Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yum Center bound? Dine at BBC first

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am

Yum Center bound? Dine at BBC first

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

BBC’s sirloin steak, served medium-rare as ordered.

Say what you will about the Yum Center – and I say it looks like the offspring of an unnatural union between a toaster oven and an ink-jet copier – you have to give it credit for helping foster a boom in good places to eat in its Main Street neighborhood. Like Bluegrass Brewing Company. And other good places, too, but BBC, I’m looking at you right now.

BBC’s arena shop popped up in August 2010, just in time to welcome the Yum, in the first three floors of the handsome white-stone 300 Building at Third and Main streets. The 1880 structure, originally the Kentucky Bank Building, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

It’s conveniently located diagonally across the street from the Yum, next door to ATL, and just a quick 2 1/2 block dash from the Kentucky Center for the Arts.

Of course other options abound in the neighborhood, too, from pricey Jeff Ruby’s, which was there to meet the Yum, and stylish, upscale MilkWood below Actors, which came along a bit later, to quick arrivals Impellizzeri’s Pizza, Merle’s Whiskey Kitchen, and Doc Crow’s, not to mention neighborhood pioneer Bearno’s by the Bridge, and drinks-focused Down One Bourbon Bar and Troll Pub Under the Bridge.

So there is plenty of choice around the Yum, and certainly arena-bound crowds helped drive the boom. BBC remains one of my top picks, though. It makes the case with a decent, quick and modestly priced meal, plus a glass of good local microbrew, before or after the show.

Currently the last BBC shop standing, it is rooted in Louisville’s oldest surviving brewpub, which launched in St. Matthews some 25 years ago and lasted until its closure last year. The BBC in Kindred Healthcare is also on construction hiatus, so for now, if you want BBC, this is the place to go. The locally brewed beer is the same, and the menu is familiar, kicked up to dining-room character with entrees that top out at $19 for an Angus sirloin plate.

Don’t worry, you can get your pub grub here, whether it’s fried pickle spears ($7, elevated with beer batter and crunchy panko), nachos ($12), brew house chili ($5 for a cup, $6 for a bowl), or BBC’s iconic wort hog wings ($12). But the bill of fare quickly moves up from pub land with a half-dozen salads - try the powerhouse ($11), loaded with healthy kale, quinoa, nuts and seeds). Pizzas are $13 to $14, or build your own pie starting at $10 and building up with a la carte toppings. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/yum-bound-choose-bbc

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Bluegrass Brewing Co.
300 W. Main St.
562-0007
http://bbcbrew.com
https://facebook.com/bluegrassbrewarena

Noise level: Variable. At best, conversation ranges from easy to possible, but noisy neighbors can spike the sound to a dull roar. (Average sound level 75-85, with peaks to 95.)

Accessibility: The three-floor restaurant is accessible to wheelchair users via a ramp and one-person elevator at the entrance on the Third Street side.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Yum Center bound? Dine at BBC first

by Jay M. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Did you dispense with the points ratings you used to include with the HotBytes versions of these critiques? It looks like it's been replaced with the decibel readings.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Jay M. wrote:Did you dispense with the points ratings you used to include with the HotBytes versions of these critiques? It looks like it's been replaced with the decibel readings.

Oops! No, actually, I forgot. D'oh! I think the formatting fooled me. I'll look at my notes and update tomorrow. Thanks for the nudge, Jay.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am

Not related to BBC on 3rd and Main, but I'm confused about the construction hiatus regarding BBC on 4th because I have seen mention that their sign is up, they are hiring and training and could be open as soon as next week?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:00 am

Yeah, we were in that block last night and I noticed that BBC Fourth looks almost finished, with lights on inside. I didn't have firm information when I wrote that last week, though, so fudged by saying it's currently on hiatus during the Kindred construction. That hiatus may end in five ... four ... three ...
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am

I heard the 4th st location is shooting for opening on the 9th.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 am

JustinHammond wrote:I heard the 4th st location is shooting for opening on the 9th.

From the way it looked last night, I would guess they're either in or approaching soft openings, so that makes sense.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Okay, I called the Arena branch, and they said the Kindred shop should open "sometime next week."