Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:32 am

L&N Seafood was a Ruby Tuesday/Morrison Speciality Restaurant creation. They were phased out in the mid 1990's. Pretty good,small chain seafood. I agree with Robin, we are awash in good seafood here.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 am

I agree, there are many restaurants in town that do a great fish dish or two. There are certainly some local specialty places I love as well.

Just from a selfish stance I'd like to see a good seafood place Like M&S that has a great steak on the menu. I might be more sensitive to this since I do just eat seafood.

I frequent most of the the restaurants you mentioned and I still feel like there is a place for and the resources here for, a topnotch seafood establishment.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 am

I do grow tired of complaining about chains and such. Some are very good, some aren't, just like today's Originals, some are awesome, and others aren't. While I know some money goes away from Louisville when a chain comes in, a whole heckuva lot stays here, in that these restaurants are staffing 50 + people that reside HERE, so it is local, IMO>
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 am

I do grow tired of complaining about chains and such. Some are very good, some aren't, just like today's Originals, some are awesome, and others aren't. While I know some money goes away from Louisville when a chain comes in, a whole heckuva lot stays here, in that these restaurants are staffing 50 + people that reside HERE, so it is local, IMO>
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:51 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:I do grow tired of complaining about chains and such. Some are very good, some aren't, just like today's Originals, some are awesome, and others aren't. While I know some money goes away from Louisville when a chain comes in, a whole heckuva lot stays here, in that these restaurants are staffing 50 + people that reside HERE, so it is local, IMO>

I dine where I feel I receive the best value based on the food, the service and the overall ambience. Rob, you've got it right. Some local places can't deliver on that just as some chains can't. I do try my best to support the locals (I ate at Havana Rumba today, Shiraz yesterday, Goose Creek Diner last weekend and lunch at Artemesia 2 weeks ago...oh and a pizza at Primo's just last week) but some chains really do get it right. A few that come to mind are Mitchell's, Carrabba's and Bonefish Grill. And for a nice burger or an open faced sandy with all I can eat fries with awesome seasoning, I really enjoy Red Robin. Oh, and I had a really nice lunch 2 weeks ago at the Cheesecake Factory, courtesy of a gift card I received.

As always....
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:I do grow tired of complaining about chains and such. Some are very good, some aren't, just like today's Originals, some are awesome, and others aren't. While I know some money goes away from Louisville when a chain comes in, a whole heckuva lot stays here, in that these restaurants are staffing 50 + people that reside HERE, so it is local, IMO>

When I read these threads I see a good balance of those who are in favor of chains and speak highly of them and those that oppose them. Why is it that those who criticize chains rankle other forum members like yourself? One of the real values of this forum, IMHO, is that a nice balance emerges from all of the competing viewpoints.

Even though I have a preference for locally owned over chain, I wouldn't begrudge someone their right to extoll the virtues of a chain. In fact, because I do listen to everyone on this forum, even those who have opposite viewpoints, I have been persuaded to try several chains and have found that I really like some of them. Three that I can think of are Carraba's, Mitchell's and Bonefish Grill.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:21 am

Ron Johnson wrote:When I read these threads I see a good balance of those who are in favor of chains and speak highly of them and those that oppose them. Why is it that those who criticize chains rankle other forum members like yourself? One of the real values of this forum, IMHO, is that a nice balance emerges from all of the competing viewpoints.

I've never been able to figure this out either. It's almost as if there's an underlying, maybe unconscious political issue.

I'd say that for most of us in this forum there's a predisposition to support local independent businesses where it's reasonable to do so, and to look for quality wherever it can be found.

I also think that it's reasonable to bear some cynicism about the economic realities of corporate ownership, in restaurants and in every other business: The bigger and farther away the management, the larger the company, the more likely it is that decisions will tend to favor the corporation and its stockholders and the quarterly balance sheet.

But it would be foolish to draw a hard line and place all chains on the "bad" side, and I don't know of anyone here who does that. I think just about all of us respect the consistent effort we see at Bonefish and Carrabbas, which are both Outback properties, and to understand that this suggests an unusual understanding by Outback that quality pays off in the long run. It's a lesson that too many chains fail to learn.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:38 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:I do grow tired of complaining about chains and such. Some are very good, some aren't, just like today's Originals, some are awesome, and others aren't. >

I think that all of the Originals are great. They've all been in business for at least one year and each have unique character. I'll never feel that kind of "very good" from a national chain, regardless of who they employ. If it were not them hiring, it would be our own. I am an extremist, though. I'd love to see our city shut down/close off further development from franchises to offer opportunities to locals for loans and properties. I'd love to aim only as high as one small successful cafe with enough revenue to pay my staff fair wages, (which is extremely hard for our locals to do as they compete relentlessly with the larger, more booming chains) and live in a comfortable home. I vacationed in Teluride once, and I can't think off of the top of my head which other US cities also have enacted this charm, but it really seemed to be just about the cheeriest place I've ever been. My utopia. I'd go in that direction if anyone wants to start the revolution.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:11 pm

The way I see it....chains gernerally thrive or fail based upon consistancy....thus their strength can be their downfall.

My family generally avoids chains and it has nothing to do with "big" business or any political leanings, the fact is that the food tends to be more interesting and of a higher caliber at the locally own places. The foods strikes me as less processed. Plus, we like getting to know the owners and/or the people who do the cooking.

We do eat at chain restaurants on occasion...Mitchell's, Martini's, P.F. Chang, (cringe), some BBQ, Cracker Barrell (ok when the hillbillie needs to get out), maybe one of the high-end steak chains. About 50% of our meals out are sushi...no chain there, and the rest tend to be either high-end continental style dining or ethnic food.

Chains I do not care for: Olive Garden, Max & Erma's, any rib chain (this does not include BBQ)

There are enough appetites and needs for chains and independants to co-exist...frankly our city needs both.
Previous