Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Tomorrow's "Desserts First" benefits Girl Scouts

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:30 am

<b>Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana "Desserts First"</b>
Thursday, Jan. 24, 2008

Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana will hold the second annual Desserts First fundraising event on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2008, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Marriott Louisville Downtown.

Louisville’s finest restaurant chefs will create original desserts using the well-known Girl Scout Cookie varieties as the key ingredient, and present them for tasting. This signature event is open to the public. The evening will also include music, hors d’oeuvres, auctions, a judging crowning the best dessert of the event, and many more surprises! Guests will also vote and participate in the "People’s Choice" awards.

The forum's own Marsha L. will be one of the participating chefs! Marsha says she'll enter Peanut Butter and Jelly Tiramisu, with peanut butter Do-Si-Dos (creme sandwich cookie) in place of the lady fingers.

All funds raised from this event will go to Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana, which serves over 22,000 girls and 6,800 adult volunteers in 60 counties in central and western Kentucky and southern Indiana.

Tickets are $50. Corporate tables are available for $1,000.

Online registration for this event is available. No tickets will be sent. Your name will be held at the door.

To register, click
https://www.kyanags.org/kyanagsnew/register_df.aspx

(Parenthetically, I'm delighted to promote this great event, but I can't help notice that just about all the local food media are listed as media sponsors <i>except</i> LouisvilleHotBytes and LEO. I wonder what's up with that? They think we're too weird for little girls? ;) )
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Tomorrow's "Desserts First" benefits Girl Scou

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:
(Parenthetically, I'm delighted to promote this great event, but I can't help notice that just about all the local food media are listed as media sponsors <i>except</i> LouisvilleHotBytes and LEO. I wonder what's up with that? They think we're too weird for little girls? ;) )

in all fairness:
all the other local media i believe are in some way sponsoring the event, with either monetary or media coverage.

that aside;

the Oakroom/Seelbach will be participating as well;
Seelbach Assistant Pastry Chef, Sarah McGregor (most recently Pastry Chef at Park Place), and myself will be entering a dessert we're calling:

<b>‘Winter Thyme’</b>
<i>Gâteau of Brown Butter and ‘All Abouts’ Cake, Mascarpone + Thyme,
‘All Abouts’ Crumble, Maple Meringue, Blueberry Gelée</i>

(Girl Scout 'All Abouts' cookies are a shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate fudge)

hopefully some forums faces will show.

(otherwise, live TV media coverage should be shown on Wave 3)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 am

Ethan Ray wrote:in all fairness:
all the other local media i believe are in some way sponsoring the event, with either monetary or media coverage.

Exactly my point, Ethan. Why didn't they contact us? I can't speak for LEO, but LouisvilleHotBytes would have been delighted to join in as a media sponsor, as we do for many charitable and fund-raising events, most recently the city's WorldFest. I'm always happy to work with legitimate non-profits in this way, and it should be noted that we bring more circulation to the table than any print media. But they didn't write, they didn't call. "In all fairness"? What exactly do you mean by that?

that aside;

the Oakroom/Seelbach will be participating as well;
Seelbach Assistant Pastry Chef, Sarah McGregor (most recently Pastry Chef at Park Place), and myself will be entering a dessert we're calling:

<b>‘Winter Thyme’</b>
<i>Gâteau of Brown Butter and ‘All Abouts’ Cake, Mascarpone + Thyme,
‘All Abouts’ Crumble, Maple Meringue, Blueberry Gelée</i>

(Girl Scout 'All Abouts' cookies are a shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate fudge)

Excellent! I wonder which other restaurants are represented. If any others want to speak up in this thread, they're welcome to do so.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

Girl Scout Coffee

by David Lange » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:28 am

Consumers Choice Coffee would like to invite all attendees to our booth to sample our dessert coffee drink that we call Caffe Samoa. It melds coffee with coconut, chocolate and caramel syrups. We then top it with whipped cream, chocolate and caramel sauces and sprinkle over it Girl Scout Somoa pieces. I hope any forum attendees stop by, I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you.

David Lange
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 am

I know its too late for this year, but how do you get invited to participate?
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Exactly my point, Ethan. Why didn't they contact us? I can't speak for LEO, but LouisvilleHotBytes would have been delighted to join in as a media sponsor, as we do for many charitable and fund-raising events, most recently the city's WorldFest. I'm always happy to work with legitimate non-profits in this way, and it should be noted that we bring more circulation to the table than any print media. But they didn't write, they didn't call. "In all fairness"? What exactly do you mean by that?

What i mean by that is that in your initial post you stated: <i>I'm delighted to promote this great event, but I can't help notice that just about all the local food media are listed as media sponsors except LouisvilleHotBytes and LEO. I wonder what's up with that?</i>
which originally reads as if slighted.
I can't explain not getting the LEO on board, but i'm willing to bet a number of the people organizing the event are unaware of LHB.
Truth be told, i was going to have Kim Inge (Desserts First coordinator) contact you about such a thing, at least about a press release type thing, but between my daily work and trying to prep for this event, it slipped my mind until this Tuesday, and it seemed a little late by then.
Since this is a (now) annual event, i could send you Kim's email or vice versa.

My apologies if my 'in all fairness' wording came off in the wrong way - it was entirely unintentional.

Robin Garr wrote:
Excellent! I wonder which other restaurants are represented. If any others want to speak up in this thread, they're welcome to do so.

Participants (not all making desserts):

Amerigo
Artemesia
Baxter Station
Bistro 301
The Bodega at Felice
Butterfly Garden Cafe
Cafe Lou Lou
Captain's Quarters
Desserts by Debbie
Jefferson (JCTCCAP)
Limestone
The Melting Pot of Louisville
The Oakroom/seelbach
On the Border
Porcini's
Ruth's Chris Steak House
Standard Country Club
The Irish Rover
The Jefferson Club
Varanese
Vincenzo's
Volare
Edy's Grand Ice Cream
Consumer's Choice Coffee
Four Roses Bourbon
Pama Liqueur
Molecular Bartending
Raw Sushi Bar
Max and Erma's
Blu
Bill's Famous Spreads
Boombozz Pizza Bistro
Last edited by Ethan Ray on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I saw a segment on the morning news yesterday with Chef Terrence from the Irish Rover. He was assembling his dessert with "help" from the reporter.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Leah s wrote:I know its too late for this year, but how do you get invited to participate?

...I was contacted after doing it for last years inaugural event.

I can put you in contact with Kim Inge if you'd be interested in next years event.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Thank you Ethan. I am quite interested.
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Looking forward to it!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Hubby and I are planning to go -- looking forward to seeing forumites and forum chefs!

Melissa
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

Re: Girl Scout Coffee

by Tina M » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:07 pm

David Lange wrote:Consumers Choice Coffee would like to invite all attendees to our booth to sample our dessert coffee drink that we call Caffe Samoa. It melds coffee with coconut, chocolate and caramel syrups. We then top it with whipped cream, chocolate and caramel sauces and sprinkle over it Girl Scout Somoa pieces. I hope any forum attendees stop by, I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you.

David Lange

I won't be able to attend, but HOLY Yumminess, Batman! That sounds decadent.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Invite

by Heather Y » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:08 pm

We got an e-mail from Lou. Originals a few months ago about how and when.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 pm

I hope that next year they update their ad on tv for this event. It was obvious they used an old ad due to several "participants" aren't in business any more!!! ie: Alameda
Just thought it was funny!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Carolyne Davis wrote:I hope that next year they update their ad on tv for this event. It was obvious they used an old ad due to several "participants" aren't in business any more!!! ie: Alameda
Just thought it was funny!

I guess the thing that makes me the most sad about this is an odd personal connection: My dear bride, many years ago, was in charge of public relations for the Kentuckiana Girl Scouts. She did the job right. Now it seems that they have no idea how to get the word out about an important event with potential to make them real money, and that's frustrating.
no avatar
User

KimInge

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Old Louisville

Just found this site!

by KimInge » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi everyone. I wish I would've known about this site earlier. I was just made aware of this site and was so excited to see a post about Desserts First. Then I was saddened to see that there were restaurants/food businesses interested in the event and unable to contact us.

We did not purposely leave anyone out, we tried very hard to get the restaurants we did, through the Louisville Originals and the planning committee contacts. Now that we are aware of LouisvilleHotBytes.com, we will absolutely use them to promote this event in the future and we hope they will come on board as a sponsor next year!

The event on Thursday was very successful, lots of guests (over 500) and lots of wonderful and creative desserts. Please let me know if you have any questions about it. I'd be happy to sign you up for next year now! Thanks. -Kim Inge