Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louie's Hot Chicken & BBQ

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Louie's Hot Chicken & BBQ

by SilvioM » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:12 am

I had a very good meal there on Friday. It opened recently in the Lolita's Taco spot on Poplar Level. I had an excellent hot chicken platter and for $9 -- everything is in the 9-12 dollar range. I'm not a brisket eater, but I've heard that it is even better. It is officially a "carryout only" place (or so I overheard) since they do not have bathrooms, but there is a counter with stools and some picnic tables. Good food, not too pricey, worth a look.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Louie's Hot Chicken & BBQ

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks, Silvio! More hot chicken for Louisville, not that there's anything wrong with that. Thinking out loud, I don't recall Lolita's having restrooms either, or maybe I just didn't noticed. I wonder if something changed, or of Lolita's did that under the radar.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

I stopped into Louie's today at lunch. Apparently, there is a shared bathroom outside, two doors down, behind the building (someone stopped in and asked while I was there). Good crowd a little after noon...pulled pork, coleslaw, and baked beans were ordered and the pork was juicy and smoky, the coleslaw had just enough mayo and was crunchy and fresh and the baked beans were spicy and sweet, just how I like them. Prices were reasonable. I saw others with the brisket and it looked legit. Interestingly, I don't think anyone in the place while I was there ordered the chicken. They were out of mac and cheese, sadly, and there is no dessert option. There are about 6 stools inside with window facing counters, and several picnic tables out in the blazing sun. Needless to say, no one was wanting to eat outside. :o I will definitely go back.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm

I'll have to try the chicken soon. I'm not quite satisfied with either of the hot chicken joints we already had here - I like Royals' spice profile and their sides are outstanding, but it drives me crazy that they only offer tenders. Joella's does bone-in chicken, but their seasoning isn't quite as good, nor are their sides, and their chickens tend to be on the scrawny side. None of which stops me from patronizing either place, but I'd love to find place that more closely replicates the original joints in Nashville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 pm

My wife and I ate here tonight and as a fried chicken aficionado, i'd say it was some of the best chicken I've ever had. I had a 4-piece with two sides ($12) and my wife had a 10-piece smoked wings ($10). I believe they use a wet batter for the chicken; it's very crusty. I didn't realize what the seating arrangements were beforehand and we almost left (My wife hates counter seating) but we found a shady spot outside. This place has jumped into the top five as far as now being in our regular rotation.
no avatar
User

bruce.pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 pm

by bruce.pierce » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Went by Louie's to pick up lunch yesterday. Got the Hot Chicken. It is good chicken but it is not as hot and as good as Joella's. The crust is better than Joella's but the chicken was dry. The green beans and colesaw was wonderful.