Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Stella Artois called out by R. Baylor

by Lonnie Turner » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:46 pm

I assume I missed an earlier post as Roger's article in LEO really hit the spot with me. My wife and I always avoid Stella Artois when traveling in Europe. We'd had it before when we were wide-eyed innocents assuming any beer made in Europe must be good. This one as well as Damm (marketed here as Barcelona Damm, I believe) and one or two others have made us wary. I was aghast to see those two beers making marketing efforts in the U.S. selling more useless industrial swill than we are already exposed to all the time. Who drinks this stuff? The skinhead football (soccer) hooligans or who? Rant, rant.
Roger, I know your article focused on Belgian beer but I have to ask you what you know about the British Isles. I've still not found a swill beer of the AB, Stella, Damm, etc. type in Britain that was MADE in Britain. Have they maintained their integrity on the holy mission or are their horrible British beers as well?
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Well ...

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 pm

I've not been to the UK for six years, and the way I'd answer this question is that while the Brits produce numerous wretched golden lagers, cheaply, without obvious merit and in contrast to their own glorious history of ale-making, these haven't yet infiltrated the world market. That's good.

My point is that those characteristics that make Belgian beer Belgian ... that make English ale English ... and so on .. are not reflected at all by internationally-marketed Euro lagers.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 pm

BTW, the Carling reference is right on the money.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:20 am

:wink:
no avatar
User