresh daily, and meats, including ribs, chicken and beef brisket, are prepared with the intention of running out every night. At Martin’s, fresh hogs go on the brick pits each day for the next. The cooking process alone takes 24 hours, resulting in barbecue that is just as fresh as it is delicious. Menu highlights include the Whole Hog Barbecue Sandwich topped with slaw – the way God intended; the Sliced Brisket Tray, featuring juicy brisket; and Smoked Wings tossed in Martin’s house-made Alabama White Sauce.

Entrees are served with Southern-style sides like Broccoli Salad and Mac & Cheese. Most sides are made fresh from Martin’s family recipes, just like the dessert offerings, including favorites like Coconut Cake and Pecan and Fudge Pies.

Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint
http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm happy for the neighborhood that somebody is finally moving into the old Lynn's location but unless this location of Martin's is a lot better than the one in Indian Springs I'm not sure how they are ever going to recoup the money they spent. We've been to the one in Indian Springs a couple of times and the barbecue is far from spectacular. There are many other local barbecue places that are much better. Also, like many other restaurants the restaurant is extremely loud and crowded to move around in.

Yes, the place is always crowded, however I have no idea why. Maybe it's because people think that it's great because it's from out of town? Or it's from Nashville? Sure beats me.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Mark R. wrote:I'm happy for the neighborhood that somebody is finally moving into the old Lynn's location but unless this location of Martin's is a lot better than the one in Indian Springs I'm not sure how they are ever going to recoup the money they spent. We've been to the one in Indian Springs a couple of times and the barbecue is far from spectacular. There are many other local barbecue places that are much better. Also, like many other restaurants the restaurant is extremely loud and crowded to move around in.

Yes, the place is always crowded, however I have no idea why. Maybe it's because people think that it's great because it's from out of town? Or it's from Nashville? Sure beats me.

BBQ is sort of like pizza- it's what you learned to like as a child. In Cleveland, pepperoni rules, while in Chicago it's sausage. Different cities have different pizza styles (NY v Chicago v Detroit). Doesn't make one good and one bad, just different, and most will go for the style they grew up with.

Q is not that different. Most people like the style they had as kids. We moved here from Memphis, and while I wouldn't compare Martin's to Interstate or Rendezvous, it's the best example of "Tennessee style" we've found in Louisville!

I'm sure some will have other examples of TN style for us to try, and I thank you in advance!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:BBQ is sort of like pizza- it's what you learned to like as a child. In Cleveland, pepperoni rules, while in Chicago it's sausage. Different cities have different pizza styles (NY v Chicago v Detroit). Doesn't make one good and one bad, just different, and most will go for the style they grew up with.

Q is not that different. Most people like the style they had as kids. We moved here from Memphis, and while I wouldn't compare Martin's to Interstate or Rendezvous, it's the best example of "Tennessee style" we've found in Louisville!

I'm sure some will have other examples of TN style for us to try, and I thank you in advance!

Andrew, you are certainly correct that different people like different styles but from what I've seen in all my travels barbecue is something that cannot be reproduced from location to location. It is extremely dependent on the equipment being used and the people that use it. It's much more of a one of type of operation and it does not scale to commercial levels very well.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Mark R. wrote: barbecue is something that cannot be reproduced from location to location. It is extremely dependent on the equipment being used and the people that use it. It's much more of a one of type of operation and it does not scale to commercial levels very well.

Both agree and disagree. Most commercial smokers like Southern Pride can produce very good and consistent quality IF the individual operator is skilled enough to tweak the controls to account for ambient temperature and humidity, "meatiness" of product, et al. Tony Romas, for example, did a very uniform Q nation-wide, but ultimately failed because (IMHO) different regions of the country like different styles, and by picking one uniform style Tony Romas ended up pleasing nobody.

Famous Dave's is a franchise operation, and many are phenomenally successful as their operators adjust the national taste/texture/mouth feel to fit their regional tastes, while others follow the national model slavishly and are at best modestly successful.

All I'm saying is 'different strokes for different folks,' and as I like several Tennessee styles (especially whole hog/24 hour smoked) I think Martin's is decent fare!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:All I'm saying is 'different strokes for different folks,' and as I like several Tennessee styles (especially whole hog/24 hour smoked) I think Martin's is decent fare!

That, and by the simple measure of smoking whole hogs fresh on premises, they're starting out several steps ahead of cryovac product trucked in from a commissary.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:01 pm

I agree with the notion of regional que being preferential and all, however, and I'm not just saying this because of my ties to Martin's, but their que is superior to any other place in town. I've visited City, Jucy's, Mission, Mama's and Mark's in the last few months and they don't hold a candle to Martin's. Some of you visited my place and you know that I know my stuff. Obviously there are some bugs to work out at Indian Springs, and honestly, it's a management issue more than anything but they are making moves to make it better.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm

We live in Indian Springs. So, Martin's success is very important to the success of our "green space," which used to be the golf course. I love their food and I often judge BBQ based on the sides, which are very good. My main complaint...they have NEVER gotten one carry-out order right. We've had everything from completely forgotten/lost phone orders, wrong items, wrong size...It's always (and I mean always) an ordeal.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:29 am

Robin Garr wrote: That, and by the simple measure of smoking whole hogs fresh on premises, they're starting out several steps ahead of cryovac product trucked in from a commissary.

+1
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:45 am

CrisBanaszynski wrote: I'm not just saying this because of my ties to Martin's, but their que is superior to any other place in town. I've visited City, Jucy's, Mission, Mama's and Mark's in the last few months and they don't hold a candle to Martin's.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....Dude....That's like saying the Cleveland Browns are superior to the University of Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland. Seriously - Martin's BBQ is at best pedestrian...and their ribs flat out -suck-...With the exception of whole hog (which I have NO reason to cook) I make better product on a Weber Smokey Mountain in my back yard....I'll throw down with you anytime. Seriously.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:21 am

Steve P wrote:
CrisBanaszynski wrote: I'm not just saying this because of my ties to Martin's, but their que is superior to any other place in town. I've visited City, Jucy's, Mission, Mama's and Mark's in the last few months and they don't hold a candle to Martin's.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....Dude....That's like saying the Cleveland Browns are superior to the University of Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland. Seriously - Martin's BBQ is at best pedestrian...and their ribs flat out -suck-...With the exception of whole hog (which I have NO reason to cook) I make better product on a Weber Smokey Mountain in my back yard....I'll throw down with you anytime. Seriously.

So you've made production bbq for hundreds of people at a time?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:
Steve P wrote:

Actually, Steve has.
Just sayin’.
:oops:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Actually, Steve has.
Just sayin’.

Why don't you let him answer that question?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:40 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:So you've made production bbq for hundreds of people at a time?

Actually, Steve has.
Just sayin’.

Why don't you let him answer that question?

Because he's not going to? 8) Because doing a competition isn't the same thing as doing it every day? Just guessin' ... ;)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Chris, I wasn’t trying to be a smarty pants but I see you haven’t posted much on these sites. Welcome. We love having all the input about dining around the city from as many fronts as possible.

But, perhaps you don’t know your audience here on these boards. There’s many accomplished chefs, bakers, mixologists, restaurant owners and managers that post here. We’ve got James Beard finalists, chefs that have been seen on national TV and nationally noted folks in the restaurant field. This isn’t just a bunch of the usual “YELP” foodies or backyard enthusiasts.
It just so happens that Steve is quite accomplished in the BBQ sector. And yes he has cooked for a couple hundred at a time. While some may or may not agree with his tastes he is due his props for the work he has done.

In all fairness Chris, the other BBQ restaurants you mentioned that you consider Martin’s being superior to doesn’t exactly set the bar very high.
We wish Martin’s well and no doubt many here will make the drive out there to check them out.
You’ve done your job helping get the word out.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next