Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant

by Robert Carnighan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Heard today that one will be coming into the old Rodes spot on the first floor of the Heyburn Building just next to Fourth Street Live. Our one experience at the Baltimore Inner Harbor location was not impressive.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:15 pm

I ate at the same one a few months ago when I was in Baltimore. We had to wait an hour for a table. The food was ok but nothing to justify the wait.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:32 pm

They definitely vary in standard around the country...

The original in Seattle is my fav. Worst one I've been to was in Kansas City.

I do like them though. It's exciting to hear they are coming here.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:41 pm

I've been to the one in San Francisco, which is called McCormick & Kuleto's for some reason. I thought it was good, but the best thing was the view of the Bay.
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Can someone tell me why a chain, no matter how upscale or trendy, is cause for excitement? Who is it for? Tourists? A notch on the local belt? Gimme our Originals!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:Can someone tell me why a chain, no matter how upscale or trendy, is cause for excitement? Who is it for? Tourists? A notch on the local belt? Gimme our Originals!

Word!
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:Can someone tell me why a chain, no matter how upscale or trendy, is cause for excitement? Who is it for? Tourists? A notch on the local belt? Gimme our Originals!

I am all for the betterment of downtown, but why aren't more locals places being involved? I understand, to a degree, the need for some recognizable names for the conventioneers and tourists, but we need a strong local presence downtown as well. Is it all about money, is it politics, is there a real effort to keep locals out of the revitalization that's happening downtown? I can think of only a few local places downtown, and even fewer of them are in the big name initiatives.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Word!

Ouch! lol I just like the place. I don't eat meat but love seafood and they have a good selection.

I'll take a local place over a chain any day but whats wrong with a high class chain, serving a great selection of seafood, in louisville?

It also makes me believe that Louisville is on the map when I see a company like that come to town. They only seem to target progressive.. worthy cities. They do their homework.

M$S isn't cheap but it is affordable. Perhaps we could name a few seafood reasturants in town that can compete with the quality and the service they provide. I can only think of a couple.

It would also offer a lot of skilled wait staff, a great job.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

McCormick and 4th St Live

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Robert,
How reliable is your source? I checked McCormick's website and found no indication of locating to Louisville.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 pm

I think their quality varies by location. I've had some very good meals at the one near Dupont Circle in D.C.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Jon K wrote:I think their quality varies by location. I've had some very good meals at the one near Dupont Circle in D.C.

Most chains, even local ones, seem to have that very problem. The problem with consistency.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Wasn't there a rumor a while back that McCormick & Schmick's was going to put a restaurant in the new coliseum? That probably makes more sense than this location since it would help out of towners to events in the coliseum.

As far as their food quality goes most of the ones I've been to have had pretty good quality of they're quite pricey. I'd certainly rather have a new local restaurant but if it takes a chain to get another nice seafood restaurant in town I'm all for it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Seattle, San Fran and Austin are my favorites. You're right they do vary but the good ones are very good.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 pm

A reasonable request James. We were told at lunch by a lady who was told by a business owner on Fourth Street next to Fourth Street Alive that it had been announced at a meeting this morning. It was also announced that there would be additional restaurants but they could not yet be named. We will see.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Just by looking at their site, they sound a whole lot like a Mitchell's.
Next