Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Fresh Market closing Middletown shop: Biz First

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm

I've never been a huge fan of Fresh Market, maybe mostly because neither store is really convenient to me. Is anybody really wrought up about the loss of one of the city's two stores?

Business First wrote:The Fresh Market is closing a Louisville store
By Bridgett Weaver – Reporter, Louisville Business First
Jul 9, 2018, 5:27pm EDT

The Fresh Market Inc. announced Monday that it will close 15 locations, including one in Louisville.

A company spokesperson said the chain will close the store at 10480 Shelbyville Road in Middletown, although it was unclear when the store will close. A news release from The Fresh Market will close stores in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

See Business First for the full story:
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... store.html?
ana=e_lou_bn_breakingnews&u=mnqD1JDZboSQ0q0lD0d1sA8eZJi&t=1531172645&j=82595821
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Fresh Market closing Middletown shop: Biz First

by Terri Beam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Well, it's disappointing to me. As someone who lives in "Bud Lite & Fried Chicken" Fern Creek, this was my go-to market when I want something more upscale than Kroger. It's easy to get to without dealing with all of that Shelbyville Road/Mall traffic BS that comes with Whole Foods/Trader Joe's/Fresh Thyme/Lucky's. Don't get me wrong. I like all of them for varying reasons (each has their niche pull on my pocketbook), but I'd much rather have better options than Walmart and Kroger closer to my home.

I've been holding out hope that Southpointe Commons (which seems to be in a perennial state of UNdevelopment even though the signs still say opening 2018) would bring us heathens out in the southeast corner at least one option (Rainbow Blossom, are you listening?). At one point, Fresh Thyme was going in across from SC, but they've backed down from that now. Last I heard, they're talking about putting in something like a Home Depot or Lowe's in SC, and we have both within a 10 minute drive already.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 pm

We did leaf fall into the category of people were very upset about the store closing! It's where we do probably 50% of our grocery shopping on a regular basis. Not only is it convenient to us but they have good quality products at a reasonable price. The other store in Louisville is extremely poorly located being at one of the busiest intersections in Metro Louisville.

A couple of years ago the manager of the store was telling us that it was one of the highest grossing stores in the entire chain. However recently it seems like it's a different manager there every week. With no continuity of management it's hard to make a store perform to expectations. It makes it seem like they were purposely making the store fail. It's also one of the smaller Fresh Markets certainly smaller than the one on US 42 but the credit union next to it is in the process of building a new store and that space could easily be taken over to expand this store.

As Terri said we really don't feel like fighting the traffic to go to Whole Foods or TJ. We actually like Whole Foods but we never really got into TJ or Aldi for that matter. What are we now left with? Kroger, who more and more is pushing their store brand products instead of national brands, Walmart, which is okay for prepackaged products but not much else and Meijer which always seems dirty and unorganized. We also lost our Value Market a couple of years ago to make way for a development that has not yet happened.

I keep hoping that one of the better regional supermarkets will come to the Louisville market like Publix, Bilo or can we even dream about having a Wegmans?

At least as far as we are concerned this is a huge hit to the Louisville grocery shopping landscape.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Closing Update:
They certainly aren't taking any time implementing this plan to allow time for the public to try to change their mind. I just got an email from them that the store closed at 4 p.m. today and will reopen tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. with 30% off of everything except alcohol which is 25% off. The store hours also are changing to 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the sale.

Obviously the email also include a lot of the normal corporate hype about "it was a hard decision", "we respect our customers", "hope you will continue to shop with us" etc.
Last edited by Mark R. on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

We liked it and went there often even though it’s not close to us (in the Highlands). They had stellar meats and seafood. Never even remotely been a fan of WF. Paul’s has ramped up the meat side and Highlands Seafood is across the parking lot in St. Matt’s, so that’s the new go to.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 am

I find that really disappointing. While I probably stop at Lucky's more than FM, I did find it to be one of the most reliable shops for good seafood (especially sea bass, if that was what I was really buying - I think so!).
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 am

I was guessing Lucky's may have been the culprit. The one on Rudy Lane is not going to close, though...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Well I’ll miss them. I just liked the shopping experience. Folks were nice too.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Carla G wrote:Well I’ll miss them. I just liked the shopping experience. Folks were nice too.

We went by this afternoon for the closing sale. There was a long line at the meat counter and hit the strip pretty bare but the rest of the storm free well-stocked.