Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Cross Ninth Street for the Jamaican joys of Roof Top

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am

Ninth Street is no barrier to the Jamaican joys of Roof Top Grill.

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Oxtail dinner at Roof Top Grill, with Jamaican cabbage, collards, and a corn muffin.

Let’s tear down that wall, the imaginary one along Ninth Street that some people think separates our West End neighbors from the rest of us. I can’t think of a better time than Derby season to do it, and I’ve got a great destination in mind: Roof Top Grill, a friendly eatery that turns out some of the best Jamaican food around.

Once you’ve smashed the barrier, you’ll find Roof Top at the corner of Louis Coleman Jr. Drive, (formerly known as 34th Street), in a pale-tan stucco building with a green-and-black Jamaican flag painted on the side.

Sturdy bars on the doors and windows and glass enclosing the ordering area signal that this is an inner-city dining room, but the warm welcome and friendly crowd will make you feel right at home.

The long, narrow room is sparkling clean, with terra-cotta walls decorated with paintings of tropical scenes. A shrine-like grouping of photos at the back of the room features three images of Bob Marley and one of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Be prepared to settle in and watch the big-screen televisions, as it may take a little while for your food to come out. Most dishes are prepared to order, and this care in the kitchen shows in high quality, hand-crafted renditions of Jamaican fare. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/roof-top-grill

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Roof Top Grill
708 Louis Coleman Jr. Drive
785-4069
https://facebook.com/Rooftopgrilljamaicancusine
Robin Garr’s rating: 85 points
Another location: 414 W. Oak St., 618-2287

Robin Garr's rating: 85 points

Noise level: Quiet enough for easy conversation; volume on two screens tuned to ESPN was turned down low. (Average sound level 63-70 dB.)

Accessibility: The level entrance forms no barrier to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Cross Ninth Street for the Jamaican joys of Roof Top

by Margie L » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks Robin. Jamaican Beef Patties!!! Remember Taste of Jamaica? Where Lynn's started out? I used to love their beef patties...now I know where to find some!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

I do remember Taste of Jamaica, Margie! Also their house-made ginger ale that was made with fresh ginger and would clear your sinuses out. Roof Top doesn't have that, but they do have a canned Jamaican ginger beer that's hot and good.

I wonder how many people even remember when Lynn's was over there in Clifton? They had long lines even then.

Also, in the same location, Little Bit of Seoul! :)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri May 04, 2018 3:24 pm

I’m glad you reviewed this place — the jerk chicken, patties, and curry goat are all really good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm glad we went too, Iggy. It's one of those places that might look downscale but has a really good cook who knows food at work in the kitchen.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm glad we went too, Iggy. It's one of those places that might look downscale but has a really good cook who knows food at work in the kitchen.

I went there 3 times over a short period about 2 yrs ago. I brought a few out-of-towners as well.
My thoughts precisely, Robin. Somebody takes time and care with each dish. The place is simple, and a bit worn. But I kind of like that anyway. Its an interesting place to just sit in and observe the neighborhood feel. The owners were always nice and appreciative to me.
One final note: its a trek beyond 9th st., but its on the corner of Broadway so it is easily accessible. The new YMCA and Passport health headquarters developments will change that area once they are completed in the next 18 months or so.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 05, 2018 10:06 am

Yes, I know a lot of people worry about going to the West End, but we didn't feel any unease either during a lunchtime or dinner visit, and as you say, the owners are very friendly ... and so were the other diners. In addition to being a straight shot west on Broadway, it's also just three or four blocks from the Watterson's Muhammad Ali exit.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 am

Finally read this review. Robin, three cheers for making the visit. It's on my short list now.
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

They opened a second location on Oak St next to Bottld (by Garvin).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 pm

meghan.levins wrote:They opened a second location on Oak St next to Bottld (by Garvin).

Thanks, Meghan! That's actually mentioned in the article ... "Another location: 414 W. Oak St., 618-2287." I decided that I'd rather review the original, though.