Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Cuban restaurant in Jeffersontown

by Rich S » Tue May 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Havana Salsa Cuban Cuisine is preparing to open at 9909 Taylorsville Road, replacing a Señor Iguanas location. The Facebook page says they're going to open in May, but I'm skeptical since no updates have been posted since last month. I have to wonder what the Havana Rumba owners will think of this name.

https://www.facebook.com/Havana-Salsa-C ... 065541322/
no avatar
User

David Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am

Jeffersontown

Re: Cuban restaurant in Jeffersontown

by David Smith » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

They already have 4 reviews, on Google, and they aren't even open.

https://goo.gl/maps/8J4vX9wVAGE2
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I love how it has 4 reviews and not yet open. I went looked at them and I will give them credit that none of them said they had actually eaten there. People are giving great reviews just to say that looking forward to it? I sure as a lot of validity to the review system.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

Re: Cuban restaurant in Jeffersonto

by charles.minter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Tried this place out Saturday night and will be back soon. Nice crowd which I was happy to see.

I was very impressed with our waiter. Slight language barrier when answering questions about the menu, but it added authenticity, as opposed to a problem, in my opinion. No idea if he is related to the owners, but he took great pride in the food and was very happy and thankful after hearing our responses to his questions about if we liked the food.

Our group had a pork dish, a chicken dish, a shrimp dish and a beef dish. Everyone loved it.

Now on to the unavoidable comparison. The veggie empanadas appetizer was terrific. It was better than Havana Rumbas as the inside ingredients were hotter and the empanada was crispier. The rest of the food was equal to if not slightly better than Rumbas. The menu was a condensed Rumba menu. It had all the classics but not as big.

It was slightly too warm in there but it’s been hot as hell so not faulting them too much.

They seemed to have a fairly lengthy drink menu, but we stuck with Diet Pepsi.

In summary, really good food and a staff that really gave a damn up to the point to a waiter who wasn’t ours sprinting to get the door for us as we left.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks for the excellent review, Charles. Sounds like a place to get to sooner rather than later.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 am

I need to know, are the Mojitos as good as at the Rumbas?
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I finally tried this place a few weeks ago and was impressed. Since Havana Rumba is my local watering hole, I felt like I needed to give Havana Salsa a shot. Let's get this out of the way: Their opening hours are the same as HR, their margarita glasses are the same, many of the menu items are the same, and even the after-dinner mints are the same. That said, I specifically wanted to order a dish that I couldn't get at HR, so I got the Cuban quesadilla appetizer as my meal and was very impressed with it. The Perfect Margarita was awesome, as well, on par with (but not a carbon copy of) the Ultimate Margarita at HR. The service was very good. I really liked the place and hope they make it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks for the report, Nathaniel, and welcome to the forum! Did you get my reply to your email? Let me know, email or private message.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm

One of my coworkers mentioned it looked like a new restaurant was in this location, however, I saw a Google review that indicated it's the same restaurant and same owners, they just changed their name to Floridita. I'm sure Havana Rumba was none too happy with the original name!