Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bardstown & Watterson Trail

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Bardstown & Watterson Trail

by Richard S. » Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Rode by the cursed site near the corner of Bardstown & Watterson Trail today and saw there's a Peruvian charcoal chicken place going in. I'm assuming it will be along the lines of Yummy Pollo (which we love). They have a sign up but I forgot the name by the time I got home.

The Game Day Wings place that was in there previously looked like they were making a go of it, but shut down and never reopened. I pulled in one day to read the sign taped on the door; apparently one of the owner's kids had died and what was supposed to be a temporary closure ended up being permanent. There were at least two Mexican places and a Cuban bakery in there before that. I believe it began life as a coffee shop, but it's on the wrong side of the road to capture the morning work traffic.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Bardstown & Watterson Trail

by Steve Shade » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 pm

It was a liquor store at one time. This would have been in 80s.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed May 23, 2018 4:06 pm

It was a liquor store when I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s. I remember because we almost always stopped at Burger Chef next door (which was turned into a bar for many years until they tore it down for Walgreens which now stands empty).

After it was a liquor store, for several years it was a Chinese restaurant called Jade Dragon (or something with Jade in the name). That would have been mid-90s-ish. After that came the string of Mexican places, coffee places, and then Game Day.

If there's Peruvian chicken going in there, I'll be happy (if they do it right). As it turns out, the owner of Yummy Pollo lives in Fern Creek, and I told him I wish he'd opened there first!

We also eat at Carali's on occasion. I like that they offer wraps as an option for those of us who are too lazy to pick meat off the bones.

On a side note, the former Pizza Hut/Mexican/The Smokehouse BBQ is now set to be another Mexican restaurant. I can't remember the name, but it's not one of the chains in the area.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm

In addition to the Mexican restaurant going into the former Smokehouse BBQ, we can add a Guadalajara store/carneceria in the former Save a Lot on the strip behind Homemade Pies and Ice Cream Kitchen. Although far from being a foodie destination, I will admit that food choices have increased remarkably along Bardstown Rd from Beuchal bypass to the other end of the Gene Snyder at Glenmary.
James J. Natsis
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Sat May 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Richard S. wrote:Rode by the cursed site near the corner of Bardstown & Watterson Trail today and saw there's a Peruvian charcoal chicken place going in. I'm assuming it will be along the lines of Yummy Pollo (which we love). They have a sign up but I forgot the name by the time I got home.

Opening today. (Saturday)
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon May 28, 2018 8:37 pm

What is the name of the place?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Mon May 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Margie L wrote:What is the name of the place?

Sorry but I do not know. However it is next to the Collier Motel and next to a closed Walgreens.

Have not tried it but certainly will.
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Margie L wrote:What is the name of the place?

El Rinconcito
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Terri Beam » Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 pm

My partner and I ate at El Rinconcito yesterday. I've been trying to upload pictures of the menu without success.

They have a somewhat more varied menu than Yummy Pollo and Carali's including some very interesting specials only available on Fridays and Saturdays. Unlike YP, the food is dished out in the kitchen, as there is no steam table. The server at the front counter was very friendly. She said they'd been pretty busy.

We both had 1/2 chicken with 2 orders of yuca fries a piece because we're addicts. They also provide a yellow and a green sauce. I'd say that YP has a slight edge in the flavor of the chicken, but the yuca fries were identical (and delicious). Only bottled and canned beverages are available. No liquor or alcohol.

On the whole I'm happy to have them in the neighborhood, and my partner wants to go back on Friday or Saturday for "Steak A Lo Pobre" which is one of the specials. If I can't get the menu photos uploaded, I'll post a quick synopsis of the menu.
Last edited by Terri Beam on Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Terri Beam » Wed May 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Pictures won't attach, so here goes:

The usual whole, 1/2, and 1/4 chicken options with two sides or chicken only from $7.95 to $19.99.

Sides include the usual suspects with Peruvian chicken with the addition of sweet plantains.

Also available are beef empanadas ($3,00), Yuca A La Huancaina (with cheese sauce) ($5.99), Papa A La Huancaina (boiled potatoes with cheese sauce) ($5.95), Salchipapa (hot dog with french fries) ($7.95), and Lomo Saltado ($11.99).

Friday and Saturday specials include Sandwich De Chicharron ($8.99), Tamales De Puerco ($3.99), Steak A Lo Pobre ($15.99), Tallarines Verde Con Bistec ($14.95), Calamares Fritos ($8.95), Jalea (Peruvian fried seafood platter) ($15.95) Peruvian Corn with Cheese ($4.75), Ceviche De Pescado ($12.95), Chicharron De Pescado ($13.95), and Seco de Res ($12.50).

There's an assortment of dessesrts (Crema Voltada, Chocoflan, Guargueros, Alfajores, Pionono, Tiramisu, Pie De Limon, and Torta Helada). Jello cake...curiousity might get the better of me.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm

I've eaten here a few times and ride by nearly every day. Unfortunately, I rarely see more than one or two cars in the parking lot. I'm hoping they're able to hang on.