Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:59 am

Dan,
Repeat this to yourself.
"A woman can never have too many shoes."
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Leah s wrote:Dan,
Repeat this to yourself.
"A woman can never have too many shoes."

Were we married once?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 am

There's a long story about this possibility in Business First this week. They apparently couldn't get company or city officials to confirm anything, but there are all sorts of intriguing nuances in it, including some rather bizarre comments from a Cincinnati restaurateur on the third page ...

McCormick & Schmick's likely headed to Starks Building
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Orlando

by Casey J. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 am

Last week, my wife and I dined at one of their Florida locations. The service was very bad and our meals came out wrong.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

:(

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 am

Robin Garr wrote:There's a long story about this possibility in Business First this week. They apparently couldn't get company or city officials to confirm anything, but there are all sorts of intriguing nuances in it, including some rather bizarre comments from a Cincinnati restaurateur on the third page ...

McCormick & Schmick's likely headed to Starks Building

This article is for Paid Print Subscribers ONLY. I'm not, so I only get teased. Unless, the front page is all it was. If so, it provided very little detail.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: :(

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am

Doogy R wrote:This article is for Paid Print Subscribers ONLY. I'm not, so I only get teased. Unless, the front page is all it was. If so, it provided very little detail.

That's odd. I am not a paid print subscriber, yet I'm seeing the whole thing. Are you sure you're clicking the right way? ;)

Hmm, try this link and let me know if it works. Note that the forum software breaks the hotlink after the ^ so if the highlighted portion of the link is not clickable, you may have to copy and paste the whole thing into your browser window.
http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/
2008/01/28/story1.html?f=et181&b=1201496400^1581901&ana=e_vert
Last edited by Robin Garr on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:00 am

I would much rather see a locally owned restaurant going into that space, but I am glad to see something opening there, even if it is a very mediocre restaurant.
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Just my two cents... I worked at the M&S in Baltimore when they first opened, which was back in 1999. Their concept is almost identical to Mitchell's actually and they also print their menus twice a day. There are several concepts within the M&S chain, so the menu will be dependent on which one opens here.

Pluses: I always found the education of the staff high and the freshness and quality of the food good.

Minuses: I always considered myself a good server and was once told that I cared "too much" about the customers. Needless to say, local management wasn't thrilled with me, but corporate loved me for always holding the kitchen and others to the high standard that M&S has.
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 pm

I ate at one of the Seattle stores while attending the Craft Brewers Conference in 1996. The food and service were of the highest quality. The only complaint we had (party of six) was the oyster pricing. We each ordered a dozen from the eight varieties they offered and shared around the table. It wasn't until the check came that we realized the oyster prices on the menu were for HALF-dozen! 160 some-odd dollar round of apps.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: :(

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm, try this link and let me know if it works.

That did it, thanks.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant

by Steve P » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:54 pm

Becky and I have eaten at the Mc&S in Minneapolis...Ehhhhhhhh...Using Robin's 1-100 scale I'd probably give it a 77. The ambiance was OK, the service was above average, the food was presented well but the flavor was a bit less than what we had expected given the price. That being said, like anywhere else, I'm sure there will be lines out the door when/if the place opens in L'ville...

Steve P

Robert Carnighan wrote:Heard today that one will be coming into the old Rodes spot on the first floor of the Heyburn Building just next to Fourth Street Live. Our one experience at the Baltimore Inner Harbor location was not impressive.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am

It's obvious that people have had different experiences with M&S. Depending on the location.

Can anyone name a seafood restaurant in Louisville that is better? I think we're lacking in seafood places... mediocre, local or chain.

I do like Mitchells but again a chain. Bonefish?

It would be fantastic if a good local place were to open but I'll take anything right now.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am

Historically local seafood meant fried basically - Mike Linings or Kingfish.

L & N Seafood on Husrtbourne Parkway used to be ok....I'm not sure if it was a chain or locally owned.

Actually I think the fish options are really good in this town when you consider what's available at the non-seafood places.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

Most of it is fried though. I love the fish house on Winter, crave their Fried oysters fourtnightly.... but it's still fried. ......I mean a good seafood place with more than 2 fish choices on a menu. And specialities like stone crab
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:22 am

christopher stockton wrote:It's obvious that people have had different experiences with M&S. Depending on the location.

Can anyone name a seafood restaurant in Louisville that is better? I think we're lacking in seafood places... mediocre, local or chain.

I do like Mitchells but again a chain. Bonefish?

It would be fantastic if a good local place were to open but I'll take anything right now.

I think we're missing a very important point: Louisville, an inland city, is not rich in all-seafood restaurants of the kind one finds on the docks or on the beach in a coastal city.

But because of our long German/Irish/Italian Catholic fish-eating heritage and, in more modern times, because of the path blazed by Stan and Lelia Gentle, Bluefin and more recently, UPS, we have access to remarkable fish and seafood in this town, and virtually all of our better restaurants feature seafood prominently. They just don't do all seafood, all the time.

But what's not to like about ...

* The seafood half of the menu at Z's. Remember, "Oyster Bar" is half of its name, and excellent seafood is as imporant a part of its mission as steak.

* Seviche, Bardstown and Goose Creek. Seafood, fresh and fine, is what it's all about.

* OUtstanding fish dishes at just about every good eatery in town. Tuna Humphries at L&N. The potato-wrapped salmon at the late Azalea, Asiatique's awesome seafood dishes. Name me one top restaurant (other than maybe Pat's) that does NOT have an excellent seafood and fish dish.

* At least a dozen excellent sushi bars and seafood-happy Japanese restaurants, from Sapporo to Maido and in between. Latino seafood, particularly realized at both Perla de Pacifico restaurants.

No, you can't go down to the Ohio River and find a place pulling fish out of the water and frying it. Joe's Crab House is a very poor imitation. ;)

But open your eyes just a little wider and think about what we DO have in terms of seafood and fish: Great <i>choices</i>, all on the same menu. I have a hard time feeling deprived about this.
PreviousNext