Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Egg Allergies and restaurant selections

no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Egg Allergies and restaurant selections

by Todd Antz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:07 pm

With my youngest daughter recently being diagnosed with an egg allergy, we have traveling a strange road of trying to find places to take her out to eat without worrying about eggs being used in every dish. Ironically, we had no idea that eggs were so prevalent in so many dishes until the diagnosis, and it has made it a royal pain to take a 2 year old out and try to find something on the kids menu that is egg free. Most items on the menu, from pizza, anything breaded (not always of course, but we are finding that it is more of the rule rather than the exception) to pasta contain eggs.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of which establishments are egg friendly for the little ones? Or I guess that would be egg unfriendly.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:22 pm

hey Todd

our pizza dough, sandwich bread, and lasagna noodles are egg free
our chicken tenders are egg free as well (light cornmeal breading)

i'm not sure off hand about our pretzels and spaghetti noodles

but the rest of the menu looks good

thanks and good luck
shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Egg Allergies and restaurant selections

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Todd Antz wrote:So, does anyone have any suggestions of which establishments are egg friendly for the little ones? Or I guess that would be egg unfriendly.

I guess we can write off Wild Eggs here. ;)

Seriously, though, Todd, look for any restaurant that's vegan or that caters knowledgeably to vegans. Zen Garden comes to mind, Meridian Cafe and Third Avenue Cafe. Not that they could pick anything on the menu, but no competent vegan or omnivorous chef who understands vegetarian and vegal issues will knowingly use eggs in a dish so billed.
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:51 pm

In addition to the places Robin listed, Ramsi's is very vegan friendly.

When it comes time for birthdays and parties, we have several vegan cake options that we can make with a few days notice at Sweet Surrender. And if dairy is okay, we can adapt our vegan recipes a little. Just let us know about the egg allergy and any other food allergies when you order.

Also, for cooking at home, Amazing Grace has a product in their baking section called Egg Replacer that makes cooking a little easier when it comes to traditional recipes that call for eggs. I've used it in baking several times with great success.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

North End Cafe

by Nora Boyle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:59 pm

The North End Cafe has many egg-free options as well. Vegan tacos, potato melts, vegan reubans, tofu stirfry, and others. Brekky served till 3pm, and we work with your needs.
no avatar
User

KrisHamilton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Okolona

by KrisHamilton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am

Not really "food" related, but be careful about getting flu shots. I have a friend who has to get a "special" flu shot because she has an egg allergy and apparently the vaccine is sometimes incubated in chicken eggs. Might want to check with your doctor just in case.